Priceline Hotel: Priceline MTS?

nai808
By nai808,
in

Hello,

This website has been very helpful...I have a question though! I've been trying to bid in the MTE, MTW and UM/CPS areas on Priceline and have been unsuccessful. I'm willing to go as low as a 2* hotel and would not like to pay more than $200/night after all fees and taxes.

I'm now considering MTS, and the Murray Hill East Suites seem great--assuming this is the hotel I would get? Does anyone know what other hotels Priceline offers in MTS? I would hate to be all the way south--like all the way by Union Square. Can this even be helped?

Alternatively, I have found rooms in my price range at Grand Union and Howard Johnson Penn Station...Any opinions on these hotels?

Thank you so much in advance for your advice! :) Our trip is coming up very soon so hopefully I won't have to worry much longer. :)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

The hotel you receive can be anywhere in the zone you bid... if you don't want to be in the south part of the zone than i wouldn't recommend bidding that area.

Between the Grand union and the HoJo Penn Station the Grand Union gets much better reviews (vs. the HoJo which gets horrible reviews).

Thru what site and at what price is the Grand Union being offered?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thanks for the fast response...

when i checked at justnewyorkhotels.com the grand union is being offered for a total of $1,037 after taxes. but now that i look at the site better that price might be pending availability...and i'm afraid it might not be available after all.

the site is also offering the best western convention center for about $160 cheaper (total), but i'm wondering if the jacobs javits convention center is an inconvenient location...it's hard to tell how far various places are in relation to each other! we want to do all the regular tourist things, so i'm thinking the closer to times square the better?

what do you think?

I'm an advocate that location is not that important in NYC as most place in midtown are fairly easily accessible to mass transit (and taxis are relatively inexpensive if you need to take them once in awhile).

The problem with the area around the Javitz Center is that it is fairly desolate, with not much really going on. It's not too far of a walk to Times Square, but the area is very quiet late at nite and you may not feel that safe walking back to the hotel.

Have you looked at our PRICELINE MAPS for NYC to perhaps get a better guage at where things are located?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

what a tough decision! i am tempted to try for the MTS zone in hopes of getting the murray hill east suites, but i wouldn't want to chance getting a desolate hotel, which like you mentioned might be a problem with the one by the convention center...

the maps were very helpful! it looks like the hotels in the midtown area are all close together, with the exception of two that are further south. and it seems that the murray hill east suites are as far south in midtown as priceline goes--at least when i looked at bookings within the past year or so. am i missing something?

do you think it would be wise to try to get the grand union? what do you think about the area that hotel is located in?

thanks again for this advice.

do you know if the hotels on priceline tend to reduce their asking price if they have many rooms available with only a couple of weeks to go?

:)

The location of the Grand Union is fine... with a few subway lines within a less than 10 minute walk away. If all you need is a roof over your head it'll likely be ok, but i wouldn't expect much more in terms of service or amenities.

Would you consider SPLITTING YOUR BID or staying in a commutable area of New Jersey? (for all/part of your stay)

You could likely get an equivalent hotel as the Grand Union for half the price, as the cost of having to take a 15 minute train ride into the city.

hi...here's an update.

the grand union, as i feared, was not available at the price listed on the website. i was able to get a cancelable reservation at the Helmsley Middletowne for $231 per night, plus taxes. i didn't want to pay that much but i think the hotels are really booked for my dates.

in the meantime i will continue to try bidding for 3*+ on priceline up to now $200 (before taxes). hopefully i will get lucky.

do you know much about the helmsley middletowne?

i think i want to avoid splitting my bid because i wouldn't want to change hotels.

off the subject, does anyone have good advice regarding transportation between the hotel and the airport? is a taxi the only way to go? or should i check with my hotel to see if they offer a shuttle?

thanks again! aloha!

i will be flying into LGA on a thursday night at about 8:30p.m.

today i tried priceline in the MTE, MTW and UM/CPS zones (as per the bidding strategy) up to $205 or so and got rejected each time. so, i'm happy to have a backup plan. i'm still contemplating trying MTS on priceline, too.

if you have any other basic tips for a first time new york traveler, please let me know. in particular, i'm wondering which tickets, if any, i should purchase in advance (i.e., broadway shows, main tourist attractions)...and if any websites can be recommended. i already decided that i don't want to wait in line at the TKTS booth for same day tickets, so would purchasing from ticketmaster or a similar site be a good idea?

thanks!

Take a taxi from LGA to Manhattan as it will be easiest and most convenient at that time of day.

I would use the TKTS booth, but not the Times Square location... use the one downtown which is not nearly as crowded.

See the various threads in the NYC TIPS area where locals and those who know the area have offered "local things to do" or "suggestions".

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]