Priceline Hotel: 4 or 5*in NYC/Sept 18-21

fitzhokies
By fitzhokies,
in

Hello-

First time using these boards. I have tried three times (with 72 hour waits between!) to find a 4 or 5* hotel in Manhattan for 9/18-9/21.

My last session went as follows:

MTE / 5*/ $100 - rejected

MTE / 4 or 5*/$90 - rejected

MTE,MTW / 4 or 5*/$98 - rejected

MTE,MTW,UWS/4 or 5*/$105 - rejected

So either NYC is very full that weekend or I am still bidding too low (I was hopeful after seeing the Waldorf Towers for $105!http://www.betterbidding.com/style_images/1/icon1.gif).

Any free re-bid suggestions?

Also, have heard great things about the Jolly Madison in MTS but am scared to bid 3* since I don't know what else I may end up with! Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I'm glad to see you lowered your bid price when you went from 5* to 4*, as that's a common mistake many make.

Are you willing to pay more than $100 for a 5* hotel? If so, you can use re-bidding to actually have 7 attempts at getting the hotel within the same 72 hour period!!

5* MTE (and then add re-bid zones, one at a time, raising your bid each time)

If you're then rejected at your maximim 5* bid, then you can start an entirely new bid (go back to priceline's first screen, NOT by using the BACK button)

I think you understand re-bidding based upon your current approach (although you would have been better off trying the $105 for a 5* using a re-bid before trying it in combination with the 4*... hope that makes sense, but if not, feel free to ask)

It appears, based upon your post and one other tonite, that we're starting to see access to inventory limited in this zone until closer to check-in. I recently went thru this with my a hotel in Puerto Rico, just required a little patience and persistence... no inventory, no inventory, no inventory, BANG! flood gates open and wide spread inventory available. I think your bids are inline, and wouldn't drop to 3* yet at this point.

I'm on my way out to dinner, but will post a strategy when i return if you reply as to the maximum you would want to pay for a 5*.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi fitzhokies and welcome!

I think the cause of the room shortage is the following:

September 12-19 - Spring 2004 Fashion Week "7th on Sixth"

This is the big show when they set up tents in Bryant Park

Then add to the mix:

September 16-18 - PC Expo (about 45,000 attendees)

September 19-22 - Home Textiles Show (10,000)

None of those events in and of themselves fill up all the hotels, however, the overlap, when mixed with regular fall business travel, can definitely make inventory tight.

Thanks so much for your responses!

Yes, I think understand what you are saying about going through all the rebids with the 5*s first. And, if I understand correctly, starting an entirely new bid with 4* would extend the possibilities for me if my max 5* bid is rejected.

I am willing to pay up to $120 max for a 5 star. My gut says we'd probably be just as happy in a 4* (which I am guessing I should be able to get for $100 or less). It must be my competitive spirit that makes me want to get a 5* room ;-)

Welldone Rumproast's post certainly shed some light on why things are so tight. Unfortunately, we've already gotten our time off and train tickets.

Now, please tell, how can I get 7 re-bids???

Thanks again.

You can get a total of 7 bids (your first bid + 6 re-bids) when bidding for the 5* (NOT when you are bidding 4*), since as of this writing no other zone than MTE offers 5* hotels (but you should double check this on your own before placing your bids since hotels can be added and zones redefined at any time). You can learn more about re-bidding and how to check the zones in THIS POST. If you have any questions after reading it, feel free to ask.

So if you indeed have 6 re-bids availabe at the 5* level, i would bid in the following increments:

$105, $110, $112, $114, $116, $118, $120.

(again, if you're unsure of exactly how to do this, ask for more clarification before you bid)

If that's rejected.... (just noticed something), is UWS an option as well? Just noticed UWS in your first post and i missed it the first time around <sorry>? Which zones are acceptable to you, then i'll post a 4* strategy.

WDR, good detective work on the conferences/meetings. I think that those are definately playing a factor, as well, Bryant Park is right near the dividing line of MTE and MTW, so Fashion Week is probably affecting both zones since it's close to each.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I realize that I forgot the most important factor when conserding the Waldorf Towers - the United Nations.

The W-T is the US Governent's "official" diplomatic hotel, and of course other nation's diplomats stay there.

And by coincidence, the annual session of the General Assembly starts on September 16th.

Actually, the only reason that there's still availability is that George Bush doesn't regularly speak at this session (unlike his dad and Bill Clinton). If the Prez is in residence, the Secret Service would claim a big chunk of the rooms.

Lowest rate (on the Conrad website) is USD 529 :)

Also, the more I think of it, Fashion Week might not be as much of a factor - the "fashionistas" probably prefer more "hip" places like the Bryant Park Hotel, the Dylan Hotel and the Royalton Hotel :)

I recommend the Midtown West (MTW) or Midtown East (MTE) zones for tourists. MTW goes from about six blocks south of Central Park to Times Square. MTE is just to the east of Times Square. The Central Park Zone (CPS) has fabulous 4* hotels but they usually cost you at least 25% more than the other two zones.

Our web host can give you the link to his discussion of the NY hotel zones on this site. It's very helpful.

You can view the list of NY Priceline hotels reported on this site to date by scolling down to the New York section.

(Thanks Welldone!)

I have tried twice since my last post to get a 5* for September 18-21, bidding up to $130 without success.

I know I need to move on to 4* but am at a loss as to which zone would offer the best hotels. We are basically playing tourist. Plan on seeing a show, sightseeing, museums, some shopping, etc.

Any suggestions on what zone to start with? I'd be willing to bid up to $105 I think, probably will start at $80...sound reasonable?

Here's a description of all the Priceline zones: NYC Zone Descriptions.

I would focus on the following zones: MTE, MTW, and UM/CPS. However, if after reading the above descriptions there is a zone you want to include or one that i listed that you don't want to include, post back and i'll adjust the strategy.

If those 3 zones are acceptable to you, this is the strategy i would follow, based upon your maximum $105 bid price:

4* MTE bid $75, if rejected...

add MTW bid $88, if rejected...

add UM/CPS bid $95, if rejected...

add re-bid zone and bid $105.

I'm aware of your previously rejected bids and would stick with the above strategy for the time being.

If you've found the information at this site to be helpful (or fun :) ) please start your bid thru the link at SavingsBarn.com

Well it's obviously too low at this point in time (otherwise you would hav been accepted) and i would probably stick with the above strategy until the end of the month. You may get a counter-offer somewhere in there as well and you can gain some insight with that information (just post the amount of the counter-offer along with how much you had bid at that time).

I'd book a cancellable back-up at this time and continue not raise my bid amounts just yet.

fitzhokies - the Conrad website still has a "best unrestricted rate" of $529 for your dates (hey, for $5 more they throw in a full buffet breakfast for two - what a bargain) :)

Last Thursday 8/14 I tried to get one night 8/15 at the 5*/W-T - I was rejected all the way to my top bid of $125. The lowest Conrad website rate at the time of my final attempt was $316.

Ironically, having failed to get the W-T, I decided to go to my Plan B and stay at the airport, foregoing a trip into hthe city. I ended up booking my Newark airport hotel about ninety minutes BEFORE the blackout. Talk about fortuitous timing :)

That WAS good timing! Glad you made it. How long was the power out there? I bet checking in was fun...

I have decided to up my bids significantly. For a 5* I'll bid t0 $150 and for a 4* to $125. There just aren't any cheaper deals to be had on Expedia, hotwire or quickbook.

What do you know of the Helmsley hotels - I have seen declining reviews on trip advisor. They and the Mayflower on the Park had some less expensive rates...

Thanks,

Shaya

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]