Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Toronto (Markham) Hilton Suites Toronto/Markham Conference Center and Spa

ohaio
By ohaio,
in

Hi guys, me again. The stay from our priceline winning bid at the Chicago Sax Hotel was excellent. Easy walk to the free Navy Pier trolley. Decided to go with the Wendella tour based on your recommendations. Overall very nice mini vacation. We are now planning a trip to Canada.

Looking for a 4* Toronto Downtown North South checkin August 2nd for one night. Saw the express deal for $162/night...seems high. Any idea which hotel this might be?

4 Star Hotel in Downtown Toronto South Area for $162/night

Rated 7.0 out of 10 (or higher)

Guaranteed Amenities:

Free Internet

Indoor or Outdoor Pool

Restaurant

Business Center

Fitness Center

Thanks

Glad to see you enjoyed your Chicago stay.

For help with the PRICELINE EXPRESS Downtown North property please include the amenities that PRICELINE associates with that hotel.

Is you intention to try bidding on PRICELINE first for a lower price then the express deals above?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Whoops, that was a typo on the priceline zone. I am looking for a DT South hotel and the express deal is for the area I want.

Yes, I would like to bid to get a lower price since I saw that others were able to get 4* rooms for around $85. These were for June-July dates but hoping prices don't change that much for August.

I used the BiddingHelper.com, do you get the same credit as the direct links? I like BH because the tabs are so convenient to quickly go from site to site.

Glad to hear you like the BiddingHelper.com :) Using that is the same for us as using the links on the board, and i guess this might be a good time to mention that in a week or two the BiddingHelper.com will be getting even better! (just putting the finishing touches on an update... so be sure to check again within the next week or two)

With PRICELINE EXPRESS at $162/nite for a 4* hotel in these zones the chances of the $85/nite rates available for your dates is fairly unlikely. So we don't suggest a strategy that goes higher then you're willing to pay, what is your maximum bid for a 4* hotel in the Downtown South zone?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The main thing we want to do in Toronto is eat fresh asian tropical fruits. Being near Chinatown would be convenient for that purpose. Not sure what else to do in Toronto. Is there an extreme thrill boat ride like Chicago's Seadog? The younger kids weren't too impressed by the slow architectural tour boat.

Would like to stay in the $100~125/night range for 4*. With around ten 4* hotels in that zone, I hoped prices were lower. May need to drop to 3*+ to get the price we want.

When bidding 4* in Toronto you have ELEVEN re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Downtown South...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $113, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125

Any questions feel free to ask.

I haven't been in a LOOONG time, but when i was a kid Toronto had an excellent Science and Technology Museum, i would at least look into that to see if rating suggest if it is still good or not. Also, search Viator for 'Toronto' which should at least give you some ideas of things to do in the area.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Spent more than I wanted for the Niagara hotel. Now trying to stay within budget for a Saturday (8/3) night stay in Toronto. With the Caribbean festival, downtown doesn't look like it's possible.

What other zones are good for $75/night and possibly free parking, 3* minimum? Something like a Skokie in Chicago.

If you look at the PRICELINE map the Don Valley zone is the closest to the Downtown area, but other zones could put you as much as 10-15 miles outside of Downtown, is this acceptable?

At this point, I'd take the 30 minute drive to save $150 off 4* hotel. There is a PRICELINE EXPRESS deal for Airport East @ $66 4*. But the airport has a parking fee so I would pay double parking for airport and downtown. How bad is parking for downtown on a weekend? We have a large group so not sure a bus pass would be good.

I'm not local to this area so unfortunately i can't comment in regards to parking during the weekend.

There isn't much time before your stay but maybe somebody more local to the area or who travels to this area frequently will comment.

Dont stay near the airport. Parking isn't terrible for downtown, but most of it is metered. If you find a corner parking lot it's usually $20 parking for the day. I won the Thompson Hotel in Downtown South for $92 a night. You weren't able to stay in the budget bidding for Downtown South with Thereuare's PRICELINE bidding strategy???

If you're looking for asian fruit and that type of demographic I would suggest Markham as a backup to your desired location. In Markham there's North America's largest indoor asian mall so if you're in the market for asian fruits, Hello Kitty anything, cell phone cases, pirated movies, it's a good place to take in. http://www.pacificmalltoronto.com/

If you are looking for a thrill, there's always Canada's Wonderland. Bring a cooler with drinks and sandwiches and leave it in your trunk. You can leave the park without leaving the parking lot. Otherwise it's $15 for a pop with free (hard to find) refills.

