Priceline Hotel: 3* New York City (Downtown - Financial District) Holiday Inn New York City - Wall Street

keko
By keko,
in

I've read a lot on the board (and used your links), but haven't ever registered. But keep up this really good site!

I've noticed that hotels in New York/Manhattan are really expensive. And for a 3/4 star hotel you can get good deals for like 100/130 dollars a night (in stead of the usual $200/300 prices)

I'm looking for a 2 star hotel, since I don't really care about 4-star hotels and like to save money for other things, but a hotel had to be clean and more or less in a area where I don't have to travel for an hour to get to the (inner) city.

I've been bidding up to 87 dollars in the manhatten area (except Harlem) and up to 67 in long island city (March 8-11) but unsuccesfull. Is there no real 2-star priceline market for New York? Since: If I raise my bids I'm almost at Pricline prices for 3-star hotels...

It's also a rarity that these hotel deals are being posted on better bidding (for Manhattan).

Welcome (officially) to BetterBidding!

I've read a lot on the board (and used your links), but haven't ever registered. But keep up this really good site!

We're glad to hear that you like the site and find it useful, but think about how much even better it could be with even more content... please begin to share your wins with the board so that others can benefit from the information, just as you have benefited from those who have posted before you. ;)

NYC is an expensive city and everything costs a bit more... not just for you but for the hotel too. A bellman, frontdesk clerk, housekeeping, maintenance, etc, etc. all cost more than hiring the same person in 'suburban anytown USA' (as well as cost more then most other US cities). As a result, hotels have a higher fixed cost per nite and no matter how low occupancy most hotels, even at the 2* level, can't sell rooms for under $75/nite (yes, there are exceptions, but you'll likely only find these at the most slowest of times)

If I raise my bids I'm almost at Pricline prices for 3-star hotels...

What 3* Manhattan hotels are you seeing for $100/nite for your dates? I gave a quick look and for a centrally located hotel i'm seeing rates start at $150+ for your dates.

We also don't see many sub-3star hotels reported to the board as once you get into the lower star ratings in NYC the quality becomes VERY erratic... you can get a good 2* diamond in the rough that works perfectly for your needs OR you can get something that spoils your trip and you wish you had spent a few extra dollars to be clean and comfortable.

I think you can get a very nice 3* or higher hotel for ~$100 (maybe even a 4* for $100-$110), and iven your rejections already for $87/nite at the 2* level, that is the route i would recommend taking assuming you can make it work for your budget. Saving $10/nite to stay in a 2* hotel vs. a 4* hotel may be a little cheaper in absolute dollars terms, but it's a much worse value, imo.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Last November, a relatively busy period, I was bidding up to $120 a night for Manhattan 3*'s. I had a cancellable reservation for a decent LIC hotel but was hoping to get something in Manhattan for the same price. I finally dropped to 2*'s a week or so out and got the Days Hotel in UWS for that price. It gets mixed reviews but I was happy with its cleanliness and service, and the location couldn't be beat. BUT, and I think it's a big BUT, I got lucky. Some of Priceline's 2*'s are illegal hotels, most notably the Marrakech, I could have gotten it and been stuck in a bad situation.

I think if I were you, I would either bid a bit higher for Manhattan 3*'s on Priceline, or go through more traditional channels for a LIC or Brooklyn hotel that you could probably get for close to your budget for your dates.

I go to NY frequently, and lots of folks on this forum have very unrealistic expectations of what they can get through PRICELINE. As thereuare noted, it's an expensive city.

Thanks for the replys.

Actually I would be fine with the Marakesh. I've red the comments on tripadvisor and they're not the best, but fine enough for me. I just want a place to sleep and take a shower and a little privacy (or else I would be staying in a dorm, which was always fine). I don't need breakfast/a tv/ space for luggage / or a great view. Of course all that would be nice. But I'm there for the city, not the hotel :)

Actually $87 was already more than I'm willing to pay. That's why I also tried LIC. I think I'll focus on that.

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

A property with this description has not yet been reported to the board, and it's certanily cheap, but with only 35% of previous HOTWIRE guests recommending the property, i'd suggest 'buyer beware'.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Congratulations on your success!

I think you did well and a nice deal for NYC... plus a name brand so there should be a certain level of quality/accountability.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]