Hotwire Hotel: 5* New York City (Central Park East) Hotel Plaza Athenee New York

MareLuce
By MareLuce,
in

Star rating: 5-star

Check-in date: Wed, Aug 7

Check-out date: Sun, Aug 11

Hotel Rate per night: $429.00

5-star Hotel in Times Square - Theatre District

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Free Internet

Indoor pool(s)

Pet friendly - terms apply

Smoke Free Rooms

Guest rooms at this hotel are always smoke-free.

Fitness Center

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Restaurant(s)

Property offers at least one restaurant on the premises; hours and days of operation may vary.

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

<amenity names only please... not descriptions>

High-Speed Internet Access

Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

Spa Services

Guests have access to a spa facility or spa services; an extra charge typically applies.

Accessible for the blind

Braille or raised signage

Accessible for the deaf

TTY for telephone, visual or flashing fire alarm and vibrating alarm clock

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible path from the room entrance to the window, the bed and the bathroom; accessible hardware and minimal resistance to open the door; accessible temperature controls and window coverings

Accessible bathroom

Raised toilet, hand-held shower and grab bars at the tub and toilet

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

Bathroom has a roll-in shower

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please click each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links, then reply to this thread and we'll have a look at your post above.

Are you willing to spend $400+ per nite for this trip?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and your searches too!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Otherwise, I would not have taken the time to start a topic and copy and paste the info about the hotel.

You get more bees with honey than with vinegar.

There are many tire kickers posting topics for trips, and this one turned my head. Occupancy levels in August are low and rates are very favorable, this seems a little high upon first glance.

PS, you might want to copy, paste then edit the amenities, it makes it easier to read and render an opinion for your $2000 trip.

You get more bees with honey than with vinegar.

There are many tire kickers posting topics for trips,

dahammer, try to look at it from my perspective.

It seemed rude that the assumption was I was a 'tirekicker', when I asked posted a question and tried to re-use the format similar to what others have used.

Occupancy levels in August are low and rates are very favorable
That is not what I am seeing.

I spent at least an hour last night looking for Times Square / Theater district hotels.

My first choice - Casablanca - was full and I'm on a wait list.

Next place I checked also had no availability.

Third choice Chatwal has openings and is 4xx

Another option Muse, is almost 4xx.

My backup reservation is the Marriott Marquis at $399.

I tried moving the dates out a week to try for more availability (Aug 14-18). Casablanca is still full. Haven't checked the others.

PS, you might want to copy, paste then edit the amenities, it makes it easier to read and render an opinion for your $2000 trip.
I edited the amenities in that I moved what could be the most unique amenity to the top (indoor pool) and deleted some of the non-essential text

I certainly could have deleted more non-essential text. I almost deleted the braille part, but one of my questions was whether Hotwire would be selling only a handicap accessible room. That might be OK, I'd just rather know.

Is a $2000 trip unusual? If you were calling out the total spend to help me realize the total cost, I do realize that 4xx x 5 nights or 4 nights would be ~> $2000.

Thereuare,

I clicked on the links. I'm not sure what purpose that serves since I don't want to book unless I have some idea of what property it might be, more from a location standpoint than anything else (broken bone in foot makes location more of a priority). If it's to create income that's fine - I'd rather give it to you / owners of the site vs the big hotel chains.

To confirm this is the amenity set for the 5* property currently offered on HOTWIRE:

Free Internet

Pet Friendly

Indoor Pool

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

Spa

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

... best guess for this one is the Chatwal New York.

Summer is typically low season in NYC, but we don't always see 5* hotels discount as deeply as others. For example, what i believe to be the 4.5* Michelangelo is offered at $266/nite if that is of any interest... and outside of Times Square many 4* hotels go for under $200/nite.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Is a $2000 trip unusual?

For a four night trip to NYC in early August, which is typically "off season", why, yes, it seems unusual and it piqued my interest.

With all that Manhattan has to offer, most folks really don't spend much time in this area. Your backup is not a 5* and as cited by thereuare, there may be better options nearby. I've stayed at the Marriott Marquis, its a nice hotel right on Times Square, but at $400, my personal preference would be to stay in an adjacent zone in similar or better accommodations for $200-250 and have a better meal with the savings.

For example, last year in late July I stayed at the 4* Sheraton for about $120, it was a short walk to Times Square and I used the savings to buy two tickets to Wicked.....well lets say the savings made a significant contribution.

Best of luck, this is a great board for getting the best value in travel. Wouldn't it be awesome to get this trip for $1k and walk a few blocks to TS?

... best guess for this one is the Chatwal New York.
Thank you.

From reading the TripAdvisor reviews, that probably would not be the right place for me since there's no view.

There's a good chance (50-50) that the final full day of my trip (Saturday Aug 10'th or 17'th) will be spent mostly in the room with my (broken bone) foot elevated doing work. It looks like the Chatwal has no view.

