Hotwire Hotel: 4* Salt Lake City (Downtown) Little America Hotel

jealby
By jealby,
in

Amenities: Indoor pool(s), Fitness Center, Pool(s),Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access

I won the room through Hotwire and was just writing a review which I thought might be helpful here.

Pros: The hotel is in a good location, being close to downtown SLC. There is a tram car stop very close by, making it easy to get around for those without a car. For those with a vehicle, parking seemed to be abundant and was free.

Cons: My biggest gripe is that I "bought" a night at this hotel through Hotwire when it was blinded as a 4* property. When I arrived, I lugged all of my bags in from the car and upon check-in, was told that I would not be staying in the main hotel, but rather in one of the hotel/motel-like separate buildings a hundred yards or so away. So, I had to take all my bags out again, pack the car and drive to my room. The room itself was clean and functional, however it was not what I consider to be a 4* room, as it was straight out of the 1970's (with the exception of a nice flat screen TV). Also, as it was on the ground level (the external buildings are all 2 levels I think) there was a lot of noise from all the other cars driving around the property (which takes up an entire city block - or so they told me), and there was nowhere to unload my bags under cover which meant my bags and I got wet in the rain.

One last thing. Shortly after checkout I received a Visa alert that my credit card had been charged. I called the hotel to ask what this was, as the room was prepaid. After a few minutes of being on hold, they have back to me and told me "the clerk had made an error and now thankfully it had been reversed"! Yes, I'm very thankful!

Sorry to hear that the result was a disappointment - I'd suggest writing HOTWIRE to let them know about your experience and that you were put in a lesser building.

Thank you for letting us know about the change in amenity set for this HOTWIRE property so that we can update the site's Hotwire Hotel List.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

• 3 months later...

This really is the issue to look out for with this property. HOTWIRE has this as a 4 star property. I avoid Hotwire in downtown SLC because of it. On PRICELINE, it started out as a 3.5 star, went to a 4 star. I complained loudly and often and it went back to a 3.5 star, until earlier this summer, when it got bumped up to a 4 star, but now appears to be back at a 3.5 star. As I've written here before, it's really 3 different hotels. The tower (main hotel) is certainly a 4 star. The rest of the property is an old Motor lodge that while decorated and appointed pretty well, falls far short of a 4-star (or even 3.5 star rating)for many of the issues that you point out. The Motor lodge consists of several building, some of which are connected to the lobby either thru hallway (but stairs are involved no matter what), or thru a covered walkway. However, a couple of the buildings are not accessible from the lobby area at all, and you have to drive to them and park outside your room, motel style.

If you are lucky, they will give you a room in a connected building, and you can thus park under the main hotel and access your room thru indoor hallways. This is advantageous in winter or during rainy days. This tends to avoid the street noise as well to some extent, especially if you get an inside facing room. The hotel used to grant requests to be in the tower, but they quit doing that some time ago.

PRICELINE and HOTWIRE should either force them to divide this into two properties or lower the rating to a 2.5 star. I stay in SLC about 20 times a year, so here is a general outline of SLC travel for the downtown area (preferred by me over the 'burbs):

1. 4-stars almost always available thru PRICELINE. Sheraton has free parking. Hilton is the best, but parking is pricey (you can park across the street for a much smaller fee).

2. Little America, good value, if you can get in the portion of the motor lodge that is connected to the hotel. WiFi is not strong here, you need to negotiate some stairs. But they have restaurants, bars, and a great gym/pool. Parking is also free. I make this my second choice, and if the $-difference seems large between option 1 and 2, go for it.

3. I avoid the 3-stars on PRICELINE that are not good. Using knowledge from this site and HOTWIRE, you can probably find a bargain, but I've never gone there. I'd avoid Shilo and Red Lion, if you figure out a way to filter these out.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]