Priceline Hotel: 3* New York City (Lower East Side) Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel

DougWI
By DougWI,
in

I’m looking for your strategy suggestions and reasonable opening bid price as well as reasonable top bid price.

I have booked rooms twice using Hotwire. Once was in New York/ Manhattan. I have never put in a Priceline bid. With your help I’m looking to give Priceline a try.

Goals:

3 star or better

Basically anywhere from Central to lower Manhattan

Dates: May 16-May 20

Price Goal $140/day. Is this reasonable?

With Hotwire we got the Bentley in Manhattan(3 star Priceline / 3 ½ star Hotwire) the last week of January 2013 at $100/day. We were happy with this hotel. Walk to subway was about 10 minutes. I’m hoping to be at least this close to the subway next time. I read some hotels are further walks to the subway but I not sure what areas to avoid. To me this walking distance was the only issue we had with the hotel.

Areas that we would like to stay: Using Priceline terms, this includes:

Central Park South

Chelsea Area

Downtown Financial District

Empire State Building

Hells Kitchen

Long Island City (if close to Subway entrance and at a savings of $30/day+)

Lower East Side.

Madison square Garden

Midtown East

Midtown West

Queens borough Bridge (note we stayed at the Bently (3 ½ *) last week of January at $100/night via Hotwire and were happy with this hotel and location. The total price was exactly $100/night.)

SoHo Tribeca

Time Square – Theatre District (Would pay up to an extra $30/day to stay here)

Upper East Side (less desirable)

Upper West Side (less desirable)

I would consider areas further away if I was reasonably confident that the subway entrance was close to the hotel and the subway would take us to Manhattan. Although we went to multiple destinations it seemed like we were drawn to Time Square / Theater district the most for everything from Good Morning America to musicals to restaurants to sundries.

Looking at “Express Deals” on Priceline I am finding:

4 start @ Downtown Financial District @ 185/night

4 Stars @ Midtown East @ $199/night

So I’m hopeful that by going with the bidding process and reducing the hotel to 3 stars the $130 price is doable.

Note– I have read my messages and clicked on the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links in my welcome message.

Thank you for your help.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Goals:

3 star or better

Dates: May 16-May 20

Price Goal $140/day. Is this reasonable?

You can try, but this would be at the very low end of the range of what i would expect to be accepted for these dates... another $20/nite to $160 would likely increase your chances.

Areas that we would like to stay: Using Priceline terms, this includes:

Central Park South

Chelsea Area

Downtown Financial District

Empire State Building

Hells Kitchen

Long Island City (if close to Subway entrance and at a savings of $30/day+)

Lower East Side.

Madison square Garden

Midtown East

Midtown West

Queens borough Bridge (note we stayed at the Bently (3 ½ *) last week of January at $100/night via Hotwire and were happy with this hotel and location. The total price was exactly $100/night.)

SoHo Tribeca

Time Square – Theatre District (Would pay up to an extra $30/day to stay here)

Upper East Side (less desirable)

Upper West Side (less desirable)

Exactly which of these zones do you want to include in your first round of bidding up to $140 (or up to $160 if you're willing/able to increase your budget)

I would not include LIC in the bidding since there is no way to ensure that you land a hotel that is within your desired proximity to the subway. Also note that at 3.5* and below:

MTE - some hotels can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway

CPS - has the Hudson hotel which has notoriously small rooms

--> you may want o include/exclude either of the above based upon your needs

Looking at “Express Deals” on Priceline I am finding:

4 start @ Downtown Financial District @ 185/night

4 Stars @ Midtown East @ $199/night

So I’m hopeful that by going with the bidding process and reducing the hotel to 3 stars the $130 price is doable.

If you're bidding 3* the price of the 4* hotels is not meaningful other than in setting an upper limit (not to go above the prices above) as there is often little correlation between the price of hotels in one star level and the prices in the star levels above and below it. I'm sure you listed the 4* hotel rates above because the 3* hotels may have actually been priced higher than these.

Please confirm the zone(s) you want to include in your first round of bidding as well as your maximum bid so that we don't suggest a strategy that goes higher then you're willing to pay, and we'll take it from there.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 months later...

thereuare

Thank you. The above vacation to New York City got changed to late July. Our flights are now booked and we are ready to book room. We need rooms July 23 for two nights then July 27 for two nights. In the middle we are going up state.

