Using Priceline/Hotwire or Booking Direct

missdaisy
By missdaisy,
in

Hi There!

Perhaps this has been asked before, but I am curious to know if anyone has experienced any difference in treatment/service by hotel staff when reservations have been made through priceline/hotwire as opposed to booking direct.

Did it effect what type of room you recieved or the overall experience- ie. problems retrieveing the reservation, etc.?

I am currently booked into the Aladdin (booked direct) as a back up for 10/28-10/31 but have seen good rates for the MGM on Hotwire. (Would prefer MGM as Aladdin is undergoing construction). If I called MGM directly, would they match the Hotwire rates?

Any thoughts on the pros/cons of booking through Priceline/Hotwire versus direct to the hotel?

Thanks!

The threads above would be a good place to look, but to answer one of your questions, Hotels will not match a Hotwire or Priceline rate.

In downtown Chicago, I have never had a problem with booking via Hotwire or Priceline, as I keep in mind that obviously, I'm not going to wind up in the presidential suite when I'm paying half price. Many people have had some differing treatment when booking via these services, however.

A few stories:

I've stayed at two different Marriott hotels (Residence Inn Downtown Chicago and a Courtyard Marriott not far away) and both hotels acted as if I was a normal guest. The Residence Inn actually asked where I'd like to be in the hotel and offered me a room near the top floor with a view (partially obstructed, but still gorgeous) of the lake.

Got the Westin River North in Chicago for $69, and desperately wanted a river view room. They offered me a $40 upgrade (which included breakfast) and I took it, as I'd still be paying $109 + tax for a room that would be $239+tax. The desk service was pretty chilly, it took a while to actually get the breakfast certificates because they weren't offered to us at check-in, and they double charged me for the upgrade. However, the room itself was very nice and offered an unbelievable (I think I took about 50 pictures out the window) view of the city.

Miss Daisy

I think we must have got the worst room in the whole hotel when we were at the Venetian in Las Vegas. The room itself was beautiful but construction started below our low floor room at 5am and service was poor in relation to dealing with this issue.

I doubt that the poor service related to the price paid but perhaps the room allocation did.

On the whole the rooms we have received have been no worse or better than bookings done via various other means. In fact some of the best service we have received has been at properties where we got real bargains, Hyatt Valencia springs to mind. We have only used Priceline and Hotwire on higher graded properties so it may be different for lower graded properties.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]