Hotwire Hotel: 2* Annapolis Best Western

ufauxreal
By ufauxreal,
in

We are just starting to check into going to Annapolis in late Dec. I found this at Hotwire: $34/nite 2*;

Selected amenities include:silkHotAmenities2: Airport Shuttle, Complimentary Breakfast, Pool(s), Fitness Center, High-Speed Internet Access, Laundry Facilities (self-service). Do you think this is the Annapolis Homestead Inn?? Any other guesses? The Airport Shuttle puzzles me... which airport??

JB

Baltimore-Washington International is the closest airport to Annapolis and its about 30 minutes away. I had stayed at the Country Inn and Suites a few years ago for a meeting; the hotel operates a shuttle bus, but its doubtful that they would use it to make a one hour round trip to BWI. This chain is typically rated as a 2.5*. Some hotels can charge a fee for the airport shuttle according to Hotwire. The Homestead does not have a pool. This shuttle amenity is a real curve ball.....

PS, what are your dates of travel?

Annapolis is a great little historic town for walking, window shopping, dining, and of course, imbibing.....the only problem with staying at a place like the Best Western, Country Inn and Suites, and Radisson is that they are all on the outskirts of town and you will need to drive 5-10 minutes and try and find a parking spot. If you could get the Loews, Marriott or O'Callaghan Hotel, you are within walking distance to many attractions that Annapolis has to offer. A great little B&B is Gibson's Lodgings, right next to the Naval Academy.

yup, the waterfront is where you want to be, I can't imagine that Annapolis being busy at that time of year, hopefully, time is on your side for bidding. The Marriott is right on the water and, IMO, the best hotel location in Annapolis. You could just leave your car and walk all over, ducking into one of the many taverns to stave off the winter chill. Make sure to check out the Naval Academy. Use your savings and spluge on a great dinner at Lewnes Steakhouse in the Eastport area of Annapolis, it might set you back $100 per person, but you will not regret it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...

OK.. I am ready to start bidding for Annapolis. Dates are Dec. 27th through Jan. 1st. I know this is the Hotwire section, but I'm willing to use either Hotwire or Priceline. Today, Hotwire was showing:

3.5* @ $63 Amen: Fitness, Restaurant, Tennis nearby, Golf nerby, Pool, Business Center.

3* @ $79 Amen: Restaurant, pool, fitness

2* @ $43 Amen: Compl breakfast, pool, high speed internet, fitness, laundry, airport shuttle.

Unfortunately, Hotwire doesn't distinguish areas of Annapolis. The 2* @ $43 including breakfast is tempting. The amenities match the Country Suites Inn... including the shuttle Do you think this might be a match?

If I were to try Priceline Waterfront area, what do you recommend as a bidding strategy? Where should I start bidding. Time is on my side so I am not really concerned about free re-bids. The waterfront area has 3*. 2.5* and 2* listed. I would probably be OK with either a 3* or 2.5*. Budget is not really a fixed issue at this point.

Does anyone know if the waterfront hotels generally charge for parking? On tripadvisor several folks commented on vallet parking charges, but not sure if they have self-park at no charge?

Thanks!

JB

The Marriott charges $17 per day and the O'Callahan hotel charges $11 per day. The 3.5* hotel appears to be the Radisson, the 3* could be the Sheraton. You may want to buy one night then when you find out the name of the property, you can match up the amenities and buy the remainder of your stay. The 2* has not been reported and might be the Best Western.

If you plan on bidding, you will need to indicate your maximum bid ammount. Since your last night is new years eve, this may keep you from winning a hotel for your entire stay in the waterfront zone, so would you be open to splitting your bid?

If I have to pick a top budget amount, I guess i would say $75. Would this be feasible? I'd really rather not split the bid. Are the Radisson and the Sheraton in the Waterfront area? I thought I saw someone recently got the Sheraton for $59, but that it was not by the waterfront.

Thanks for the info on parking.

JB

The Radisson or Sheraton are not in the waterfront area, it is outside of the historic area of Annapolis, both are right off the main highway Rt. 50. The only hotels in the Waterfront distirct are the Marriott, Loews, and O'Callahan. Not sure what the 2* listing represents, this might be a B&B or a small Inn. Not sure what your opening bid for a 3* or 2.5* should be, thereuare can hopefully furnish a stratgegy.

All the properties outside of the Historic area are but a 5-10 minute drive away, so the trade off is to get a lower priced accomodation and then drive into town and find a parking spot. On street parking is available as well as parking decks, and metered surface lots. The end of your stay is New Year's Eve weekend, so hotels in the waterfront area might not want to sell room inventory through Priceline for those two nights, so this could affect your bidding for your entire stay.

Based upon dahammer's additonal comments above let us know which area(s) you are considering and at what maximum bid amount.

I'm guessing that 12/31 may be a tough win and/or require a higher bid than the other dates... but i haven't yet looked at any of the specific rates yet as i'm not quite sure if you are considering "off-waterfront" properties.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Maximum bid amount is $75. I am trying for the Waterfront area first. If after several bids that doesn't work out I would go to other areas, but I really don't wnt to

I just bid at Priceline. Started at $45 for a 3*... rejected. Added 2.5*, also at $45.. rejected. (Didn't really expect to be accepted at that low $$, but I have time, so I figured I'd give it a shot. In 3 days, I'll up the bids to $50.

I checked the hotels and in general, the rates for 12/31 increased a little... like maybe $20 more. That was for 3* or higher. Hotels that were not near the waterfront generally didn't even raise rates for that day. Annapolis does have a 'First Night' planned down by the Waterfront area so I would expect rates to go up there.

If I can't get a hotel within our budget, we will grab one of the Hotwire properties.

Thanks for the help.

JB

After thinking it over, I decided to bid on the 2* at Hotwire. It was the Best Western Hotel. Hopefully, it will be OK. Here are the details:

Best Western Annapolis

2520 Riva Road

Annapolis, Maryland 21401

(410) 224-2800

Check-in: Tue, Dec 27, 2005 Check-out: Sun, Jan 1, 2006

Midscale

1 room(s) @ $39.00 per night x 5 night(s) $195.00

Hotel Taxes and fees: $30.67

Hotel Subtotal $225.67

Total Price $225.67

Amenities: Compl breakfast, pool, high speed internet, fitness, laundry, airport shuttle.

I'll write a review after the trip.

Thanks to all for your help!

JB

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]