Goals:

3 star or better

Dates: July 23 thru 25 also July 27 thru 29

Per the above we would like to avoid areas that are 10 mins or over from subway entrance and avoid the Hudson due to very small rooms.

As far as our preferred areas I guess I need your advice with this. We intend to see several Broadway shows, we intend to go to Time Square, Sept 11 Memorial, Statue of Liberty, some high up area with a view like 30 Roc or Empire state building, walk over the Brooklyn bridge, Carlos bakery, we will need to get to Pen Station on Thursday early morning then back there on

Saturday for our trip on Amtrak. We are fine taking the subway.

I bid via Priceline on only Time Square for July 23 – two nights at $165 then $170 and both were rejected.

On Hotwirle we can3 star SoHo for $149 for our July 23 – first two nights.

Looking for recommended bid strategy.

Thank you for your help.

We will use this thread for your July 23-25 stay... please start a NEW TOPIC for the 7/27-7/29 leg of your trip.

I bid via Priceline on only Time Square for July 23 – two nights at $165 then $170 and both were rejected.

What star rating was this for? What is your maximum budget for this leg of the trip?

Let us know the above and we'll have a look at rates for these dates.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for your offer to help.

I am going from memory but think I picked 4 star on the failed bids.

As to budget, it's a sliding scale. If I could get a time square 4 star I was willing to go to 170. If the room is in soho and 3 star then below what Hotwire is offering. To expand on that, with any bid I plan on going to Hotwire and enter the same dates locations and stars and only bid below.

So I guess my answer is $170/night for 4 star in time square and less as I drop stars and get further away.

At the 4* level MTE, MTW, TS, CPS, ESB, MSG, and (most of Chelsea) work well for the average user and are centrally located... did you want to bid for all/some of these zones first at the 4* level (up to $170) OR did you first want to try bidding for a 3.5* in Times Square?

Let us know and we'll take it from there.

There are no re-bid zones when bidding 3.5* in NYC... what is your maximum bid for this star rating?

I'd also re-considering your 'need' to stay directly in Times Square, as it's really not necessary, imo. While i just tried to dissuade another user from staying too far out of midtown (staying outside of midtown is do-able when there is a significant savings), the opposite is true for Times Square and it's not necessary, nor worth the added expense, to stay directly in Times Square. See our comments here: Hotels Near Times Square and then let us know how you'd like to proceed, and if for a 3.5* in TS only, let us know your maximum bid.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thereuare,

Thank you for all your help. As you can tell, we are not experts and are struggling to answer your questions.

4* MidtownEast, MidtownWest, and UpperMidtown/CentralParkSouth + Time Square our absolute maximum bid would be $165/night. I am hoping to get under $170 as I really was unsure when I hit the button on my un-successful $170/night Time Square bid and was a little relieved when I lost.

Also we know we can always get a Hotwire 3 star SoHo for $149 and due to the hassle of bidding, Priceline should be cheaper then Hotwirel so I am assuming a 3.5* maximum bid should be about $150.

So I guess let’s start with 3.5* Time Square + MidtownEast, MidtownWest, and UpperMidtown/CentralParkSouth with a max of $150.

If no success then 4*, same areas with maximum of $165.

If you feel this is not reasonable please tell me.

So I guess let’s start with 3.5* Time Square + MidtownEast, MidtownWest, and UpperMidtown/CentralParkSouth with a max of $150.

Few caveats you need to be aware of when bidding 3.5* and under:

MTE - some of the hotels can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway... would this be acceptable?

CPS - has the Hudson Hotel, which while centrally located, has notoriously small rooms (even by NYC standards)... would be this acceptable?

At current rates my guess is that you're likely looking at more than $150 for a 3.5* property but less than $175 for a 4* property (if you include all 'midtown' zones in your bidding)

Let us know your thoughts on how you'd like to proceed, or ask any additional questions you have, and we'll take it from there.

thereuare

Once again, thank you for your knowledge, patience and help. This site is amazing.

As amazing as this site is, I’m quickly losing faith in Priceline as the correct tool for us. I read about 60% savings. Maybe at one time or someplace else, but in Manhattan today there does not seem to be savings. Why go thru the process if it results in a 15 minute walk to the subway hotel or very small rooms?

