New look for Hotwire?

lindabobhat
By lindabobhat,
in

I too noticed this late last nite in the Chicago zone.

At first i thought that they were now grouping all the smaller zones into one larger zone, but on the 'offerings page' the properties are indeed broken into their previous smaller zones.

There are a few things i don't like about the new format (although i'm sure much of my dislikes will go away as i get used to it), but the biggest negative is that you used to be able to select a few zones and then hit the BACK button your browser to return to the zone select list... this no longer works in IE or Firefox (the two browsers i tried).

I suppose Hotwire figures this improves their business since a customer that might have only previously selected the NMA zone will now also be shown properties in the Loop and other downtown zones; so if the user didn't like the NMA properties and would have previously left without purchasing, maybe now the user would be tempted by an offering in one of the nearby zones which they dotherwise wouldn't have seen in the old format.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This will take some getting used to, a recent search had a tripadvisor.com "traveler rating" of a hotel, also the properties are no grouped according to zone (such as Secaucus-Meadowlands, Newark Airport, Jersey City) but are first shown in sequence of "Best Value". This may be changed to Star Rating or Price, but not by "area".

I don't like it, but will probably get used to it.

I notice also that they indicate what brands of hotels Hotwire deals with for the star level indicated (when you click onto an individual choice)--

I choose a 4 star offering and on the page is this:

Our 4-star hotel partners include:

Wyndham, Hilton, Westin

and the others:

Our 3.5-star hotel partners include:

Radisson, Crowne Plaza, Hilton Garden Inn

Our 3-star hotel partners include:

Holiday Inn, Doubletree, Four Points by Sheraton

Our 2.5-star hotel partners include:

Holiday Inn Express, Ramada, Wingate Inn

Our 2-star hotel partners include:

Comfort Inn, La Quinta, Days Inn

Our 1-star hotel partners include:

Econo Lodge, Red Roof, Super 8

Are these the same hotels they would've listed in their info (just not on each hotel offering) in the past?.. and do I take it that if i accept a 3*- I won't get stuck in a La Quinta under any circumstances?

nope-- I'm wrong.. when I look up Denver, and pick an area or two, then I get the screen that gives you your hotel options, click on the area which is in parenthesis (airport area, etc..)

But it doesn't show up that way in San Antonio, for instance.. but it does in Seattle...

Maybe its just in cities that they combined areas??

I see the "hotel partners" refered to and i can see where the confusion would lie, but i don't think that the ratings should be considered applicable to every hotel in the chain.

If a Hyatt is listed as a 3* hotel in one zone and a 4* hotel in another zone... i think they could (legally) list Hyatt in either category they choose.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]