Priceline Hotel: Berlin Christmas

dustoffmom
By dustoffmom,
in

Hello...have just registered here and glad I did. One of your other members who is a 'friend' from another forum I frequent led me here..thanks Will Travel!

I have never used PL or HW so am somewhat going blindly into this. I have indeed read all the FAQ's and feel I have a feel for how things are to be. Good newbie infomation here, again thanks.

I will be in Berlin over Christmas....dates somewhat flexible but in the area of either 23/24 through 27/28,,,rail pass allows me to adjust dates as needed. I have been in Europe 3 out of the past 4 years in Dec/Jan and know well that Christmas can be a problem with so many things closed. Therefor, while I generally travel pretty much bottom budget I always splurge for a nice place then...with a restaurant. If nothing else, they have to feed the guests. There are not a lot of posts on Berlin at the moment, so I am unsure where to start my bid. I'd appreciate a bit of help if anyone has sage advice to offer. Let's say I would like to get a place for $70 or so...is this possible?

My first instinct after reading through this board for the past 90 minutes or so is to just jump right on and start bidding! But no....there is a wealth of good info here so I thought I'd pose a question and wait for a reply. Thanks to any of you who have strategies to offer!

dustoffmom

Hadn't really thought of it yet.....have been there several times in the past and know that public transport is excellent so most anywhere can be 'okay'. However, that will likely be running, if at all, on a very reduced schedule 25/26 so probably ought to try for somewhere fairly central. Maybe around K'damm or Unter der Linden? Have to asume I'll need a 3* at least to have a restaurant, 4* would of course be even better! :) Be patient with me...as I said I am new to this and there doesn't seem to be much previous info to go on.

Also working on 'arrival' city of London for 15-18 November. But there is quite a bit posted on that already so feeling a bit more confident about giving that a try. I'll post when I do and what I bid and what may be accepted.

DOM

WOW! Please help the newbie out here as I am beyond baffled.

So...inputed my dates as 23/12-28/12 and went to the 'available' page to get an idea what was out there. So, they say in the 'East' region the following apply:

2* from 112

3* from 77

4* from 64

Huh? This is saying I could possibly get a 4* for about half what a 2* would cost? This is why I have never used PL before I think....it makes no sense and sounds too good to be true.

DOM

On that page is there a link anywhere that states "Name Your Own Price"?

The page you're looking for will read something like this:

Select the areas in Berlin where you want to stay. You'll always stay in a nationally recognized name-brand or quality independent hotel.

Improve Your Chances - Select 2 or More Areas Below:

Schloss Charlottenburg Area Details

Tiergarten - Kufuerstendamm Area Details

Kreuzberg Area Details

East Area Details

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

:)

Okay...I'll ignore that section. But upon further looking, prior to your last post, I did click further and found that it is the Art'otel is the one at 64...all else in that range are quite a bit more. And TripAdviser reviews are less than stellar for that property anyway.

Either East or Tiergarten will work for me...and I would like to keep it at $75-80 if possible. Less would, of course, be even better. But it has to be a 'decent' place with an in house restaurant for Xmas Day/Boxing Day. I lived in Germany for 6 years and know first hand how hard it can be to eat then! :)

Love the Charlottenburg area...but it is grayed out then. Just as well as it is certainly not 'mitte'.

Thanks for the help!

DOM

Thanks.

Actually a moot point...in Germany almost anything from 5 star luxury to no star zimmer frei that offers 'breakfast/restaurant' will have at a minimum a breakfast on holidays...many a 'brunch'. The problem can arise if one is in a hotel or gasthouse that does not include breakfast. Actually...that is pretty much true most anywhere....13 holiday seasons in last 18 have pretty much clued me in to what to look for. Appreciate your time....thanks again. I was simply looking to find some sort of 'bargain'. My web search continues. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Berlin last Christmas Dec 24-27 and was shocked to find many things open.The christmas market was actually open on Christmas Day and tour busses operated, as for public transport it was no problem.On dec 26 Many Dept stores were open as usual.I would highly reccomend going there as compared to other European cities where things are REALLY shut down for that period.I'm serously thinking of going back again.(I have some FFN to use at the Grand Hyatt). Good Luck

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]