One of the issues is at a given category, say 3.5* you run the risk of a hotel that should be 2* like the example you gave due to very small rooms. Knowing my luck I’d press the bid button hoping to get any other hotel and get the one that I don’t want.

I started on this journey so at this point I’m going to follow through with it.

So let’s start with 3.5* Time Square +(remove MidtownEast), MidtownWest, and (remove UpperMidtown/CentralParkSouth) with a max of $150.

If no success then 3*, same areas with maximum of $140 unless opening up to 3* ads some new clunkers we need to avoid.

If I get a winning bid then I’ll sing the praises of Priceline. If we are not successful at this then I validated to myself that Priceline is simply not enough of a savings at this time and grab a hotwire deal.

Again thereuare, thank you for your help.

Maybe at one time or someplace else, but in Manhattan today there does not seem to be savings.

While PRICELINE may or may not be right for you for this given stay, there savings are definitely there. You can get a 4* hotel thru PRICELINE for this stay for less than $180/nite... using MAPS and HOTELS.com and filtering for 4* hotels the least expensive midtown starts at $233/nite, so that is $50+ savings per nite vs. the lowest price hotel available (and the hotel i believe you'd get is priced at $296/nite which comes to 40%+ savings).

Why go thru the process if it results in a 15 minute walk to the subway hotel or very small rooms?

Given our knowledge of NYC and hotels that have been received thru PRICELINE and HOTWIRE, we try to make sure you're aware of any location issues so that you can 'prepare for the worst and hope for the best' OR make a more educated decision on the star rating and zones that you're willing to accept. In terms of room size... it's NYC, and you can receive a small room at any hotel and at any price. I was just researching a hotel for another user and was reading a NYC hotel review and the review complained that it was the smallest hotel room he had ever seen and had paid $375/nite (and that was not thru a 3rd party booking service).
One of the issues is at a given category, say 3.5* you run the risk of a hotel that should be 2* like the example you gave due to very small rooms.
Again, you have to take all the information and make a decision if the savings are worth the risk you're taking for the star rating and zones you're selecting... if not choose other star rating, zones, or use HOTWIRE where you can get a better feel for the hotel based upon the amenities shown before your purchase, as well as get some comfort based upon the percent recommended by previous HOTWIRE guests and/or TA review information when shown.
So let’s start with 3.5* Time Square +(remove MidtownEast), MidtownWest, and (remove UpperMidtown/CentralParkSouth) with a max of $150.

So at the 3.5* level bidding Times Square and MTW only? If so...

When bidding 3.5* in NYC you have NO re-bid zones.... at the 4* level you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* MTW...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* TS...

Bid $135, if rejected add TS...

Bid $140

If the above is rejected we'll revise to try again tomorrow and go up to $150, and if that too is rejected, we'll suggest a 4* strategy, but to confirm, at the 4* level are you willing to bid all four zones (TS, MTE, MTW, CPS) OR only these two again (MTW and TS)? At the 4* level is there a reason you're not including the MSG zone as i think that would improved your chances quite a bit.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Thank you. I did these three and rejected each time.

Then.......On my own – included using your PRICELINE link and closing the browser several times

MTW 4* at 160 - rejected

Time Square 4* at 170 - rejected

MTW + (Morningside heights Harlem as rebid zone) 4* 165 - rejected

MTW + (Morningside heights Harlem + Long Island City as rebid zone) 4* 170 - rejected

MTW + Morningside heights Harlem + Long Island City + Time Square 4* 175 - rejected

On my own – included using your PRICELINE link and closing the browser several times

Then...

Central Park South 4* at 160 – rejected

Central Park South 4* + (Morningside heights Harlem as rebid zone) 4* 165 – rejected

Central Park South 4*+ (Morningside heights Harlem + Long Island City as rebid zone) 4* 170 – rejected

Then…

MTE 4* at 160 – rejected

MTE 4* + (Morningside heights Harlem as rebid zone) 4* 165 – rejected

MTE 4*+ (Morningside heights Harlem + Long Island City as rebid zone) 4* 170 – rejected

Then...

