AZ Phoenix Wyndham Buttes Resort Tempe

Steph58
By Steph58,
in

Had a 2-night stay here and, while the resort was certainly nice enough for a $50 PL rate, it's highly unlikely I'd seek it out again. The negatives, while somewhat minor, add up to outweigh the positives in my opinion. It's located on a mountain overlooking the I-10 freeway; the area prior to traveling up the mountain is kind of business-industrial (but looks fairly new so I'm sure the Buttes was there first). The Buttes is an easy drive to/from the PHX airport. The lobby, restaurants and conference rooms are at the top of the mountain; the rooms are at the bottom; pools are in between. Lots of paths and steps to get from your room to the pool, and then a bit of a hike uphill to get to the lobby/restaurants. In the 105 degree heat (90 degrees at 11 p.m.) we only went to the uppermost area once!

No complaints about the room in building 6 (overlooking the tennis courts & freeway and furthest from everything), it was large and decorated quite nicely, and a thermosat for the a/c. But the beds--I really could feel the springs and woke up with a sore back both days. Parking was fairly close to the entrance of our building and free, so I appreciated that. Called at 8 p.m. to request more towels & shampoo and I could tell by the tone of the operator's voice it was highly unlikely I'd receive these at that time. She was right, I gave up and called the next morning. There are two restaurants. We ate once at the "moderate" one and paid $50 for one entree, 2 dinner salads, an appetizer, 2 soft drinks. Food was okay but not great. Had the breakfast buffet which was $14.95 and the same as most business hotel-chains' breakfast buffets. Got burned on using the PC at the business center. Front desk told me it was $5 for 30 minutes, which I thought sounded pretty cheap. When I got there it was 50 cents/minute so I quickly checked my e-mail and was off in 6 minutes. Instead of $3 being charged to my credit card, it came to $9.50--according to the receipt that's the minimum usage charge.

The best aspect of this hotel is the pool area. Lots of families with kids enjoying the pools (plus a water slide) at the low summer rates. A few spas scattered among the rocks, which would be nice in cooler weather--didn't see one person using them even at night in August. Very nice swimming in the pools at 10 p.m. because it was like a bathub and perfect for wimps like me who don't like cold water.

As I said in the beginning, next time I'll pay more for a for a resort where: I can walk to the lobby & restaurant without a 10 minute uphill climb; have a comfortable bed; not have a view of the freeway; and have a better selection of eating establishments both within the resort and around it.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]