Priceline Hotel: Trouble getting matched in Kitchener, Ont.

dimebagg
By dimebagg,
in

I use Priceline regularly to bid for hotels in Kitchener, Ontario, as I stay there a couple of times during the week for work. I have been using Priceline successfully to get matched in Kitchener for the last 6 months, but lately I have not had any luck. I used to get matched to 3* for $37 - that used to be the magic number (back in winter/spring 2005). As the summer started, the prices definitely went up, as the best price that I was able to get for 3* was $61. This was the new magic number for 2 months. Now, that is not even enough for a match...I'm getting rejected at $62 and $63 for 3* on weekdays.

I'm really shocked at how the price has increased...

I also bid regularly for hotels in the Toronto area, and I don't have any trouble getting matched there for much less money. (I can get 4* hotels for the same price on weekends) It seems really bizzare to me that a place like Kitchener, Ontario (a much less desirable and less busy destination than Toronto) is more expensive and giving me trouble!

Any advice?

Also, has anybody noticed seasonal changes in acceptable bid prices. In other words do some destinations increase their bid threshold across the board and revert back to the old, lesser levels based on the season?

As well as less 'traffic' in Kitchner, there is also likely less hotel inventory... so it's not the sheer number of rooms or the number of visitors, but rather how the relationship between the two affects the supply/demand relationship.

There is definately season pricing that many hotels go thru.

What specific dates are you currently having trouble with?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I stay in Kitchener every Tuesday and Wednesday night, and I've been having trouble getting matched for approximately the last 6 weeks. As well, any bids for Sept that I've put in ($63 for 3*) have not gone through.

If this is just a seasonal price increase (i.e. summer rate) I hope that it ends soon! I am more concerned that this may be a new pricing scheme for this star rating in the Kitchener area - could that be another possibility?

HOTWIRE for Tues/Wed night (August 30 & 31) is showing the following -

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

3* = $82

2* = $54

1* = $58

...That's right the 1* is more than the 2*.

Now PriceLine and Hotwire don't always use same hotels and Hotwire is usually more generous with it's ratings (so your PL 3* may not be the same as the HW 3*), but there is capacity available.

Hope this helps.

FYI - a year ago, I was getting Ottawa DT 2.5* at $32 now they are in the $45-50 range...the falling US dollar is also effecting PL/HW rates.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]