My backup rooms (the Marriott and Renaissance) have guaranteed time square views.

My perception is that if I were to win a Priceline or Hotwire bid, the room view would not be guaranteed. However, since this is low season, I'd have a decent chance of being able to pay extra once I arrived for the right room. Right ?

With all that Manhattan has to offer, most folks really don't spend much time in this area.
Before this part of the trip I'll be there for work. By the latter part of the week, I might only be up for taking in a couple of Broadway shows, the NY Public library etc ;-). No clubbing this trip.
Your backup is not a 5* and as cited by thereuare, there may be better options nearby. I've stayed at the Marriott Marquis, its a nice hotel right on Times Square, but at $400,
The main thing I'm looking for is times square view from my hotel room. A close second is a 4-5* hotel. From reviews the Marriott sounds like a 4*, but a time-square view room is still $$$$. (4xx / night)
I've stayed at the Marriott Marquis, its a nice hotel right on Times Square, but at $400, my personal preference would be to stay in an adjacent zone in similar or better accommodations for $200-250 and have a better meal with the savings.
Normally I'd agree with that.

In fact, after seeing it was the Chantal, I started researching completely different areas of the city that could provide a room with views and fun activities nearby that are not all walking.

Maybe that Grand Hyatt right near Grand Central station if I go outside of Time Square. Problem is, going *down* stairs is impossible / risky. I can workout on a stairmaster / elliptical and go UP stiars if I put all pressure on my heel , but I can't go down stairs. The broken bone is in the front part of the foot. But maybe all subways have elevators or escalators.

The main thing I'm looking for is times square view from my hotel room.
If this is your primary goal you should just book direct and get exactly what you want, there is no assurance that you'll be able to upgrade (even for a fee) once you arrive at the hotel. However, realize that the view comes with a hefty price tag vs. what you can likely get thru PRICELINE or HOTWIRE.
But maybe all subways have elevators or escalators.
Some do have elevators, many do not, and they are often out of order. You could walk down the stairs backwards, keeping the pressure on the ball of your foot instead of the heel.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

This is a really entertaining read. I just booked an NYC trip, but I went with Jetsetter. Almost did the travelzoo deal which is also very good. Used this code for an extra 10%

Save 10% on your trip to New York, New York on Jetsetter. Your offer expires in 24 hours.

Enter code 3QE3RV7 at checkout to apply discount.

Discount will be valid through July 13, 2013 at 11:59PM EST.

QED

Please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links when you are ready to book.

I just booked an NYC trip, but I went with Jetsetter.

Was that for the Sofitel?

I was there in 2009. Had a lousy service experience. Really simple requests were never fulfilled.

Ex: "Could we have more face cloths?" "Of course." then nothing. x 3. However, maybe it was just a bad week for them.

I looked a their TripAdvisor reviews. A July 9 2013 NYC Sofitel review mirrors what I experienced (bolding is mine):

>> " The rooms were nice and the beds were extremely comfortable. The location was convenient. The service however was slow or nonexistent. The first morning the hair dryer was not working. It took almost thirty minutes and two calls to get a replacement. The next morning half way through my husbands shower there was no water. The front desk said someone would be right up. No one ever came. About twenty minutes later the water came back on no one ever called to tell us or to see if everything was okay. I am surprised at the lack of customer service at a high end hotel "

I will not return to the NYC Sofitel.

Also, I remember that the size of the room we booked did not match the size we received in the NYC Sofitel.

On day 2 "Doesn't this room seem small to you?"

So I measured. Sure enough, the room was a lot smaller than what we paid for.

They do have a lot of good reviews on other qualities.

However, the Sofitels I've stayed in across the pond have had amazing service with the best breakfasts and croissants. Last year's stays included the Sofitel Gatwick and Sofitel Heathrow. The bartender at the Sofitel Heathrow made me a beautiful hot toddy for an end-of-trip worsening sore throat. He studded the lemon wedges with cloves, put them in the warmed 'hot toddy' . That drink was a work of art. I'll be at the Sofitel in Strasbourg in Q4.

I'm staying at the NYC Sofitel today with my daughter (Check in later, not in the city yet).

Try this: If you have to call for service, also ask, "If no one comes within 20 minutes (or 30 or 40; whatever they say to expect), What should I do?"

I eventually walked down to the front desk and asked for the extra linens. Person said very sweetly they would send someone up. I said, "That's OK, I'll wait here, or is there a linens storage area nearby where I can get them myself?" At least if you do it yourself you know it's going to be done within a certain amount of time. We literally fell asleep waiting for something > 30 minutes one of the nights at the Sofitel.

