Priceline Hotel: Staying New Jersey and Visit New York - End of June

Akey
By Akey,
in

All,

This is my first visit to New York with Family of 4 ( 2 Kids) and need help making my first Priceline bid and select right place to stay.

Bidding on 1 room for a Manhattan hotel or near by hotel to all attraction or easy subway access. I was planning on bidding for a 4 star hotel.

My budget is $120-$160. If I HAVE to go higher it may be possible.

Welcome to BetterBidding :)

This is my first visit to New York with Family of 4 ( 2 Kids) and need help making my first PRICELINE bid and select right place to stay.
Note that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, which means you may receive a room with only one bed and the hotel could assign you a room with only one bed. You could request a room with two beds, but the hotel could be unable, or unwilling, to accommodate your request... or charge an additional fee if they are willing to accommodate you request. And NYC is famous for small rooms so this isn't the right town to gamble for a big room.

HOTWIRE guarantees sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search... this often means two beds in the room, but the second 'bed' could be a pullout sofabed, rollaway brought into the room, etc.

My budget is $120-$160. If I HAVE to go higher it may be possible.
This is a busy time in NYC and I'm pretty sure that your budget don't get you a 4*. I belive your looking around $200+

Also please post your dates for your stay.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll go from there.

Please use the board's PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your purchases and searches

Yellowdog.

PRICELINE is going to likely - especially in NYC - going to lead to a room (and possibly a quite small room) with one bed. Just to confirm, is that going to be an acceptable risk? If that is not an acceptable risk, when you search for 2 adults/2 children on HOTWIRE, are you seeing any listings of interest? If so, please provide the full details of the listing (star rating, zone, full list of amenities and price per night before taxes/fees.) The July 1-3 period is going to be moderately less expensive than the other period, but rates are still a little on the high side.

I think you may be able to get a 4* towards the higher end of your desired budget range on PRICELINE for the 7/1-3 period, but you 1) would have to be willing to risk 4 people in a small room with one bed and 2) with PRICELINE, you have to be willing to stay anywhere within the selected zone (the hotel may not be right by the subway.) Additionally, which zone/s would be of interest?

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

What about Brooklyn Area (Sheraton Brooklyn New York Hotel)?

All that is guaranteed by PRICELINE is a room that will accommodate double occupancy... so still a risk (it's a risk in any city, but a greater risk in NYC)

HOTWIRE costs a little more than HOTWIRE, and the price may go up when searching for quad occupancy (again, especially in NYC), but it's the way to ensure sleeping accommodations for everyone in your family/group.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

All,

This is my first visit to New York with Family of 4 ( 2 Kids). As i reading this forum lots of people suggested stay in New Jersey near PATH or Train Access to New York. So I need your help help to making my first Priceline bid and select right place to stay.

I was planning on bidding for a 4 or 3 star hotel.

My budget is $80-$90. If I HAVE to go higher it may be possible.

$80-90 is likely going to be difficult, although it depends on date/s. Additionally, I'll note that PRICELINE only guarantees 1 bed/double occupancy and there is a definite risk of 1 bed in and around NYC.

Can you confirm the date/s of travel? Additionally, please keep all posts regarding this stay within this thread.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I like to travel from June 29th June to 2nd July.

If problem booking through PRICELINE ( more then 2 occupancy) then what about through HOTWIRE Secrete hot Rate.

I can see 3 Star properties availble for $101 in Secaucus - Meadowlands area hotel.

These Hotel features the following amenities:

Free Parking

Free Breakfast

Free Internet

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Wheelchair accessible

Wheelchair accessible common areas

Handicapped parking

<amenity names only please... not descriptions>

Roll-in shower

Bathroom has a roll-in shower

Please let me know I should book with HoTWIRE Secrate hot Rate or not and how easy to travel from above hotels to New York with 2 Children (12 yr)

Thanks

Akey

Best guess for this HOTWIRE property would be the Meadowlands Plaza Hotel.

Few comments...

This hotel is not on the PATH line (nor any of the hotels in this zone) and you'll be commuting by bus into Manhattan, which isn't terrible (although traffic at times can be) but it's a different experience then riding by train/subway into Manhattan, as well as is less convenient vs. the PATH train (which in turn is less convenient then staying directly in Manhattan).

Even though this hotel is ~$100, note that the busy will cost ~$3.50/pp each way, so for a family of 4 that is $25-$30 round trip each day... assuming you don't decide to head back to the hotel midday to rest, wash-up before dinner, etc (heading back to the hotel midday isn't as much of an option when staying in this area, but just pointing out the pros/cons and your real cost).

So you're looking at ~$130/nite to stay outside of the city vs. there a 3* hotel in Downtown Manhattan for $159/nite, and while i'm not sure of the identity of this property (Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business) it is 100% recommended by previous guests and gets high ratings (4.5 and 5.0 out of 5.0) for all the criteria that HOTWIRE asks previous guests to rate (overall satisfaction, condition of hotel, quality of service, etc, etc). And while Downtown is not as convenient of a location as mid-town, it is better then, and worth $30 more per nite (imo) then staying out in the Secaucus-Meadowlands zone. While i often do recommend the 4* hotels in the Hoboken-Jersey City, followed by the Secaucus-Meadowlands, these are usually recommended when Manhattan is prohibitively expensive, which in this case $159/nite may provide some sticker shock, but in reality isn't that much more expensive than the Secaucus hotel when you factor in other costs (although we didn't touch upon parking which could be another factor, but not sure how you are arriving to the area)

Let us know your thoughts based upon the comments above and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

First of all I like to thanks you for detail information.

Actually I am driving to NY or NJ.

I like to book W Hoboken but there parking is $35/day. can you please suggest any cheaper parking near Hoboken.

One more thing I like to ask you is there is any where cheap parking near Downtown - SoHo - Financial District area hotel?

Thanks

Akey

The W Hoboken is usually the best 'outside of the city' choice, imo... but unless you see what is believed to be this hotel offered on HOTWIRE for your dates when searching 2a/2c i don't know how you could book this within your budget, not even taking parking into consideration.

In Hoboken there is NO FREE PARKING for any extended period of time. Visitors are only allowed to park on one side of city streets and even then there is a 4 hour limit... stay in town (yes, even if you move your car) more than 4 hours and you're subject to not only a ticket but a boot on your car as well. On the weekends there is some free parking in Jersey City but as your stay extends into Monday and Tuesday this wouldn't be that convenient of an option since you would need to go back and move your car after the first 36 hours or so after your arrival.

Where are you traveling from? We sometimes recommend parking at a Park N Ride enroute and then taking the train in the rest of the way, but it may not be worth it for a 3 nite stay and when 4 passengers the transit costs also begin to add up and makes it less viable of an option (although there are still some options such as parking near the Harrison or Newark PATH trains and then taking PATH service to Hoboken/Jersey City (and then into Manhattan if staying there... as PATH is only $2/pp whereas NJ Transit train service can easily run $10/pp depending upon where you get on)

In light of the above your current thoughts?

I like to stay in Downtown - SoHo - Financial District area hotel.

1. Can you please let me know any cheap parking in this area?

2. Can I park for 3 days near Harrison or Newark PATH trains - If yes can you please let me know parking address.

Thanks

Anil

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]