Priceline Hotel: Help request - bidding for EWR hotel

kdzgon
By kdzgon,
in

Hello,

I have used Priceline before, but it has been a very long time, so I'd like a little advice.

I am doing this on short notice, on behalf of my 79 YO mom. She will be flying out of EWR on Sun, Mar 10 (8 AM flight), so I'd like to put her in a hotel the evening before.

Details:

• Need hotel near EWR (Newark Airport)
    Check-in date Sat, Mar 9, 2013 (no flexibility)
    1 person only, 1 night
    Any bed configuration would be fine*
    Preference would be a smoking room*
    (I do know neither of these* are selectable but might be obtainable (no guarantee) after booking, via a request, but I am providing the info here in interest of completeness.)
    She will NOT have a car, so parking is not an issue
    She WILL require a shuttle to the airport, and it will need to get her there by approx 6 AM. *This item is one where I need advice - is this something I can be sure of getting in a Priceline bid?
    Flight leaves from Terminal A
    Four star is not necessary, but I don't want a dump either. I would like advice on the best balance between price and amenities. Main goal is to simplify transportation to the airport considering the flight time, at a reasonable rate.
    Breakfast would be nice, but definitely not required, especially due to the hour of check-out.

If I missed anything, please let me know.

I am off to map the zones and see if a strategy is doable. Do I post a strategy and get advice, or will someone help design a bidding strategy re: zones? Either way, I would appreciate advice re: suggestions for bid price(s).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

OK, editing to say re-bids likely not an option. Therefore, looks like only advice possible would be recommended price options. I think since this is for my mom and I am doing this long distance, I will just book direct this time (f&F discount w/ Marriott) and save my bids for my own trips.

Thanks so much for reading! (I don't know how to/if I can delete this thread - sorry!)

She WILL require a shuttle to the airport, and it will need to get her there by approx 6 AM. *This item is one where I need advice - is this something I can be sure of getting in a Priceline bid?

You can't guarantee a shuttle with a PRICELINE bid... but HOTWIRE or PRICELINE EXPRESS may be an option if you choose a hotel with a Shuttle amenity listed. HOWEVER, the shuttle does not necessarily run 24/7 so there is always a chance that the first run of the day is after 6am. HOWEVER, even adding a $10 taxi ride to the airport to the cost of your PRICELINE or HOTWIRE purchase will likely be cheaper then booking the same hotel direct at full price.

OK, editing to say re-bids likely not an option.

Why not? Re-Bidding, as defined in Priceline Re-Bidding Explained, is adding a zone that you can't win because the added zone only contains hotels that are lower rated then the minimum star rating you select when bidding. If done correctly you're still assured of ending upon the EWR zone, so why not use this strategy in your bidding?

Based upon the information about let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The highest star level available for bidding EWR airport right now is a 3 1/2. At that level there are 4 possible free rebid zones. At the 3* level there is only 1 free rebid zone. If you want to try this technique and are unsure whether you've determined them correctly, you can post your list back here and somebody will double check it.

If you happen to get a hotel that doesn't have shuttle service that early in the morning, you could probably get the front desk to help you reserve a cab for morning. You could do the set up when you bring your mom to the hotel. Generally they are pretty good about that sort of help.

If there is a shuttle and it runs early enough, one minor precaution - I've learned that flight crews staying at the hotel have priority for those early shuttle runs. You could ask about this to make sure it isn't a factor. If on the off chance it is a factor, then you could still reserve a cab.

I don't know if the shuttles have just one drop-off point or will make a terminal specific drop-off? That would be a good question for the hotel.

Some hotels have no sympathy if you have to leave too early to catch breakfast. On the other hand, some will make you up a nice little brown bag breakfast. And sometimes even if the posted hours are later for breakfast, the hotels feed those flight crews earlier. I've successfully just gone in the dining area and gotten fed somewhat earlier than the posted hours. If the lights are on and other people are eating, I figure it is worth a shot.

And wake-up calls - for really early get-ups, I like about three shots at it. The hotel call, my own travel alarm, and either the clock or TV in the room.

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]