Airline layover maximum?

bolomd
By bolomd,
in

Hello all!

Quick question from a newbie. I want to try bidding on a plane ticket on Priceline for the first time; an international plane ticket. Although it seems a little risky, I wanted a way to minimize risk. What I have done is look up all the potential flights from one destination to another on Kayak (in this case, DCA to Costa Rica/SJO). And I make sure that I could live with any possibility that could come up. There have been a few times when there have only been 3 or 4 options on Kayak, so I can see pretty much what all the possible outcomes could be.

My question is: on some posts, I have seen reference to a "layover maximum" of 3 hours. Is this for domestic flights only or international too?

I don't see any mention of this on the official websites, but it would make a BIG difference. An overnight layover can often make the difference between making a ticket option "doable."

Also, any comment on my strategy would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

DL

Welcome to BetterBidding!

If you haven't yet please start by reading your messages.

The 3 hours applies to domestic travel, here is a link to the average and longest layovers permissible for 'name your own price' airfare bidding:

Priceline Maximum Layover for Airfare

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how your bidding goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the link!

By "maximum" layover times, does that mean that the bidding engine will not include flight options with longer than those maximums? Or is that what is just observed?

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

If you haven't yet please start by reading your messages.

The 3 hours applies to domestic travel, here is a link to the average and longest layovers permissible for 'name your own price' airfare bidding:

Priceline Maximum Layover for Airfare

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how your bidding goes or if we can be of further help.

• 3 weeks later...

PRICELINE won't give you a flight with layovers beyond those maximums.

The averages would be based on what PRICELINE observed.

Romelle

Figured this might fit in here. In the flight I'm looking at bidding at (YYJ > PVR), I came across this "Although we always look for non-stop flights first, priceline flights may make up to one connection each way. We will issue convenient electronic tickets." Is this reliable or do I have to worry about multiple connections? The only airline that offers less than one connection out of YYJ is Westjet, but I'd hate to get stuck on an Alaska Air flight and be hit with a 10 hour layover in LAX.

Figured this might fit in here. In the flight I'm looking at bidding at (YYJ > PVR), I came across this "Although we always look for non-stop flights first, priceline flights may make up to one connection each way. We will issue convenient electronic tickets." Is this reliable or do I have to worry about multiple connections? The only airline that offers less than one connection out of YYJ is Westjet, but I'd hate to get stuck on an Alaska Air flight and be hit with a 10 hour layover in LAX.

You can count on them to follow their rules. The trick is to make sure you research and understand their rules before you bid.

Once in a while they do miss, but when people can clearly identify the rule (i.e. "one connection" or minimum connection time) they missed, it is grounds for canceling the deal.

Romelle

PS - I'm a member, not a board official, so am just speaking from my experience.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]