Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Magnificent Mile North - Water Tower) Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago

Meagan G
By Meagan G,
in

I am a priceline newbie and I need some help on a bidding strategy for getting a 4* hotel near the magnificent mile area in Chicago for 5/16/13 - 5/19/13. I was hoping to be at $100 or less - is that reasonable? Also, when is the best time to start bidding with a date that far out?

I already put in a bid for $75 and was rejected. What should I do next?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by reading your messages and clicking each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links... then reply to this thread and we'll have a look at your post above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

May is not too far away as stays go, and it's traditionally a busier time in the city, with nicer weather, baseball, graduations and other events (such as the convention mentioned above.) Under $100 for a 4* is generally seen during the slow/er periods of the year (such as now.) Rates are unfortunately pretty high across this period - I think a 4* in the River North-NMA area area (if you want to be in the Mag Mile area; the Loop is likely going to be similarly expensive) is likely going to require as much as $150-160+ (HOTWIRE is showing 4*'s downtown for these dates between $177-228).

You can certainly try lower first, but unfortunately I don't think $100 or under is going to be realistic for this time period. 5/16-17 separately is somewhat cheaper, but then 5/17-19 is unfortunately still high.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Based upon the research i did earlier today i don't think you'll see much savings by bidding the Loop zone, but you could try the NMA zone up to your limit and then if rejected consider the Loop zone.

How high do you want to bid for the NMA zone before trying the Loop (or if the NMA zone is currently rejected would you just wait it out and try again later, not yet trying the Loop until you get closer to your trip?)

Did you want to try for a 4* first up to your limit OR given the higher then expected rates is the goal now the least expensive 3.5* or better? If trying for a 4* first, what is your maximum bid at that star level... what is your maximum bid at the 3.5* level?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm okay with a 3.5* at this point. I'd like to make my highest bid $175. I do prefer NMA. If I don't get a hotel in that area then I will re-evaluate if I would like to wait longer or start bidding for the loop area.

With that in mind...I see a 4* on HOTWIRE in the NMA area for $177 a night. If I don't get a hotel on PRICELINE for $175 or less I will probably book that hotel....

It's not clear from your post what you want to bid on first... because you prefer the NMA zone is that the only zone you want to bid OR does price prevail and the least expensive in either the NMA or Loop zones is your goal? Along the same lines, do you want to only bid 4* or the least expensive 3.5* or better is your goal?

Please clarify what you want to try for first and we'll advise accordingly.

I think that $175 may be enough for a 4* in the zone, but your preference is a less expensive 3.5*, correct? (if this not correct just post back and we'll revise accordingly)

If so, and with time on your side, i would bid as follows:

When bidding 3.5* in Chicago you have FOUR re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* NMA...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140

If rejected wait 24 hours and re-try, once again using the board link to access PRICELINE:

Select 3.5* NMA...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158

If rejected wait 24 hours and re-try, once again using the board link to access PRICELINE:

Select 3.5* NMA...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I'm seeing on HOTWIRE:

Possible Allerton or Westin Michigan Ave $176.

A listing that hasn't been ID'd, but may be the Club Quarters Wacker Drive or River Hotel $182.

Possible Felix - $190

OR:

The first night is cheaper - if you don't mind switching hotels, staying the first night at a different property may save as much as $30-40.

If you are driving, staying in the suburbs would be significantly (I'm seeing a 3.5* for $54 in a nice area) cheaper, but less convenient (a 40-45 minute train ride in each day.) The suburbs, however, are quite nice, with a few sights of interest, a wide variety of restaurants and some shopping.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Depending on season and day you will notice a wide variation of prices on 4* hotels in the North Michigan Ave area. The same room sold for $60 on one day will sell for $249 the other day. Why??? I believe that it comes down to demand and revenue stream. I theorize that the day that you place your bid two areas are looked at, the first being bookings and booking demand for the date(s)desired AND revenue stream for the week that you bid. I believe that if your bid is placed in a week where the hotels business is very slow, they will accept a more reasonable bid. Paying up front via Priceline offers great incentives for hotels to increase their weekly sales during slow periods. I have no proof of this but that is the way that my bids unfolded. So keep bidding, re-bid again and again.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, it was mentioned that one of the biggest conventions in Chicago will be taking place the dates I am in town. I am sure this is driving up prices as demand for rooms is much higher. I will probably keep bidding via the PRICELINE links on the site for the next week or so before I decide to give up and book elsewhere. I'm also watching HOTWIRE. Some good options were mentioned above. Specifically the $176 which I am contemplating. I also found an advance purchase rate directly through Hotel Felix for $177. I am debating if the possible Westin or Allerton I could get for $176 is better than Hotel Felix.

I am greatful for all the help I have received and will continue to keep everyone updated!

Congrats on your success. :)

Nice deal for this busy period and the better of the two possibilities. I wouldn't go for the Michigan Ave. view upgrade, but I'd try asking for a high floor.

Can you confirm if the amenities showing were:

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Wheelchair accessible

Accessible bathroom

Roll-in shower

This information can be found under the trip information in your HOTWIRE account (click "My Account" in the upper corner of HOTWIRE.)

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]