Hotwire Hotel: Help ID Chicago hotels 6/7-6/12, Mag. Mile-River North

dsigngrrl
By dsigngrrl,
in

I'm planning a trip, looking for a place close to Merchandise Mart, and these seem promising (all three are Magnificent Mile-River North area) but my dates are a little flexible and I am open to suggestions:

**1/2, $241 ($500 other sites)

Amenities: Free breakfast, free internet, smoke free rooms, high-speed internet access

no recommendations, still gathering reviews.

***1/2, $286 ($394 other sites)

Amenities: Free Internet, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access

Accessible for the blind, Accessible for the deaf, Accessible path of travel, In-room accessibility, Accessible bathroom, Roll-in shower

85% recommendations

**** $296 ($395 other sites)

Amenities: Free Internet, Boutique Hotel, Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access,

Accessible for the blind, Accessible for the deaf

75% recommendations

An assortment of thoughts:

1. If you saved a good deal, would you be willing to be a bit further away? Chicago is largely walkable and there's plenty of public transit. Additionally, there's really not many hotels RIGHT by the Mart (the only hotel *right* by the Mart is the Holiday Inn at the Mart, and if there's something going on at the Mart, there's likely little if any inventory at that hotel.)

2. The 2.5* above has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board; the 3.5* MAY be a possible match for the River Hotel or Club Quarters Wacker Michigan and the 4* is likely the Felix.

3. Are you driving? If so, there are very nice areas outside the city that would be way cheaper, but it would involve a definite commute.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

It's a good idea, staying outside of the immediate area. Initially, I was concerned because last year at this same time a couple attending the same conference was mugged using the train, and I suppose I was scared off, thinking I just wanted to get in and out easily. But maybe driving would be worthwhile. going to look into it now.

Thanks for the help with the ID, and the suggestion.

Let us know how you decide you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

... and please click each of the links above before replying.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

It's a good idea, staying outside of the immediate area. Initially, I was concerned because last year at this same time a couple attending the same conference was mugged using the train, and I suppose I was scared off, thinking I just wanted to get in and out easily. But maybe driving would be worthwhile. going to look into it now.

Thanks for the help with the ID, and the suggestion.

If your interest in design is in regards to interior design, this article from Chicago Home and Garden provides a list of the best interior design related stores in the North suburbs, and there is a bunch (and more than what's in the article.)

http://www.chicagohomemag.com/Chicago-Home/Fall-2012/Best-Design-Shops-on-the-North-Shore/

The situation with driving would be:

Pros: cheaper hotel (by more than half), free parking, North suburbs are very nice with a lot of shopping options, some sights (including the Chicago Botanic Garden - in the burbs, despite the name and the Ravinia Festival - http://www.ravinia.org/, http://www.chicagobotanic.org/) and a lot of varied (and a number of quite good/great) restaurant options.

Cons: Longish train ride (40-45 minutes, depending - there are express trains during the morning/evening rush during weekdays, trains do not come as often on weekends), but Metra trains are very nice with conductors, two levels and bathrooms (Amtrak-like) - you would not be taking the CTA trains to outlying suburbs. The train would - depending on where you stay - go to Union Station or Ogilvie Station (which are next to each other), and either station is a very quick taxi ride (shouldn't really take more than a few minutes, tops) from the Mart Plaza (or during the day you could easily just walk over if you don't have a lot to carry.)

The cheapest 4* for these date/s downtown is $219 in the Gold Coast, but rates in the Mag Mile-WT and Mag Mile-RN areas are around $240-300. I'm seeing a 4* in the Northbrook area in the suburbs for $81 on HOTWIRE, and I'm guessing a 4* in the North Shore zone (which is a specific zone within the North Shore region on PRICELINE, please ask if you have any questions before bidding) could probably be had for $55-70. The HOTWIRE listing may be the Sheraton Northbrook, Renaissance Northbrook or Westin North Shore - the Westin would be a moderate drive to a Metra Station, but the other two are a short drive to one and the Renaissance offers (at least last I checked) a shuttle, although it has certain hours.

If you stay downtown, I'd say consider the cheaper Gold Coast 4* at $219 vs the 4* for $296 in the Mag Mile and just take a taxi back at the end of the day. Even if the taxi is $10-15 back each night (I'd say more towards $10 is likely, although it depends), that's still cheaper than $296.

Definitely let us know if you have any questions (hotel or area.)

Thank you for using the board's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]