Madison Square Garden 4* at 150 – rejected

Madison Square Garden 4* + Time Square at 155 - rejected

Madison Square Garden + Time Square + Morningside heights Harlem as rebid zone 4* 160 – rejected

Madison Square Garden + Time Square+ (Morningside heights Harlem + Long Island City as rebid zone) 4* 165 - rejected

I think after 24 hours I will go back to 3.5* and try

Select 3.5* MTW...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE...

Select 3.5* TS...

Bid $145, if rejected add TS...

Bid $148 if rejected I think I will ask you what you think of some other areas like Chelsea Area, Empire State Building, Hells Kitchen, Madison Square Garden. Why is queensboro bridge grayed out? Any bad things to avoid?

Your strategy for a 3.5* property is fine... i don't know of any 'known' issues in either of those zones at the 3.5* level.

Queensboro Bridge is greyed-out as PRICELINE does not currently have any 'name your own price' contracts with hotels in this zone so therefore no bidding is available in this zone.

Good luck and let us know how the next round of bidding goes.

Hells Kitchen ESB 4* 160 – rejected

Hells Kitchen ESB 4*+ (Morningside heights Harlem as rebid zone)165 – rejected

Chelsea Area 4* 160 – rejected

Chelsea Area 4*+ (Morningside heights Harlem as rebid zone)165 – rejected

Central Park South, Chelsea Area, Empire State Building Area, Madison Square Garden - Convention Area

Midtown West, Times Square - Theatre District 4* 165 - rejected

Central Park South, Chelsea Area, Empire State Building Area, Hell's Kitchen, Madison Square Garden - Convention Area, Midtown West, Times Square - Theatre District 4* 168 – rejected

Central Park South, Chelsea Area, Empire State Building Area, Hell's Kitchen, Madison Square Garden - Convention Area, Midtown West, Times Square - Theatre District 4* + MTE 170 - rejected

3.5* up to 150 .......

Chelsea Area, Empire State Building Area, Hell's Kitchen, Madison Square Garden - Convention Area3.5* 140 – rejected

Chelsea Area, Empire State Building Area, Hell's Kitchen, Madison Square Garden - Convention Area + Time Square 3.5* 145 – rejected

Chelsea Area, Empire State Building Area, Hell's Kitchen, Madison Square Garden - Convention Area + Time Square + Mid Town West 3.5* 150 - rejected

I’m asking for your suggestions….am I better off trying some 3.5* to 4* in the Downtown / SoHo / Lower East side area? Or am I better off trying some 3* bids around TS, MTW, Madison Square Garden area?

Are there 3* rebid zones?

I’m hoping to avoid extremely small rooms (Hudson) very long walks to subway (10 minutes or over) and any unpleasant surprises you may be aware of in these areas.

Right now HOTWIRE has a 4* MSG/Hells Kitchen at $179. Keep in mind my Priceline $170 bid for this area was rejected. Of course we do not know what price would have been accepted but this just is validating to me that my maximum bids are reasonable. I mean $9 more and I can skip all the bidding and just get it.

I am trying to give PRICELINE every chance here. Really trying hard.

HOTWIRE also has a 3* Downtown at $149. Keep in mind some of the things on our list of things to do include walking across the Brooklyn Bridge and taking the guided Memorial tour so we will be in this area for these things.

What are the issues / concerns when bidding 3*?

Again, thank you for all your help.

I am trying to give PRICELINE every chance here. Really trying hard.
WHY?? If PRICELINE is not offering the best deal for this stay, or doesn't give you the ability to meet your criteria, then go with HOTWIRE (which does appear to be able to hit all your buttons)

I'm guessing the 4* hotel in the MSG-HK zone at $179 to be the Doubletree Chelsea (Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Wheelchair Accessible, Roll-in Shower, Pet Friendly) so you can read up on this property (and assuming we're correct) see if this property meets your needs.

Another option would be the 3.5* hotel in the Times Square zone for $181/nite (Restaurant, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Blind Accessible, Deaf Accessible, Travel Accessible, Room Accessible, Bathroom Accessible, Roll-in Shower) which i'm guessing to be the Belvedere.

The Doubletree was last reported to the board at the 3.5* level but i believe it has been upgraded since then, and the Belvedere gets good reviews, so i wouldn't get so caught up between the 3.5* and 4* aspect, the two hotels are likely very similar in quality/experience.

