Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) Grand Hyatt

antlori
By antlori,
in

I've been bidding for a 4* hotel in NYC for one night, Oct.29, up to $215 without success. I'm thinking of lowering to a 3* level but a little concerned about the quality of 3* hotels. Any "bidder beware" hotels on the Priceline 3* list? I've checked Tripadvisor but it's hard to tell as reviews are mixed.

I think you may have success at the 4* level if you want to increase another $10-$20... but if you want to pay that much is up to you.

Since you're already at $200+, why not take a look at Jersey City where the Hyatt appears to be available on Hotwire for $164... maybe even a little less on Priceline?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We thought about New Jersey but we're coming in for a weekend of theatre and feel the back-and-forth travel would be too much. My health isn't good right now and we just want to be somewhere close to the theatre area. I see the Sheraton on Hotwire for $245 so I might just do that. I always use the Savings Barn link when I bid.

Unfortunately there is a stinker 3* possibility in all the priceline NYC zones. 3*s I personally would avoid are MTE-Radisson Lexington, MTS-Jolly Madison, MTW-Paramount, Hudson.

And yet there are some very nice 3*s such as the Belvedere, the recently remodeled Doubletree Metropolitan, and many more.

If you feel nervous... The Sheraton Towers is a very good choice, any of the Affinia properties would be nice as well. Is hotwire offering anything interesting?

I've been trying as well without luck. I did find one place that allows a reservation with no penalty for cancelling up until arrival. It's a budget hotel but within your limit - the Portland Square, which is in the middle of the theatre district. Given your special requirements, you might consider it as your alternative: their site has all the information. You should read some reviews and decide.

the only thing the Portland Square hotel has going for it is location, but it is all downhill from here. Check out the reviews on tripadvisor.com and book with your eyes wide open. Yikes!! This "budget" hotel that charges $239 per night for a room with one queen bed???

I like NY, but these rates are getting out of hand......the hotels in and around Secaucus, NJ are looking better every day, especially with weekend rates lower than midweek and 30 mins by bus to the Port Authority Bus Terminal..... but you sure don't get the full NYC experience.

Luck was with me today. My 72 hours was up so I went back to try again. I checked Hotwire first and saw a 4* MTE for $220 which I thought was the Grand Hyatt or the Intercontinental so I figured I would take that if nothing came up lower on Priceline. I started with MTW at $190 and went up to $210 with no luck. Closed browser and started again with MTE at $180 and got the Grand Hyatt right off the bat. Considering I had been trying off and on for 2 weeks and bidding up to $215 with no luck, I am very happy with $180.

Thanks. I was so happy to get 2 good hotels within my budget. When the Grand Hyatt/Intercontinental came up on Hotwire today at $220 I almost grabbed it but decided to give Priceline a try first. Now I'm glad I did. I also purchased tickets to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels today so the trip is really starting to come together.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll certainly remember not to take a chance on a Priceline 3* hotel in New York.

I didn't add any comments before, because I really don't know anything about NYC, but I was reading your posts and cheering for you. You have such a straightforward approach and your posts generated some really good discussion about hotels and choices. I hope your health is the best it can be for your visit and that your hotels work out better than you expect! Or vice-versa! I hope you'll let us know how your stay goes.... :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]