Priceline Hotel: 2.5* New York City (Central Park South) Wellington Hotel

jaysenese
By jaysenese,
in

FYI, I am trying to book two nights at a 4* Hotel in Midtown Manhattan for $165.00. I tried many re-bid combinations today without luck.

I will try again in a few days.

By the way, you posted this in February:

"Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

When bidding 4* in NYC you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding."

and today you posted:

"When bidding 4* in NYC you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding."

Has PRICELINE changed that much in four months?

FYI, I am trying to book two nights at a 4* Hotel in Midtown Manhattan for $165.00. I tried many re-bid combinations today without luck. I will try again in a few days.

We have searched these dates for other users recently and rates are quite high at the moment... at current rates i don't think you're in the right ballpark for a 4* hotel in these zones.

Using MAPS and HOTELS.com and filtering for hotels that are 4* rated or higher, what is the best rate you're able to find for an acceptable hotel in one of the areas that you're bidding?

Has PRICELINE changed that much in four months?
Yes.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Just as an update, I tried again today, dropping down to 3 1/2* and raising price level to $171, but sticking to central Manhattan. Still no luck.

I've had some crazy successes over the years with PRICELINE bids, in spite of what prevailing pricing online is showing, so I am going to stick to my guns for a while longer.

I realize Fridays are not the same as Wednesdays or other weeknights, but I saw last night on HOTWIRE that there were 15 4* hotels offering Manhattan rooms for TONIGHT on Hotwire, and 12 of the 15 were below $250/night. (9 were between $100 and $200).

I am hoping that I can wait till the last minute, next Monday or even next Tuesday morning, and catch someone offering a similar great price.

My visit to New York last year featured a PRICELINE room at the Waldorf for 3 nights at $160 or so, which I believe I reported in this Priceline hotel thread. I wouldn't have believed that, either.

Hi, Aaron, thanks for asking....

I actually can afford whatever the hotel costs (and it's a business trip, so it's tax-deductible), but it's the PRINCIPLE, you know? :) It shouldn't cost that much.

As for alternatives: in order:

1. I'm flying in and out of JFK, so something in Brooklyn along the A line might work (although those aren't cheap either);

2. Long Island City (I've never stayed there, but I'm travelling light and I can handle the effort)

3. Stay with my college-aged son in the apartment I'm paying for in Brooklyn (but which he shares with several others and doesn't want his Pop hanging around, y'know)?

I really ENJOY the PRICELINE / HOTWIRE thing. I'm optimistic I'll score something ...

OK, I'm all set (finally). I used your link to access the Express Rates through PRICELINE. Bought the Wellington 2.5* in Central Park South for $167 a night. Price has been sliding on that one all week. Reviews are mixed online, but, heck ...

FYI I tried accessing the same hotel at a better price through the PRICELINE bidding up to $162 without luck. Perhaps the Express Hotels are separate from the Name Your Price hotels?

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you got this stay resolved at the near last minute. While not the 4* you originally set out for, hopefully you'll find this property to be a good value given these expensive dates in NYC and can make it work for your needs.

If you recall, can you please add a reply to this thread with the amenities that PRICELINE EXPRESS associated with this property.

This hotel is right around the corner from the famous

if you're want to try some of the local 'street meat'. You want the cart that is there late nite (7:30pm-4am) on the SW corner of 53rd St and Sixth Ave... a nice dose of white sauce and use the hot sauce very sparingly as it's EXTREMELY hot. Best $6 dinner you'll find in the city, and even if you're not interested in trying it, it's worth the walk over to check out the 'scene' as there is almost always a long line surrounding the cart.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]