Hotwire vs. Priceline-Difference in price, fees?

andypt7
By andypt7,
in

Just was wondering if anyone has noticed a trend in price comparison for Hotwire vs. Priceline. For example, I have booked several times in Chicago, Milwaukee and Madison, WI using the strategy of checking prices in certain neighborhoods on Hotwire, then going to Priceline and using the price from Hotwire as my "ceiling" for bidding. Using the multi-zone re-bid strategy, I have been able to get accepted bids on Priceline for similar neighborhood and same star levels for $10-15 less on Priceline vs. Hotwire. Hasn't always worked, but at times it has.

Also, along the same lines, am I correct in assuming that Priceline's fees/taxes are slightly less than Hotwire? I am currently looking for a hotel in Chicago (see post in hotwire forum), and have an offer of $132 on Hotwire for a 4.5* for 2 nights. The taxes and fees on Hotwire are approx $64. I went over to Priceline and put in a bid of $132 and clicked on "Preview Offer" and the fees were listed as $52 and change. Not sure if this is the case with all cities but just something I noticed and will take into account.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]