MSY (New Orleans) --> CLT (Charlotte)

bctouchet
By bctouchet,
in

I know you guys recommend the links and let me start by saying I used your link to go to the Priceline page. I am trying to bid on a ticket from LFT or MSY (preferably LFT) to CLT for July 20, 2013 to July 24, 2013. I checked the Southwest website (MSY - CLT) and a flight is roughly $375 so I used that as a measure. I set my first bid at $180. The site declined my bid and said that the best it could find was out of MSY for $272 and another option for around $370. I decided to re-bid at $181 and had the same result and telling me the best price is $272. I have a couple questions.

1. Is it telling me that the cheapest "Name Your Price" price is $272? Is it pointless for me to bid anything less?

2. I know that the day and time you purchase a ticket can effect the ticket price and that typically the cheapest time to buy tickets is Tuesday mornings. Would this also affect my chances of my bid being accepted?

3. Please help/advise!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You can try undercutting the $272 counter-offer, and while you can choose whatever increments you'd like, i wouldn't waste my time with $1 increments when your bid is less than half the prevailing rates. If tickets are $375 would it really make that much of a difference if you pay $180, $181, $185, or even $190?? I suggest increments anywhere from $5-$25 depending upon how far away from your maximum bid or the counter-offer you are... larger increments when you are further away; smaller increments when you are closer to your maximum bid or the suggested counter-offer.

As 'retail' prices change it would seem logical that the amount needed for a winning bid would change as well, but just like 'the best day of the week to buy airline tickets', it is more of an art then a science, and there is not a direct correlation. I suggest research prevailing rates thru traditional booking channels, determine what would be a good price to make an opaque purchase worthwhile, and then try to win at that price or less... regardless of what day of the week it is. A deal that you may consider to be 'good' today may not be available a few days later if you decide to hold out for some given day of the week.

I have seen retail rates for airline tickets, hotel rooms, and car rentals go up in price and have a lower bid price be accepted then had previously been tried... i have also seen counter-offers suggested by PRICELINE on any given day not be available the following day as inventory and pricing had changed in the 24 hours between bids.

The best tip for airfare is knowing how to use re-bid using different cities as your search criteria, as explained in this Priceline Airfare Re-Bidding thread. Please give it a read and feel free to ask any questions that you may have.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Good luck and let us know how your bidding goes or how we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Offer was accepted for 7/19-7/24 (originally 7/20) MSY -> CLT at $235! I started at $200 with LFT -> CLT, then $225 and added MSY to outgoing option, then $230 by adding BTR (logistically between LFT and MSY). I was also flexible on days though so I switched to 7/19 and $235 was accepted!

Thanks!

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you're pleased with the deal you received and hopefully the times/connections are convenient for your plans.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Have a great trip.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]