Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Midtown East) Doubletree By Hilton Metropolitan New York

DougWI
By DougWI,
in

New York City - Sat, Jul 27, 2013 - Mon, Jul 29, 2013 - 1 Room

Goal – Midtown 3* and save money via Priceline

Notes on express deals (helps me determine bid range)

Priceline 3* time square 159, and Midtown West 170

Hotwire 3* Empire state building 153

TS 3* 140 - Rejected

TS + MTW 3* 144 - Rejected

TS + MTW + MSG 3* 146 – Rejected

TS + MTW + MSG + HK 3* 147 – Rejected

TS + MTW + MSG + HK + Chelsea Area 3* 148 – Rejected

TS + MTW + MSG + HK + Chelsea Area + ESB 3* - 149 – Rejected

TS + MTW + MSG + HK + Chelsea Area + ESB + MTE 3* - 150 – Got it

Got MTE Doubletree Metropolitan Hotel New York City – Pricing is saying this is a 4* hotel? I bid 3* but got 4*

Doubletree By Hilton Metropolitan New York

569 Lexington Avenue

New York, NY 10022

Just FYI…..after having success with Priceline at $150 I went directly to the Doubletree advance purchase website. Using the advanced purchased plan, here is what I found:

Room: 1 QUEEN BED - NON SMOKING

DATE Price per night TAX TOTAL (USD)

27 Jul 2013 159.00 26.97 185.97

28 Jul 2013 *119.00 21.07 140.07

Room Subtotal: 326.03

The problem I am having is after I do everything I can imagine is correct and make my bid I did not blindly assume it was a good deal, I went and checked if it was a good deal. It was not a good deal. I got ripped off.

So my total for two nights booking directly with them would have been $278+tax vs I paid $300+tax via priceline.

My bad….I got ripped off by priceline.

Sorry to hear you're disappointed with the results, but a few comments:

1) you didn't bid properly as you added 'live' zones (which you could win) while increasing your bid. Let's assume that PRICELINE did have inventory at this property at a rate lower than $150... you never had a chance to win it at that price as $150 was the first bid you placed which included the MTE zone (where this property is located)

2) priceline does have a Priceline Best Rate Guarantee (based upon the room rate only) that you can try to submit a claim for... if successful PRICELINE will match the $139/nite (average) rate and give you an extra $25.

On the plus side You're also near my often recommended Ess-A-Bagel (Third Ave at 51st St) which has one of the best bagels in the city, makes for a nice, and relatively inexpensive, breakfast among local NYers.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I did not know about the Priceline Best Rate Guarantee

Thank you, thank you THANK YOU!!! I am so happy.

I called the number. They are going to give me a credit for $68.99, the difference plus $25/night. Plus $50 if I buy a future vacation flight / hotel package…..I’ll need to read how that works when it arrives.

Can I buy you a bagel or a bunch of bagels at that favorite bagel place of yours? :)

You totally made my day.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]