JFK-> MBJ Priceling Name Your Own Price

Schnitz85
By Schnitz85,
in

I have been teetering on the fence regarding booking my flight through priceline's Name your own price feature, but I am extremely hesitant because I don't want to be sitting in an airport all day or getting there late in the day and risk the chance of losing a day.

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with this? Or can someone lend a hand as to what my possible outcomes could potentially be? Thanks so much in advance.

The dates are 11/11-11/15 JFK to MBJ (Montego Bay)

Here is a link to the average and maximum connection times for International Travel: Priceline Airfare Layover Times

Is the maximum wait time acceptable? If so, what is the best rate you're able to find thru a conventional booked method, and how much of a discount would you need in order to make an 'opaque airfare' worthwhile?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would definitely be OK with a connection.

Currently the best I am able to find is $433. Which I am not opposed to paying. But, if I could significantly cut my costs (to the tune of closer to $300 (If that is possible at all?) I would definitely be willing to take a chance. I just wouldn't want to land at 10 PM and miss the whole day like I said. The added cost might outweigh the ~$100. Do you know what flights they tend to lean towards? Is there some sort of way to know the flights they choose from?

Did you click on the previous link supplied?

It shows you the maximum connection times for flights from the US to various locations, which appears to be your issue, not whether or not you would accept a connection or not.

Are you OK with the maximum time indicated for this route? If so, would you need to save $133 to make an opaque purchase worthwhile? (or would $100 be enough?? $75?? $50??)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I just wouldn't want to land at 10 PM and miss the whole day like I said. The added cost might outweigh the ~$100. Do you know what flights they tend to lean towards? Is there some sort of way to know the flights they choose from?

With bidding, there really isn't any way to protect yourself from that 10PM arrival (or very early departure for that matter).

And there isn't enough of a track record to guess what flights are more likely to be used. They do only use the major carriers. I looked at the various flights for your dates. I can see DL,AA, US, JetBlue, Caribbean, AC, and there may be others. I don't know whether JetBlue and Caribbean would participate? There also are flights at various times pretty much all day long.

Have you read through the airfare bidding reports from other members here? You might be able to detect a slight pattern from JFK to the Caribbean? I do know US seems to come up more often than not for bids from MSP (my son bids from here occasionally).

As thereuare is saying, you are the one to figure out if a more expensive direct flight that lands you there before noon is worth the added cost. There have been points in my life where a couple block walk in the winter to save a dime have been worth it. On the other hand, there have been points where those "lie flat" seats in Business Class have been worth it.

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]