No More Starwood Benefits on HW or PL Stays

Welldone Rumproast
By Welldone Rumproast,
in

I can't say I am surprised. Many hotels don't want to honour Elite status on 'cheap' stays, anymore. Although you tend to stay and spend quite a lot in order to qualify for their Gold/Platinum levels. Even if you do some Priceline/Hotwire bookings, you are still giving them quite a bit of revenue! I have maintained Elite status with SPG for some years now, but I think this year will be my last. Even on the higher revenue stays, they don't necessarily do much to recognize the loyalty/status, so I am starting to think Priceline/Hotwire is the way to go for ALL stays that I pay for.

Does Hilton still plan to recognize their status members on all stays? I know they tend to give me room upgrades, even on PL/HW stays. And I think Hyatt does, too.

• 5 months later...

I just got back from a stay at the Seattle Sheraton (a Hotwire purchase) and am not an "Elite" member. I had my Starwood card number attached to the reservation at check-in, and was asked if I preferred a higher or lower floor and was offered a $30 upgrade to club level. They may do this for everyone, but the $30 upgrade would have been valuable if I wanted to eat the food provided in the Club lounge. I was quite surprised that they would offer it to Hotwire customers, as I was getting such a bargain price on the room.

When I checked out and looked at my bill, I saw that they credited me Starwood points on my parking and phone calls, so it still pays to present your card -- even if they're reducing their benefits there still seems to be a few.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I am Hhonor gold level and my recent priceline stays with Hilton have actually been -worse- when I presented my gold status card. On two seperate properties, the reservation desk threw back my card and demanded photo id, then gave me a lecture (loudly, so everyone could hear) on how priceline stays get nothing. I then received the absolute worst room on the lowest floor. I am through with Hilton and will avoid bidding on priceline zones that have a high chance of landing with them.

i have thought for some time now that showing your "LOYALTY" card for a priceline stay actually indicates NO LOYALTY to the hotel and could work against one...since you didn't actually CHOOSE the hotel...in this case hilton...you showed no loyalty...yet you expect them to jump for joy that you are an hhonor gold member. kitty needs to grow up...and if you want preferential treatment...PAY FOR IT...

on business trips i can't use priceline...so i enjoy the perks of wyndham...hhonor and starwood programs...my last couple of leisure trips i experimented by showing once and not showing three times...no difference in how i was treated or accomodated...

but i felt better NOT showing my gold starwood card...showing it with a cheap priceline rate made me feel...DISLOYAL...

i understand about the...incidentals...i'm just not sure it's worth it...it seems so many...loyalty members...get upset at the way they were treated...or rather..NOT TREATED...as a preferred gold...or preferred platinum...whatever...

looking at it from the front desk point of view...you are not displaying any loyalty to my hotel chain purchasing through priceline...but when presenting the...loyalty card...you are "saying" non-verbally...i am expecting to be treated as a...fill in the blank level loyalty member...

when they tell you that an obviously less than full hotel can't put you on a higher floor...or better room...they are "saying" non-verbally...you are getting what you paid for...next time go through our reservations with your...loyalty card number...

if a customer of mine is purchasing products of mine that are parallel import items...or distressed items...or through any other channel...yet he thinks he's being...loyal to me...and expects...value added support...he is mistaken and i tell him so...

so to the meowinkitty's of the world...if you think the...points earned from...incidentals...are worth it...go for it...but understand why the priceline customer next to you...who doesn't show his...loyalty card...may be treated a bit nicer...they may be trying to get a REAL loyal customer onboard...

either way...the savings can be substantial...and if i don't get a...warm fuzzy reception...or if i receive a particularly icy sharp reception...i just think of what i will do with the hundreds of dollars i save on hotels...problem solved...

Personally, I think it all depends on your attitude. The nicer you are, the more you get.

I recently paid 65 for my stay in Ft. Laud, Sheraton Yankee clipper. I called after making the reservation, requested a starwood number and talked to customer service about my upcoming trip( honeymoon).

We were given a full ocean view room, a starwood credit for 500 points( because the phone didnt work after they fixed it one time) and a 25$ credit because the gym was ill equipped for a complete workout.

Now, our next stay at a Sherton will be a full price stay,( 96US) in Montreal. I doubt I could get that hotel any cheaper on priceline and even if I could get it for say 75, it wouldnt be worth it after the taxes and fee's and I wouldnt earn starwood points.

Happy Travelling, Randi
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]