Priceline Hotel: need advice booking SoHo 9/19/05

scrooge
By scrooge,
in

Started bidding 4* at $120 have gone down to 2.5* at $195

I may be all out of options, but I can make one last attempt having my wife bid.

Does that work?

I am not flexible on the date 9/19/05 and my wife wants to be as close to SoHo as possible (the further south in manhatten the better). I have tried the Financial District and South Midtown zones...wife won't let me try other zones that are further north. Jersey City is also not an option.

I'm not an expert bidder and don't know NYC very well, so I don't mind advice on the best strategy. My limit after taxes is $250, and l'd like to think I could stay above a 2* at that price but,...bid on 2.5* at $195 for MTSouth and Financial District failed... :) Advice?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

There just aren't a lot of hotels in this area of NYC... best advice is to convince your wife to stay elsewhere in the city. To stay at a 2* property in NYC is not a wise choice in my opinion... expand your horizons to the midtown areas and stay a nice hotel.

NYC is fairly compact and transportation is readily available to take you from anywhere in the city to Soho, so it's not as if she can't get there in 10 minutes if she so chooses.

Let us know what you decide after you 'discuss' it with her and we'll suggest a strategy to try.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I won't say I'm getting desperate...but I'm close.

I'll try the midtown area (isn't that the next closest), but I could also use some advice on how to get back and forth from the hotel to several locations at the southern most tip of Manhatten.

What's my new priceline strategy?...and, is priceline still my best bet or are there better ways at this point to book in NYC? Thanks.

See this too:

I also just found the Windsor Hotel thru QB, which is in Soho, for $196/nite.

REVIEWS aren't that great, but that to be expected when you start to consider lower star rated properties in NYC.

Let us know what you want to do (after considering the above) and we'll suggest a strategy.

Where exactly do you need to be in lower Manhattan?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry if this post overlaps your response.

I actually will be in NYC on business. I have three different meetings all in that area (one at NYU, one on Little West St, and one at Trinity Pl...possibly another at Hudson/Houston intersection).

-don't know if that helps. One meeting is late at night, the next is crack of dawn, so I wanted to limit my commute times with a close hotel...wife just likes the area.

Thanks.

If it were me i would try for a nicer hotel in the midtown area, but given your circumstances and your wife's likes of the area, i don't know what is right for you.

If location is primary importance to you then the QUIKBOOK offer above seems to meet your criteria (i really don't know much about this property other than what i read in the reviews posted above)... if you would rather try for a nicer hotel in midtown let us know your maximum bid in that area and we can suggest a strategy to try.

In the above situation i'm sure some would prefer the higher quality hotel why others wouldn't care where they sleep as long as they're in their desired location (which i don't put much value on in NYC... but that's just me).

So i think you have to make a decision which direction you want to go, and then we can be of further help, if you decide you want to try the midtown area (otherwise there is not much need to booking the Windsor thru the link above).

Let us know whichever you decide.

At the 4* level you have two re-bid zones available and this is how i would bid. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read PRICEILNE RE-BIDDING EXPLAINED and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected clsoe browser adn re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $185, if rejected clsoe browser adn re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTW and MTE...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected clsoe browser adn re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected clsoe browser adn re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $215.

If the above fails you can then weight the Windsor above vs. a 3* property in Midtown, as which point we will supply a strategy if you want to go that route.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Wow! I've now bid $260 and cannot get a 4* in SoHo.

I've also bid up to $240 and was denied a 3* in the same area.

When you add taxes...I'm almost at $300 and I can't get a 3* in SoHo.

Am I going to catch a disease at the Windsor...is that what NYC has come to?

Can I do better...any other ideas now that I'm regretfully willing to spend $300 to stay in SoHo?

(yes, my wife is back to a strong desire to stay in SoHo).

For a one nite stay, i would just take the Windsor above...

You'll save about $100 over your previously rejected bid amounts, money which can be better spent outside of your hotel room. Check-in to the hotel, if it's fine then "carry on as usual"... if you're not happy with it use it just as a place to sleep and spend the savings on enjoying the city (and whatever your wife chooses to buy at the SoHo boutiques :) )

I wouldn't necessarily recommend the above for a week long stay, but at least i can tolerate almost anything for one nite.

From a more general point of view, when users have a one nite stay and aren't ultimately happy with the hotel they receive, i usually recommend taking the savings to spend on a nice dinner, splurge for a bottle of wine (or whatever else makes a dinner 'special' to you), and make it a late evening out... simply use the hotel as a place to sleep and leave in the morning (or in your case have your wife go out for breakfast while you're at your meeting).

PS- i highly recommend Katz's deli on the lower east side and you can also try Lombardi's pizza in SoHo... just two suggestions in the area

• 2 months later...

And now, for the much anticipated conclusion...

I used a hotel link you had on your main website (top of page...don't remember details...it was a long time ago) and booked the Wall Street Inn for something like $180/night.

It was a fabulous hotel...clean, plush, updated, quiet -- in the Wall Street area of NYC so surrounding buildings were under rehab and the hotel was hard to find, but inside you would never know. Well worth what I paid relative to NYC prices in general.

Also, I hit Lombardi's Pizza. Thanks for the recommendation -- great za!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]