TX San Antonio Holiday Inn Select Airport

LoneStar
By LoneStar,
in

I was initially a little disappointed to get this hotel (at 3 stars, you're hoping for something a little nicer than a Holiday Inn), but it was fine. Their airport shuttle was particularly speedy -- a definite plus because I usually find hotel shuttles to be a bit slow.

Last week I saw an interview of the company president who admitted that nobody knows what a "Select" Holiday Inn was (they're planning on adding some bells and whistles in the future to better differentiate the brand). Basically, it's like Starwood's Sheraton Four Points brand -- not quite nice enough in the Holiday Inn world to be a Crowne Plaza, but nicer than a typical Holiday Inn. In other words, it's a weak Priceline 3-star. I really think they should be 2 1/2 stars, but you go argue that with Priceline. :)

With that in mind, room decor and lobby furnishings are pretty good, but perhaps not as plush as a recently renovated Marriott, Hilton or Sheraton. And no fancy bedding and towels. But totally adequate and comfortable for a night's stay. Location was on a busy "hotel row" about 5 minutes from the airport. You might have been able to walk to a restaurant if you wanted to.

The front desk staff was pleasant, but I kept experiencing little screw ups. Like when I called the morning of my arrival to get a 2-bedded room and was told no problem, but then only got a king bed with fold-out sleeper. And when I called from the airport for pick-up and was told it would be 15 minutes. Instead the bus was waiting outside. Also, there was information in the room noting that toll free calls were, well, free. They charged me 50 cents each, but took it off when I complained.

I had breakfast at the hotel and their $8.95 buffet was, by fancy hotel standards, a good value. Very extensive with frills like an omelette station. And since it was a Holiday Inn, my kids ate free. Couldn't beat that deal, unless the priceline gods had given me an Embassy Suites. :)

• 8 months later...

Stayed at this hotel 6/11-6/14. I can't say that we had an unpleasant experience at this hotel, but it didn't really live up to expectations. This Holiday Inn Select was the second of three hotels that we stayed in during a week-long Texas trip over our anniversary. All were supposedly three-star hotels. Technically, I guess this hotel would qualify as an equal if you were just going down over a check-list. This hotel had a decent enough pool & hot tub,... they were just in an odd place (in the front of the hotel, between it and a busy highway). This hotel had a coffee shop,... it just never seemed to be open. This hotel had a gift shop,... it was just an 8 foot square hole-in-the-wall. The same ran true for the business center, fitness center, restaurant, laundry facilities, etc. This hotel had them all,... but barely. It just seemed to be trying to get by. There wasn't really anything "Select" about it other than the name.

In fairness, I didn't really notice some of the other issues that have been reported. There must have been some sort of a High School Band competition going on in San Antonio while we were there, and there were quite a few band members, and families staying at the property. We were not bothered at all by noise from other rooms and hallways. We also had no problems with the room cleanliness. There is construction on the frontage road and in their lot, but it wasn't really a problem.

Long story short; if you're looking for an OK stay, and you get a decent rate (we got for $75 off Priceline), feel free to select this hotel. You'll probably not be disappointed. If you're looking for a 3-Star hotel with all the extras, you may want to keep looking. This one may fall a little short.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]