Priceline Hotel: NYC 3-4* 11/3-11/7, is $125 unreasonable?

aptman
By aptman,
in

Wife & I are going to NYC for a wedding in November (isn't that one of the cheapest times to travel there?). Anyways, I've seen some remarkable prices up here ($120 for the Hilton? Amazing), and I've completely failed at getting anything, in any zone, 3-4* for up to 130. Am I completely doomed? Do I need to downgrade? I really don't want to spend more than this amount as we are going for so many days, the cost will be high no matter how much I get knocked off the price.

Am I being realistic, or is this pie in the sky stuff here?

Please advise.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Not sure if you were being sarcastic or just don't know, but November is one of the most expensive times in NYC. Does the wedding have a group rate at a specific hotel (if so, where and how much?)

If you let us know the actual dates of your stay we will be able to help further.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Absolutely not being sarcastic, I had no idea that November was busy, I figured that it was the slow season since everyone's in school and the weather's not too great then. My trip is arriving 11/3 and leaving 11/7. I can come a day later on 11/4, but my stronger preference is to have the extra day since I'm coming from the west coast, and I want to maximize my time there.

The wedding's in Brooklyn, and the couple are not on the ball with hotels yet. We want to stay in Manhattan regardless, preferably in the Times Square area, but truthfully anywhere mid-town is works.

Thanks so much for the help.

What a bummer about the high rates, and here I thought this would be a cheap time to visit NYC. I really don't want to spend more than $125 a night (and preferably even less), and would prefer to stay in as nice a place as possible for that price. Previous trips to NYC have resulted in very poor places at that range. I am relatively flexible about the location, and the hotel doesn't even need to be a high class place. What kind of a place do you think I'd get for a 2* or a 2.5*? Would it be a tiny hole of a room terrible conditions in a bad hood? Is it worth it to bid on something like that? Any help you can give me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks once again.

$125 used to get a PRICELINE 4* now forget it. Price went crazy.

NEW JERSEY? Well only place i would consider is JERSEY CITY and that is right across from NYC Great views.

Only two hotels there. HYATT and Double tree. Hyatt is reported nicer.

You can ask Thereuare for Bidding help. It has been reported people get these hotels for $50 to $150 or more.

it is a 15 min path train. I did hear Path is expensive like $7 or $14. You would need to call the hotles direct to confirm or bounce this myth.

Thereyouare is the expert. So I leave the rest to him.

BTW the Airport hotels Stink and are far from NYC about 30 min.

there are no good queens or Brooklyn hotels. SO that leaves NYC and JERSEY City.

$125 wont make it, but that does not mean you cant try

It is reported that Nov is a busy time and people paying $250 or more through Priceline. As I said the Retail prices are over $500 and that is just NUTS.

GLTY

The hotels for Midtown WEST for 2.5 and 2 star

2.5 Star

The Mansfield

The Belvedere

The Washington Jefferson

2 Star

Howard Johnson Plaza

Wellington Hotel

Milford Plaza

The Milford is a Dump Imo, BUT GREAT LOCATION. Half a block from Marriott Marquis

I do not know how much they go for or how they are. Look at http://www.tripadvisor.com

people post their experience of the hotels

What ya know some people liked the MILFORD. Guess it takes all types lol

Again ask thereyouare for bidding help

GLTY

Jersey City is the best alternative to NYC, but the Hyatt is not likely available (nor at $150 or less) for your dates. You might be able to get the Candlewood Suites for a price around your budget.

The PATH train is only $1.50 each way.

If Jersey City doesn't work for you budget-wise you could then look around the Meadowlands area where you will proably pay half as much, but it's not nearly as convenient as staying in NYC or Jersey City... you'll commute by bus which isn't too bad as long as it's not rush hour, probably take about 20 minutes or so. However, staying in the Meadowlands area is more like traveling to a suburb and visiting NYC on a day trip rather than traveling to actually visit NYC itself. Even in Jersey City you lose some of the "NYC feel", but it's even more so in the Meadowlands area.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Wow, I never realized how SOL I was traveling in November. What I want more than anything is a good location in Manhattan, preferably Midtown East nearish to Times Square, but I'm relatively flexible as long as I'm either mid-town or downtown (how can you complain about Chelsea or the Village?).

I would also prefer to spend $125 or less, but I'm more than happy to stay someplace like a HoJos or something of that sort. I've just seen such junk in NYC that I get leery about a no name place, at least HoJos is a national chain and I can expect a basic room there (I hope I'm not incorrect about that).

So, definitely Manhattan, absolutely not Jersey or one of the other boroughs, preferably mid-town, but south works, and so would the upper East or West side too, if that's all that's available. Also, preferably $125 or less, and not a complete dump where we have no room to even lay down a suitcase or have to share a bathroom.

Is that possible (incredible how I've downgraded my expectations here, isn't it)?

Is it better to do it around now, or should I wait until closer to the date?

If i may quote (paraphrase) dahammer from an earlier thread: Supply is Fixed, Demand is High... Rates go Higher.

The hotels know that these are peak dates and they will try to get as much as they can for their rooms. One of your best sources may be a consolidator who are not as likely to adjust their prices on a date-to-date basis, and if you check both EasyClickTravel (i wouldn't bother with their "on request" selections for these dates) and QUIKBOOK (on both you can sort by price) you'll see that availability starts at ~$200/nite for something that is not a dormitory or shared bath situation.

Search Hotwire for all midtown zones as well as Upper East and Upper West (and even Downtown which i don't think you really want) and the cheapest for these dates are $300+.

Based upon the above, i don't think you'll likely find what you're looking for, even for a HoJo (which i think you'd probably be disappointed in anyway)

you might want to use the Travel Links to Support BetterBidding above, click on the link for Comfort Inns, there is a Comfort Inn in Brooklyn and one in Long Island City, this should get you close to the wedding. These will be less than $150 but you will not get a "NYC" feel from staying here, you will be commuting into the city on the train. I have never stayed at either of these properties, you might want to check out tripadvisor.com to see if any feedback has been posted as well as call the hotels directly.

thanks for the $1.50 Path train report Thereyouare. I thought the $7 was not true.

As far as $125 for a nice place in Midtown? Nope

Sorry the facts are harsh.

You can keep trying on priceline for a 4* or 3* for $125 you might get lucky,

Some people reporting the HILTON for $120 on some dates. like one or 2 night

Thanks again for all of the feedback. In the end, I went on Craiglist and found a studio apartment in the east village for $100 per night. I'm hoping I don't get screwed on this (that would monumentally suck), but it seems legit, and while it's not in the most opportune part of town for siteseeing, it's a great neighborhood. All in all, not what I had been looking for, but ultimately, all I need is a room and a bed and not much more.

Thank you all for the help, and I'm going to tell my friend that she chose the absolutely worst time to get married.

Hey, at least we're in Manhattan, not in Jersey City or near the airports.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]