Priceline Hotel: Where to stay in San Fran

wheely
By wheely,
in

Good Evening. My fiance and I are travelling to California to get married on late September 2013.

We land in San Fran on the 20th and I'm looking for a reasonably priced 4* hotel in a nice area for 3 nights.

I've used Priceline to secure great hotels in Sydney and New York before, so I'm after some advice on where to aim for in San Fran really.

Then I can start looking at hotels and bidding strategies.

A couple of friends have warned me off the Wharf area, as being too touristy...but I'm coming as a tourist, and want to see the sights, so it might not be a problem. Union Square area has been recommended.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Neil

Hi Aaron,

Ideally we would be looking around the $150 maximum mark, so may have to adjust our star rating slightly, having looked at some of the successful bid prices, as we have over 3 weeks in the States to budget for, and dont want to blow it all in the first few days!

I will also be looking at NY hotels, but will try and use my strategy from 2 years ago, which got us a lovely room at the Barclay for very good money.

Sorry for the delayed reply...been out all weekend

Neil

I prefer the Wharf. Yeah, it's touristy but the views of the Bay and Golden Gate are incredible. I'm also a runner and being able to step out of my hotel and run along the marina and up and over the bridge seals the deal. Over the years (I've been going to SFO every May for about 15 yrs now) I've seen varying amounts of homeless. It hasn't been too bad the last few years. What I really like is having a Safeway right there so I can buy snacks and things. Save money!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Right, had the first stab at bidding. Unsuccessful, but just need to know if I'm heading in the right direction

Sept 21st to 24th, 3 nights, 2 people

Strategy, following PRICELINE link as follows:

Area 13 4* $165 Rejected

Area 13+12 4* $165 Rejected

Area 13+12 3.5* $150 Rejected

Area 12+13+6 3.5* $160 Rejected

Area 9+12+13+6 3.5* $160 Rejected

Area 9+12+13+6+7 3.5* $170 Rejected

Areas 2+9+12+13+6+7 3.5* $165 Rejected

Areas 2+3+9+12+13+6+7 3.5* $170 Rejected

Am I heading in the right direction? I guess my option are:

Increase Bid

Lower Star rating

Wait & re-bid to see if prices accepted

Any help much appreciated

thanks

Please provide the names of the zone/s instead of the numbers, as the numbers will change any time PRICELINE adds, removes, or changes the name of a zone.

Which zones are you willing to accept at the 4* level? Which zones are acceptable at the 3.5* level? Your maximum bid at each star level?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Sorry, was a bit pushed for time last night, and it was easier to enter numbers

Areas

2 Financial District - Embarcadero

3 Fishermans Wharf

9 SOMA

12 Union Square East

13 Union Square West _ Nob Hill

6 Richmond

7 SFO

Basically, I am willing to accept 3.5 or 4 star in any of the areas

Ideally I would like to pay around $150-170 if I can?

$150 as a max for the 3.5* and $170 for the 4*

First choice areas woulf be Union Square, then SOMA, Financial, then Fishermans WHarf.

Richmond and SFO were added as areas with no hotels matching criteria, for an extra bid

Any help or advice, as always, much appreciated

Neil

Are 2* any good?

Every property has it's own merits, pros, and cons... but if you're used to staying at 3.5* and 4* hotels like those that you were originally bidding on, you may find 2* hotels lacking in many of the aspects you are accustomed to.

If you're not aware, Oracle World is taking place during your stay (9/22-9/26) which has an attendance of nearly 50K, which is the likely reason for the very high rates.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Had no idea Oracle was on. I have no idea what Oracle is really.

I guess, realistically, I need to look at bidding at $250+ to get any hope of a 3* or above room?

Was my strategy looking OK though, in the methodology that I was following, even though (due to demand) I was unsuccessful?

Thanks

Neil

Had no idea Oracle was on. I have no idea what Oracle is really.

You don't need to know what Oracle is... but you do need to know that there is a large conference taking place that is driving up hotel rates.

Please click each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links, then reply to this thread and we'll have a look at current rates and your previous strategy.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and your searches too!

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Please use the site's PRICELINE link to start your regular rate purchases and searches. You may want to try and book a refundable reservation if possible so that you can cancel if something does happen to become available closer to your stay. If not, at least you have something locked in.

Please let us know what you decide and if you have additional questions.

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

It couldn't hurt to bid once or twice a week at this time (any more and you'll likely get frustrated)... then increase more frequently as you get closer. It could also help to research the conference registration page to find out when the deadline is to book hotels thru the conference as sometimes rooms are released shortly thereafter.

If you would like a bidding strategy let us know the zone(s) you're willing to accept, your desired star rating, and maximum bid... we'll take it from there.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]