Hotwire Hotel: 3* Downtown Chicago - Millennium Park - Grant Park area hotel

sknupp
By sknupp,
in

I need help identifying a 3 star Downtown Chicago - Millennium Park - Grant Park area hotel for 10-12-13 through 10-14-13. Price is listing at $164.

Amenities:

3-star Hotel in Downtown Chicago - Millennium Park - Grant Park

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Fitness Center Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Restaurant(s) Property offers at least one restaurant on the premises; hours and days of operation may vary.

Laundry Facilities (self-service) <amenity names only please... not descriptions>

High-Speed Internet Access Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

Accessible for the deaf TTY for telephone, visual or flashing fire alarm and vibrating alarm clock

Accessible path of travel <amenity names only please... not descriptions> In-room accessibility

Accessible path from the room entrance to the window, the bed and the bathroom; accessible hardware and minimal resistance to open the door; accessible temperature controls and window coverings

Accessible bathroom Raised toilet, hand-held shower and grab bars at the tub and toilet Handicapped parking

<amenity names only please... not descriptions>

Welcome to Betterbidding.

This listing has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board, but given the 50% approval rating and 3/5 tripadvisor rating, my guess would be the Congress or Travelodge, This is the Marathon Weekend, so prices are high.

If this listing is either the Travelodge or Congress (which I strongly think it is), those two hotels are not too far from the Millennium Park area - which has at least traditionally been the starting area. However, they are very basic hotels that aren't particularly nice and I wouldn't recommend paying $165 for either.

Are you running in the marathon?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Yes, I'm running the marathon along with my wife. I'm not picky, she might be. What is bad about them? What would you recommend?

Both are properties that are considerably older - the Congress was around during the World's Fair, opening in 1893. Reviews for the Congress have improved a bit in recent months, but they're still mixed-to-negative. I'm not sure if workers at the Congress are still on strike, but they were on strike for at least nine years as of 2012 (http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=8702641), which - according to some - is the longest strike in US history. While this is a busy period and higher rates are to be expected, $165 would *feel* like a lot to pay for either.

I'm seeing a 3.5* in the Mag Mile North-Water Tower zone for $185 w/:

3.5-star Hotel in Magnificent Mile North - Water Tower

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

Tennis Nearby

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

...While more expensive, the hotel is 90% recommended and gets a 4/5 tripadvisor rating.

While you would have to be willing to stay at any of the 4*'s in either zone, I think you could likely get a 4* bidding on PRICELINE in either the River North-NMA zone or the Millennium Park-Grant Park-Loop zone for $150-$170, although you could try a bit lower before reaching those levels.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Sorry to hear that bidding was unsuccessful. While I continue to think that $155-175 is possible for a 4* in the River North-NMA zone, it unfortunately looks like a 4* in the Millennium Park-Loop-GP zone will take a higher bid (if $180 was not successful, I'd try higher by $5's until $200, and then stop if $200 is not successful.)

Last year's starting point was towards the top end of Grant Park, near Millennium Park.

If you bid on PRICELINE for a 4* in the Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park area, possibilities further away include the Blackstone Renaissance, Hilton, Allegro and W City Center. It's about a mile from the Hilton to about where the starting line is and a tad more (1.1/1.2) from the Blackstone Renaissance. Also about a mile from the W and Allegro. Those are the hotels in the zone that have been reported to the board that are the furthest away from the starting point. The other possible 4*'s in this zone are closer by varying degrees.

If you bid on PRICELINE for a 4* in the River North-NMA area, the Drake, Millennium Knickerbocker, Sutton Place and Public would be the furthest away of the possible hotels. The Drake and Knickerbocker would be about 1.4-5 mi away from the starting line. The Sutton Place would be 1.6mi. The Public (which has not yet been reported to the board as a win, so it's unknown whether it's participating on the bidding side of the service) is about 1.9mi away. If you were to get either the Public or Sutton, there is a subway station that can take you most of the way to the race 2-3 blocks from both of those hotels. Other 4* hotels in that zone would be varying degrees of closer to the race.

What would be the furthest acceptable distance from the starting line?

When looking this morning on HOTWIRE, I'm seeing:

A 3.5* Mag Mile N-WT for $185:

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Tennis Nearby

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

This listing hasn't been ID'd/reported to the board, but I'd guess it may be a downgraded Crowne Plaza Avenue.

4* Mag Mile N-WT for $193:

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

In-room accessibility

Wheelchair accessible

Accessible bathroom

Roll-in shower

This would be a possible match for the Allerton or Westin Michigan Ave.

4* Loop/Theater $228:

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

In-room accessibility

Wheelchair accessible

Accessible bathroom

Roll-in shower

This would be a possible match for the Hard Rock, which has been seen with this amenity set previously.

I also see what appears to be the Felix for $210 and the Silversmith for $200.

Let us know if you have any questions before buying/bidding.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]