Priceline Hotel: Resort Maui (Ka'anapali - Lahaina) Sheraton

chrisc2
By chrisc2,
in

Hey Guys,

Wondering if I could get some help for an upcoming trip to Maui. Ideally, I would like to keep the cost of the room to under $150 but would consider going up to as high as $200 if there is a huge difference between the hotels. Ideally, I would like a 4* or Resort class hotel on Priceline, but if they are significantly over $150, I would like one of the larger/higher end of the 3* hotels rather than stay at a condo.

I've never been to Maui so I'm not even sure which area is a nice area to stay, so I'm open to all areas, unless anyone has suggestions.

I did a bit of price hunting and so far, the prices I have gotten are:

HOTWIRE:

Ka'anapali 4.0* $197

Selected amenities include: Resort, Beachfront, Restaurant(s), Pool(s), Fitness Center, Spa Services, Children's Activity Program, Golf Nearby

Ka'anapali 3.0* $119

Selected amenities include: Beachfront, Restaurant(s), Pool(s), Golf Nearby, Tennis Nearby, Laundry Facilities (self-service).

Kihei 3* $108

Selected amenities include: Near Beach, Pool(s), Tennis Nearby

Wailea-Makena 3.5* $159

Selected amenities include: Near Beach, Pool(s), Kitchenette, Tennis Nearby

OTHER SOURCES:

Hyatt Regency 4* - $334/$280/$334/$334

Maui Prince 4* - $393/$393/$393/$393

Outrigger Napili Shores 4* - $150/$150/$150/$150

Sheraton Maui 4* - $275/$275/$275/$275

ResortQuest Kaanapali Shores 4* - $145/$145/$145/$145

Royal Lahaina Resort 3* - $120/$120/$120/$120

Ritz Carlton 5* - $265/$265/$265/$265

Does anyone have any opinions on the Outrigger/ResortQuest type hotels? Ideally I would like to bid for a resort/4* using Priceline with a max bid of $150. If this is extremely unlikely then I would consider either taking a 3* for $150 or raising my max up to $200.

Thanks in advance guys, you've been a great help in the past.

I would increase your maximum bid to $165 and bid as follows:

Select Resort Ka'anaplai/Lahaina...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select Resort Ka'anaplai/Lahaina and re-bid zone2....

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $165.

I'm assuming that $15 is 'close enough' that you would want to raise your bid to that level to have a chance at the Resort level... if not report back and we'll look further at the 'less than Resort' options.

I believe most of the ResortQuest properties are condos (at least that's been my experience in researching the same for Kauai)

Let us know if you try the above strategy or want something different and we'll update accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Call Outrigger and Aston hotels and see what they have available using the Entertainment Card 50% off discount. Once you're above the $160 rate on a priceline "resort" hotel, those rates can be quite competitive. They're also cancellable, in case more priceline inventory becomes available (which doesn't seem to happen too often with Hawaii, unfortunately). I personally would not spend more than $200, especially if there were a plausible $100 3 star option available.

Hey Guys,

I tried that bidding strategy... all rejected except for the $165 level one. I got a counter-offer of adding $25 to get a re-bid. I declined that option. Thanks to lonestar's great suggestion, I have a cancellable reservation at the ResortQuest Kanaapali Villas for $150 + tax. It's an oceanside studio.

While it looks decent, I would still prefer a real resort (eg. Hyatt/Sheraton/etc.). Any tips on what I should do now?

Thanks in advance,

Christian.

Well if you're still willing to go up to $200 (which you know would result in a win based upon your counter-offer) and prefer that to your back-up hotel, i would wait 72 hours and try again as follows:

Select Resort Ka'anaplai/Lahaina...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select Resort Ka'anaplai/Lahaina and re-bid zone2....

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $180.

Let us know how it goes or any additional questions.

PS- you could start an entirely new strategy including Wailea - Makena and then eventually work your way up to the prices above and including the Ka'anapali zones, but i don't know if that's recommended as i dont' think the Wailea-Makena zone is as desirable as the Ka'anapali/Lahaina (simply going by what areas users typically bid)... i also think there is a Resort in the Wailea zone that is not exactly beachfront, which could be a reason why some avoid it

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Can we identify that 4 star property in Kaanapali using the hotwire amenities (using previous successful bids or the hotwire packages feature)? That's probably the resort that chris has the counter-offer on.

If so, I guess you then need to read the reviews on that property and the Kaanapali Villas and decide what each property is worth to you.

There's also a 4-star Wailea property available for a few dollars less. Off the top of my head, I can't remember the name of it (it's Japanese owned and a 4-star on priceline, not a resort, that some Americans like and others don't). Personally, for my first time on Maui, for only a few bucks and limited time, I'd stay at Kaanapali.

Let us know how it turns out. It's good to have some choices. A lot of Maui bidders don't get any budget deals.

After seeing successful bids for the Mariott in Wailea at $125 for around the same dates, I tried but no luck.

I added the Wailea zone and bid: $120, $125, $130, $135, $140.. all rejected w/o counteroffers.

Any suggestions on what to do next or why my bids keep getting rejected?

Thanks in adv,

Christian.

Well you know that you can (likely) be successful in the Ka'anaplai/Lahaina area for less than $190 which you had said you would be willing to go up to $200 and you apparently would like better than your back-up hotel.

If a Resort is what you want and you're willing to go higher, i would follow the previously posted strategy above... or is that no longer an option?

Congratulations on your win.

Thank you for posting your results to the board and for sharing your success with the rest of us.

Glad to see you got it settled and got the hotel class you wanted... and at a great price.

Thank you for using the SavingsBarn.com links to begin your purchase. :)

Enjoy your stay.

Nothing like a happy ending. :)

Maui certainly is a tricky place to bid. It's one of the few places it might be better to get your priceline hotel reservation down BEFORE you buy your airline tickets. You just never know if there will be inventory. Logic would suggest that fall is a slow period, but we've had people say they still get get rooms on certain nights.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]