Priceline Hotel: Help in Bidding - First Timer

varoon
By varoon,
in

Hi

We are couple in mid 30's travelling to NY for the first time. We would be there from 4th June till 8th June

Besides the must do things like Central Park, Brookyln Bridge, Empire Stare Building , we would like to go clubbing /drinking & shop for clothes & home decor. And yes love to try our new cuisines / street food & do a cruise

After reading up, ideally would like to stay in Manhattan - towards midtown or south & close to a subway

We have a max budget of around 150 USD per night ( including taxes) to stay. Just looking at a very clean & safe place to sleep ( don't require many amenities)- so 3 or 3.5 star would do fine. Is it possible, cause rates currently on traditional booking sites cost is around 200 USD ( including taxes) in Manhattan & around 170 USD in Long Island City. Would much rather stay in Manhattan to avoid commute time.

Calling all experts to for tips & recommendations

Cheers

Unfortunately, this is during the prime late Spring/early Summer season and rates are definitely on the higher side - from the rates that I'm seeing, I'm guessing you're likely looking at more along the lines of $170-190 to stay in Midtown for these date/s. What hotel are you finding for $200 regular rate including tax?

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I have stayed at the Verve in LIC and it's a very clean, well run property, close to the elevated and 'regular' subway lines and a short ride to Manhattan. The neighborhood seemed to be safe BUT it's semi industrial/residential and parts of it are somewhat desolate at night which might be a bit disconcerting. If it's your first trip to New York and you want to experience a lot of the things you mention in your first post, I'd try to get a place in Manhattan for the convenience and the first time experience of the city. When you're an old timer like me, you can save a few bucks by staying in Manhattan 'adjacent' :D

I'd suggest first trying for a 3* and if rejected try for a 2.5*, but your budget ($150 all-in is only about $125 bid price in NYC) will likely be tough at both star levels, so i would choose as many acceptable zones as possible, which means it comes down to how much you're willing to deviate from your first choice of location and/or ideal property.

For example when bidding less than 4* in MTE some of the hotels can be a bit far east and up to a 15 minute walk to the subway, would this be acceptable? At 3.5* and below in CPS there is the Hudson hotel which has notoriously small rooms (~140 sq. ft)... would this be acceptable?

If you enter 'New York City, NY' into the search box at the top right of this page, let us know which zones (by PRICELINE name) are acceptable and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, while I have read up , not sure if these are the best zones for what we want to do

Here goes zones - which would be safe, well connected and have lot to do at night - clubbing, drinking ,eating

Central Park South, Chelsea, Empire State Building Area, Lower East Side,Madison Square Garden,Midtown East & West,Soho & Times Square

Please let me know how I should proceed. If 150 USD for a 3 star is unrelaistic, then perhaps can go upto 180 ( all inclusive)

Thanks

All those zones should be fine for your needs (there will be bars nearby all of these, but i can't necessarily comment on 'clubbing' as that's not my thing)... the only zone i would 'question' would be MTE as it does get a little quieter at nite. I'd have no problem staying in this zone but it may not have as active of a nightlife as you're seeking. However, you'll also find that most of manhattan is easily accessible by subway or taxi, so exact location (assuming you're generally central) isn't as important as in other cities where it may not be as easy to get around. Each nite you'll likely choose an area to spend time in and enjoy the restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. in that area, which may not necessarily be where your hotel is. For example, you may stay in MTE but head to Chelsea for the evening, simply taking a taxi back to your hotel at the end of the nite. Ultimately it comes down to what you want vs. what your budget will allow. $180 all-in is about a $150 bid price, which may still be tough for these dates, so you have to decide if you want to include this zone or not.

Let us know if you want us to include/exclude MTE and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Frankly, I dont have a point of view on MTE, but rather stay in a livelier area, so in that sense MTE could be avoided. Also not sure the order amongst the rest.

Hotel should be easily accessible through public transport, have wifi ( ideally free)and clean rooms with ensuite bathroom ( a must) and confortable bed. Not looking for anything particularly fancy ( anycase my budget doesn't allow anything of 3 star), as would hardly be spending much time in the room / hotel.

Will await what should be bidding strategy and the process

Thank you all for the help

So to confirm:

3* with a maximum bid of $150 in CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, MTW, MTW, Soho, TS

There are currently no re-bid zones at the 3* level in NYC, but with lots of zones acceptable you can try as follows:

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTW, MTE, Soho, TS...

Select 3* MTW, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, MTE, Soho, TS...

Select 3* CPS, MTE, ESB, LES, MSG...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTW, Chelsea, Soho, TS...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, Soho, LES, MSG...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTW, MTE, ESB, TS...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, TS, MSG...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTW, MTE, Soho, LES...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, MTW, MTE...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, Soho, TS..

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, Soho, MTE...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, MTW, TS..

