How to get free rebids for car rentals?

breezesunshine
By breezesunshine,
in

Hi all:

I am trying to bid for a rental car for our Orlando vacation in November this year.

Here is my bid information from last night:

Pick up: 11/24 5pm, Drop-off: 11/30 7am

Car type: mid-size

Bid: $15/day

The bid failed. The message on the web page didn't mention a waiting period or how I can bid again with the same information. I can't change any of the option (i.e., pick-up and drop-off day, car type, etc.).

So, how can I rebid for the same options?

Thanks again!:)

Actually you can in this case. You can bid for 7 days instead of 6 - 11/24 to 12/1. The rates are usually the same for 7 as 6 days so you could bid a lower per day (but higher overalll amount) and possibly get accepted. Now, I have never been penalized for returning a car early on a weekly rental, but that's just my experience, so buyer beware. You could also try entering in 11:30 PM 11/29 which should get you 6 days rental and allow you to return on 11/30 at 7 am.

I believe these strategies will work, but use them at your own risk!

• 2 weeks later...

Good suggestions here - I'd also check hotwire.com to see what their prices are for your dates - which are a good parimeter for PL. You can usually beat hotwire by a buck or two on PL.

Also, the suggestion about getting a better price closer to your dates is very accurate.

Here is my MCO bid for mid-size @ $15 - we got Avis. (We did not care if we had a compact/standard or Mid-size.)

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?act...&f=186&t=15661&

Also - buyer beware - a "Mid-Size" at Avis is essentially a 2 door Full Size. So I'm not exactly sure why you would want a 2 door - but we did get upgraded for free to the "Full Size" which is a a 4 door - and had a Chevrolet Impala.

I think I've read somewhere that Avis has different vehicle types than general when it comes to either mid-size or full-size. I can't locate the same post anymore, but I remember it saying something about 2-dr vs. 4 dr. Does anyone know the details?

I am trying to bid for a rental car through priceline, and I want to make sure I don't get stuck with a 2-dr when I expect a 4-dr car.

Thanks!

We also got a mid-size car at MCO recently for $15 from AVIS (09/29-05 - 10/03/05). We got a four-door Ford Taurus. There was no mention of an upgrade so I think this is their regular mid-size.

Possible, but I would not bid mid-size if I required a four door - it'd be quite risky.

Avis does not have a class called "Mid-Size".

https://www.avis.com/AvisWeb/rentalsupport/...COUNTRY_CODE=US

Avis has: Subcompact (2/4 door); Compact(2/4 door); Intermediate (2/4 door); Standard (2/4 door); Full Size (4 door); Premium; Luxury, etc.

PL has Economy; Compact; Mid-Size; Standard; Full Size.

Therefore, one would assume a Mid-Size PL bid would entitle you to an "Intermediate" vehicle at Avis. Avis lists an Intermediate as a Pontiac G6 and a Standard as a Chevy Monte Carlo. The example for a "Full-Size" is a Chevy Impala.

Therefore, yes, I believe we were upgraded, in fact, upgraded 2 PL classes.

It's not uncommon for this to happen when the vehicle type reserved is not available.

And, I really think this information has changed since we bid & went (August) b/c I specifically remember a category called 2 door Full Size on both the website and at the desk, which I thought was odd.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]