Priceline Upgraded Star Levels

SylvySoMD
By SylvySoMD,
in

So in Priceline's policy, it basically says that you are guaranteed the star level you pick, *or higher*. So if I were to request a 3 star hotel in a particular area, Priceline can automatically reserve and charge me for a 3.5 star hotel in the same area. In theory, I suppose this is okay, but what if I don't want one of the 3.5 star hotels?

Is there a way to guarantee I WON'T get upgraded star levels??

HOTWIRE may still be an option as you may be able to identify the hotel offered and determine if it's one that you want... or more importantly, can ensure that it's not one that you're trying to avoid. For example, if a 3.5* hotel that you're trying to avoid doesn't have a pool, you can 'safely' purchase any hotel that lists a Pool amenity.

Another option may be PRICELINE EXPRESS as you're buying a specific hotel where the star rating is shown.

What city, zone, dates, etc. are you searching for? What specific hotel is that you're trying to avoid being upgraded to?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, This happened to me last spring In Kansas City. I now do a 'bedbug report' whenever I am traveling to a major city.Priceline had a 4 star that had numerous reports of bedbugs in the preceding year on other websites, and i think their own. So i bid for a 3+ hotel star to avoid that hotel, and they gave me that hotel. I fought tooth and nail about it for about 3 hours and they finally relented and refunded my transaction. I believe I could have got my credit card co to reverse it too, on those circumstances. If they aren't clear that they can upgrade you or calling your attention to it, it may violate a lot of state consumer protection laws. It did for MA which would have helped. I do think they did it because of the bedbug issue though.

Up until then, I never knew they could or would upgrade like that. but i guess a 5 star with bedbugs has alot of empty rooms.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]