Tickets are pricey, but make sure you tell them you're American. They won't ask. They sell Canadians more expensive passes that have a "second day redemption in same season" as a base ticket.

If you do happen to go down to Chinatown off of Spadina Ave. make sure you venture into Kensington Market. There's good finds, interesting eats, usually buskers and some other entertainment.

shameless, thanks for the information. I was really leaning towards the airport. Guess it was the cheapskate in me seeing the $60+ for 4*. Why won't you recommend the airport?

Markham looks to be the equivalent of Skokie in Chicago. There was a PRICELINE EXPRESS Deal for 3.5* in Markham for $104 including free parking. But when I clicked on the link it said no longer available. Now it's $126 without the free parking. Do these Express Deals move that quickly or is it priceline's way to get you to act??? Not knocking PL since it's the only reason I can enjoy 4* hotels.

That mall looks cool. Might be dangerous with wife and kids...any savings from hotel will go towards shopping spree. :)

I tried for 4* DT North and South and rejected at $125. Also failed for 3.5* at $125. Even 3* rejected at $105. I'll give DT another try before moving to Markham.

Edit: A little more digging suggests that the Express Deal I saw was for the Sheraton Parkway. They allow pets and always have free parking. The Hilton Suites Markham has a nominal parking fee and not sure if they allow pets.

But when I clicked on the link it said no longer available. Now it's $126 without the free parking. Do these Express Deals move that quickly or is it priceline's way to get you to act???

It's more technical then this, but the easiest way to explain it is to think of it like this:

Rates and availability are downloaded in mass and updated every x hours (let's say every 2 hours in this example). This enables rate searches to be completed quickly since the data is already 'in-house' on the server and doesn't require an external call to a supplier for each search. Once you click the BOOK NOW button to make the purchase, actual real time availability is checked to confirm that the same hotel and rate is available as per the last download, and 99% of the time it likely is the same, but if it is no longer available (somebody else bought the last room(s), the hotel changed the price or pulled the inventory, etc) then you're given some message informing you that it is no longer available.

Sometimes a hotel may only put one room for sale at a time, and once they are notified that the one room has been sold, they replenish the inventory... sometimes that is all that was offered and the hotel is not seen again for those dates (or not again at that price).

Airport and surrounding area is pretty much dead with the exception of a strip of restaurants. And it's not really accessible by Toronto's limited subway system. There is the GO train that can be accessed from as far as Burlington, but I don't know how the weekend schedules are like. http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/travelling/newtogo.aspx

As always, staying a little bit outside the city will take extra planning but it will save you $.

Success! Had to stay outside of downtown but with Shameless's suggestion we got a good alternate location. Thanks again Shameless, I really appreciate your help. I enabled email notifications of replies so if any one has questions, I'd gladly pay it forward.

The PRICELINE EXPRESS Deal was $88/night and didn't show Free Parking but they do allow Pets. So I think the difference in amenities for Hilton and Sheraton in Markham is free parking.

I used the 5% off coupon which expires today. The $82/night is before coupon. I don't why they keep making you re-enter the coupon code for each bid. Maybe it's to trip up BBers who have 10+ rebid zones. :)

Hilton Suites Toronto/Markham Conference Center And Spa

3½ star Markham

8500 Warden Avenue, Markham, ON L6G 1A5

Check-In: Sat, Aug 3, 2013 / After 04:00 PM

Check-Out: Sun, Aug 4, 2013 / 12:00 PM

Rooms: 2 rooms / 1 night

$82/night

FYI: I tried for DT North and South today with no luck up to $132 for 3.5*+

thereuare: thanks for the insight into PRICELINE. Express Deal prices seem to fluctuate a lot. My suggestion is to jump on the Express Deal if it's close to your target price. I missed a deal for Saturday night in Niagara that I wish to get back. It flashed once but I hesitated and was too late clicking it. The deal never came again.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you're pleased with the deal you received for this leg of your trip and that the information on the board (and our users :) ) were helpful with your purchase.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy this part of your trip.

There will be a lot less traffic coming into the city at Markham than coming from the west as well. Congrats on the win!

If you do want to check out Chinatown, I usually park here 40 Larch St Toronto, ON M5T 1C9. It's safe, and I recommend walking up to Kensington market as well.

Enjoy!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]