I would take one of these midtown hotels before choosing a 3* property Downtown at the prices you're seeing for each... the less central location and the drop in star rating is not worth the savings, imo.

Just tried to beat a dead horse…….trying Priceline…

TS 4* 170 Rejected

TS 3 1/3* 160 Rejected

CPS/MTW 172 4* Rejected

TS, MTW 3.5* 165 Rejected

MSG, TS, MTW 3.5* 169 Rejected

Chelsea Area, Empire State Building Area, Hell's Kitchen 3.5* 165 Rejected

TS+ MTW 4* 179 – Rejected

TS+ MTW 4*(+Harlem rebid zone) 183 – Rejected

TS+ MTW 4*(+Harlem + Long island city rebid zone) 186 – Rejected

TS, MTW, HK 3.5* 175 – Rejected

TS, MTW, HK, MSG 3.5* 179 – Rejected

Please not that last bid…..$179 for 3.5* and Hotwire has $181 for 3.5* in Tim Square – Rejected Hotwire is 181 for 3.5* TS

Now lower / Downtown area...3.5*

Downtown - Financial District, SoHo – Tribeca 3.5* $140 - Rejected

Downtown - Financial District, SoHo – Tribeca, Lower East Side 3.5* $150 - Rejected

Downtown - Financial District, SoHo – Tribeca, Lower East Side, MTE 3.5* $155 (hoping I don’t get the Hudson) Rejected - Rejected

TS, MTW, HK, MSG 3.5* 179 – Rejected

Again... WHY?? :unsure:

Even if accepted this would be the same price and lower rated than the 4* HOTWIRE offer. I'm not sure why you're fixated on using PRICELINE as opposed to the service that offers the best deal for this stay at this time.

The 3.5* on HOTWIRE in the Times Square zone is likely the Belvedere is that property is rated less than 3.5* by PRICELINE, which explains the rejected 3.5* bid at $179/nite even though HOTWIRE has a 3.5* for $181.

Again... WHY?? :unsure:

Cause if I go with Priceline maybe Kaley Cuoco from Priceline will be our chamber maid? Seriously I have failed so at PRICELINE so many times, never winning once, I need to prove to myself its possible

Priceline Offered express deal 3* lower east side 163 Free breakfast…– goal is to do better than this…

Lower East Side $140 3* Rejected

Lower East Side + TS $145 3* Rejected

Lower East Side + TS + MTW $149 3* Rejected

NOTE – When I started this process Hotwire had a Downtown 3* at $149. This deal no longer exists. So I cost myself this deal by trying, and trying, and trying Priceline

Lower East Side + TS + MTW +MSG $154 3* Accepted

Got: Your Hotel Deal is in the Bag!

Congratulations. We just booked your stay at the Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel for just $154 a night. See your complete hotel itinerary below. I went to the hotel website and confirmed the room does come with free breakfast so I think it’s the same hotel as the one offered at 163 above. Likley doing all my Priceline bidding cost me $5/night by missing out on the previous Hotwire offer.

Offer Price:

avg. per room, per night $154.00

Rooms: 1

Nights: 2

Room Subtotal: $308.00

Taxes & Fees: $71.80

Total Charged to Card: $379.80

Please add to your hotel list:

New York - New York - Lower East Side - 3* via Priceline Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel

Glad you are pleased with the results and felt the time put forth was worth it for the results and knowledge that you will have for the next time you bid.

Patience is key, as is not getting wrapped up into a 'me vs. them' attitude... always strive for the best deal, and even if while you're bidding a better deal comes along elsewhere, remain flexible in order to change gears.

If you like sushi not too far from your hotel is Jin (252 Broome St) that has a Happy Hour menu weekdays from 3:30-7:00pm where everything on the menu is $3.50... there are about 4 wines to choose from, 4 draft beers, 4 bottle beers and two kinds of saki, a few salads (the avocado salad is excellent and surprisingly has a lot of avocado) as well as 20 or so sushi rolls and another dozen appetizers from the kitchen.... every item (including beer, wine, sake) is $3.50. It's not the best sushi i've ever had, but it is very good (ie- it's NOT like 'all you can eat' buffet sushi which is bad, imo) and certainly worth the $3.50 per piece during happy hour.

Have a great time in the city.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]