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, MTW, TS...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, Soho, MTE..

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, MTW, MTE, Soho...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, MTW, MTE, TS...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, MTW, MTE, Soho, TS...

Bid $150

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Apologies for being indecisive .

1. But need to cap my bid at max 125 USD, so that in all it comes to 145-150 USD per night. This would be for a room for 2 people. MUST is a ensuite bathroom.

2. Need you to suggest the order of preference amongst zones. This is what I came up with purely on basis things to do towards evening and being best connected with public transport

CPS,TS,MTW,Chelsea,MSG,ESB,Soho,LES,MTE

Assume this order of preference would impact the bidding strategy

Request for a new bidding strategy basis the above

I've adjusted the price to your new budget:

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG...

Select 3* MTW, MTE, Soho, TS...

Select 3* MTW, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, MTE, Soho, TS...

Bid $105, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, MTE, ESB, LES, MSG...

Bid $108, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTW, Chelsea, Soho, TS...

Bid $108, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, Soho, LES, MSG...

Select 3* MTW, MTE, ESB, TS...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, TS, MSG...

Bid $113, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* MTW, MTE, Soho, LES...

Bid $113, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, MTW, MTE...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, Soho, TS..

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, Soho, MTE...

Bid $118, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, MTW, TS..

Bid $118, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, MTW, TS...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, Soho, MTE..

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, MTW, MTE, Soho...

Bid $123, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, MTW, MTE, TS...

Bid $123, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, LES, MSG, MTW, MTE, Soho, TS...

Bid $125

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

• 4 weeks later...

I seem to have hit a "roadblock" with priceline. Given my vacation is now very close and in my judgement i thought I would bid on priceline as close to my visit ( so as to make use of unsold inventory)

BUT, when after choosign the area and hotel category, when I reach the page to fill in credit card details, it doesn't give an option for "INDIA" under "which country" question. So now I am unsure what to do, if I can bid at all? Anyone has any idea, I have written to priceline an email, but havent herd back from them

AaronJb/Romelle/thereuare..thanks for all the help till now

Got hold of a friends US credit card and did the bidding on priceline a few days back. Wasnt a sucessful bid. I bid upto 165 USD ie around 210$ per night after taxes and fees for 3.5 Star..I not ok with going below a 3 star! The area I was bidding to recap were. I can maximum bid upto 165$'s

Central Park South

Chelsea Area

Empire State Building Area

Hell's Kitchen

Lower East Side

Madison Square Garden - Convention Area

Midtown East

Midtown West

SoHo - Tribeca

Times Square - Theatre District

Maybe I should include financial district as well and try again? But for a first time visitor, wont that be really at one end of Manhattan?

I already have a good deal/blocking in Long Island City for Hotel verve for 165$ all inclusive. But I am told that one should stay in Manhanttan only ( basically for the night life), even though travelling from say Times Square or financial district to "chelsea, meatpacking, greenwhich village" would be same from travelling from LIC in terms of time and convenience using the subway. Is that a correct thing..that LIC area is also as good???

I see a 3 star in hotwire in downtown - financial district, which after taxes would be around 217$'s..should I just purchase that instead of bidding? Not sure if this hotel would be in SOHO or financial district?

Any guesses on this & this is a great deal?

3* downtown - financial district

Description

Our 3-star hotels include:

Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts

Four Points by Sheraton

Sheraton Hotels & Resorts

Wingate Inns by Wyndham

Hampton Inns

and other brand-name and independent hotels

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Free Breakfast

<amenity names only please... not descriptions>

Fitness Center

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

High-Speed Internet Access

Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

ALSO

AaronJb/Romelle/thereuare..thanks for all the help till now

Got hold of a friends US credit card and did the bidding on priceline a few days back. Wasnt a sucessful bid. I bid upto 165 USD ie around 210$ per night after taxes and fees for 3.5 Star..I not ok with going below a 3 star! The area I was bidding to recap were. I can maximum bid upto 165$'s

Central Park South

Chelsea Area

Empire State Building Area

Hell's Kitchen

Lower East Side

Madison Square Garden - Convention Area

Midtown East

Midtown West

SoHo - Tribeca

Times Square - Theatre District

Maybe I should include financial district as well and try again? But for a first time visitor, wont that be really at one end of Manhattan?

I already have a good deal/blocking in Long Island City for Hotel verve for 165$ all inclusive. But I am told that one should stay in Manhanttan only ( basically for the night life), even though travelling from say Times Square or financial district to "chelsea, meatpacking, greenwhich village" would be same from travelling from LIC in terms of time and convenience using the subway. Is that a correct thing..that LIC area is also as good???

I see a 3 star in hotwire in downtown - financial district, which after taxes would be around 217$'s..should I just purchase that instead of bidding? Not sure if this hotel would be in SOHO or financial district?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]