-------

The work part of this trip is getting longer (from 1 to 3 days) which means I might separate the play parts into start and end rather than just at the end.

play: friday august 9,10,

work: 11,12,13

play: 14,15,16,17,18

I definitely think Times Square is the right place to be for the longer play part of the trip given

- There is a built-in non-walking entertainment available for part of the day, every single day (Broadway shows).

- There really is no other place in the world like Times Square.

So, need to decide what other location in NYC would be good for first part of trip.

Last time (2010) I stayed in Tribeca. Would not stay in that area again when traveling alone. Too many leering men hanging around aimlessly in the vicinity. Normally I do like walking everywhere. But if it doesn't feel right to walk in a 5 minute radius of the hotel, what's the point in paying money to stay there.

#27 on trip advisor.... I'm not too worried. Bed comfort and location are the most important to me and sounded like no one had any complaints there. Service is probably the lowest priority on my list. Things like a blower dryer, which are super important to me, I bring with. Jetsetter was for a Luxury King Room which sounds really nice and a big advantage over bidding since I also REALLY wanted a king bed. The extra 10% was for any New York hotel on Jetsetter.

QED

Please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links when you are ready to book.

KatiesMom, I am totally positive you will have another outstanding and wonderful experience at the Sofitel to report!

Bed comfort and location are the most important to me and sounded like no one had any complaints there. Service is probably the lowest priority on my list.

Before a trip, I also usually put service lower on my list in general when comparing 2-3 places on the short list. If I never needed service on trips, it would stay lowest on priority. But darn it, sometimes I need it. Then, after a trip I'll remember a great service interaction more than what the room was like.

And people's attitudes encountered matter. Like the TSA guy who was extra kind to me, yet he was not at all nice to an elderly man who was moving a little too slowly for TSA guy. So I asked TSA guy, "When you are his age, do you think you will need more time than he does, or less time?"

Suggestion for the Sofitel NYC and a must when traveling across the pond: If you use 2 wash cloths a day (AM shower, wash face in PM, or vice-versa) and especially if you are not traveling alone, bring some old washcloths from home that you wouldn't mind throwing away, or buy a 5-pack of low-quality thin ones from Walmart. Then, when you need more, you don't need to call or wait for service. If you don't need them they can stay in the suitcase or cushion something you buy.

I've also become much pickier about location, especially when traveling alone. I'd choose a much older or not as freshly designed hotel (like the Marriott Marquis) vs the Sofitel because I feel it's in a slightly better location. It's just one of those landmarks you see multiple times when you visit a place - when I'm in Times Square and I go from point a to point b, or b to c, I always seem to walk near it, cut through it, etc.

As a brand vs other hotel brands, Marriott seems to do a great job with staff training across every segment of their brand. If the location I need or want to stay in only has 3-star hotels, I'll pick the Marriott. That being said, the Marriott Marquis Times Square has been just OK in terms of service. But their location is killer. Last time I was in NYC it was during Fleet Week. It's astounding what a consistent brand of politeness all of the military guys there exhibited in their interactions. Not just the ones working the exhibitions. Also the ones just 'on the street' in Times Square. Ma'am this and ma'am that. Makes me stand up straighter ;-).

Yes. Longer part will stay as described above except shifted 2 days out. I think the longer part of the trip should still be in Theater district.

I'm going to add a short weekend before the work part also. Decision is - should I be near the 9-11 Memorial, or near Museum Mile on Upper East Side. I'm leaning towards UES for the short weekend for fast access to the Museums, and then go to 9-11 Memorial during longer weekend from Times Square location.

I will probably book via hotwire for the short weekend if I can still minimize unnecessary walking on healing foot with location. I need to remember to do that from the same laptop where I clicked on the links right? (i.e. not on my ipad)

You can book on your desktop or mobile device, just please use the board links to access PRICELINE / HOTWIRE to begin your purchase (and we also have our own Priceline and Hotwire App that you may be interested in (it's FREE :) )

Once you make a decision on dates and location, let us know and we'll see what is offered at that time.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Just booked the extra short weekend via HOTWIRE using your link.

Ended out with a hotel not yet on your Hotwire NY 5* list.

5* for $290

amenities

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Pet friendly

Pet friendly - terms apply

Accessible bathroom

Raised toilet, hand-held shower and grab bars at the tub and toilet

Roll-in shower

Bathroom has a roll-in shower

I was really hoping it would be either the Surrey or the Carlyle from your list, both with very close proximity to the Met and Cafe Boulud.

It was the Hotel Plaza Athenee.

Certainly looks like a gorgeous hotel, it's just an extra 13 streets of walking to get to the Met or Neue.

Congratulations on your success!

While perhaps not as close to your desired location(s), hope you'll find this worthy of the 5* rating and enjoy your stay.

Can you please add a reply to this thread confirming the dates of this purchase (seemed to change from when you first started this thread) so we can add this information to the topic title and enable this win to appear in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and helping us add this property to the Hotwire Hotel List.

Enjoy this leg of your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]