Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Midtown East) Doubletree By Hilton Metropolitan New York

DogJP
By DogJP,
in

Hi there,

We would like to see about getting a room in New York for 2 people from March 29 to April 1. It's during the Easter long weekend, so I understand it may be harder to get rooms and they may be more expensive. Not being a pro on Priceline or Hotwire, what would you recommend we do? We were hoping to stay below $150. Do you know if it would be fairly easy to get from "Hoboken - Jersey City - North Bergen" or "Long Island City - Greenpoint" into Manhattan using public transit?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

What is your desired star rating OR are you looking for the highest rated hotel that you can get within your budget? Which zones of Manhattan are you considering?

Staying in the NJ or NY 'suburbs' is do-able but less convenient then staying directly in Manhattan... are you considering these options only if your bidding for NYC fails OR is this a consideration if $150 is enough for Manhattan? If the latter, how much would you need to save to make staying in the 'burbs worthwhile?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread. If you ultimately make a purchase and the thread then belongs in a different part of the board it will be moved automatically when you use the EDIT TO REPORT WIN button on the lower right corner of the board.

For help with the HOTWIRE property above please change the drop down menu on the top right of HOTWIRE's page to United States and the currency dropdown to US Dollars. Then continue to search HOTWIRE and post to the board in US Dollars so that rates are consistent and not subject to interpretation due to future currency fluctuation. Once you're ready to purchase stay on the US version of their site and simply change the drop down menu to whatever currency you'd like to use and complete your purchase.

Using the method above, what is the room rate per nite in US Dollars?

Also, the HOTWIRE property you asked about is only for one nite while your first post is for two nites... are you looking/willing to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID for this short stay?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I was hoping to get anything above a 3* and under US$150. My preference is to stay in Manhattan and not have to worry about travelling back and forth. I am willing to split the bid, though again, less ideal. The cost for that Hoboken area hotel for Mar 29-30 is US$144.

It appears your first objective is to try for the complete stay within your budget, correct? If so, let's start with:

What is your desired star rating OR are you looking for the highest rated hotel that you can get within your budget? Which zones of Manhattan are you considering?

???

For the average user, at the 4* level, MTE, MTW, TS, CPS, MSG and ESB all seem to work well... if you look at the PRICELINE maps for this region (easy access entering 'New York City, NY' in the PRICELINE search box on the top right of the board) are all of these acceptable?

Please confirm and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

When bidding 4* in NYC you have FOUR re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE, MTW, TS...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CPS, MSG and ESB...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $123, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, MSG, TS...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CPS, MTW and ESB...

Bid $128, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, MTW, ESB...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $138, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CPS, MSG and TS...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $138, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, MTW, TS, CPS, MSG and ESB...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

The hotel was good - the room was a fair size, and the location was excellent (very close to a few metro lines).

After our stay, I noticed that my credit card was charged $50/night. When I called the hotel to inquire about the charge, they said that they always put that amount as a "hold" (in case case of incidentals incurred during the stay) but that they would release the hold if there were not any incidentals. The hotel also said that normally for non-US credit cards, the release may take from 2 weeks to 1 month.

Is this normal practice? I've stayed in many hotels and while they always run my card to prevent people from skipping out without paying for incidentals, I thought they never actually carry out the charge but instead just gets authorisation for a certain amount?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]