Priceline Hotel: 3* Chicago (North Michigan Ave - River North) Hotel Indigo Gold Coast

slyde56
By slyde56,
in

Hi all,

Semi-long time lurker, but this is the first time I've bid for a place in a spot as big as Chicago. I wanted to check and make sure that I'm going about this in the right way and have identified the correct rebidding zones. Last night, I jotted down the following for rebid zones and made the indicated bids.

Date of stay:

3 nights, 1/17/13 to 1/20/13 in Chicago, IL

Zone info:

1. 1*, 2* (rebid zone for 3* and up)

2.. all but 4* (rebid zone for 4*)

3. 1*, 2* (rebid zone for 3* and up)

4. all but 4* (rebid zone for 4*)

5. all but 4* (rebid zone for 4*)

6. 1*, 2* (rebid zone for 3* and up)

7. all star levels

8. all star levels

9. all star levels

10. all star levels

11. 1* through 3* (rebid zone for 3.5* and up)

Bid:

4*, area 8, $50 -- Rejected

4*, area 7 and 8, $50 -- Rejected

4*, area 1, 7, 8, $55 -- Rejected

4*, 3.5*, area 1, 7, 8, $55 -- Rejected

4*, 3.5*, area 1, 3, 7, 8, $60 -- Rejected

As you can see, I'm trying to get a really good deal for the downtown Chicago area (zone 7 or 8) and since I'm a little ways off, I'm willing to be quite patient. I think I'd be comfortable going down to 3*--are there any 3* hotel "duds" in areas 7 or 8? What do you think my chances are for a sub-$60/night stay? Thanks for your help!

-Sean

EDIT: I have been using the BB PRICELINE link for my bidding so far and will continue to do so. Thanks again!

I'm a member, not a moderator, but thought I'd mention something to get you started right. Priceline changes those zones every once in a while. If they slip a new one in someplace in the list (or compress a couple into one), all the zones below that end up with different numbers.

So it works better to communicate with zone names. Lots of them are used so much they've gotten standard little 3-character abbreviations, but even reasonable self-developed abbreviations are more reliable than the numbers.

Your logic was correct in identifying the rebid zones, and I did it by the numbers since they probably didn't change in the last hour.

However, you will see from the moderator bidding patterns supplied that you can use more of the 4* free re-bid zones, before dropping to the 3.5* level. The trick is to close your browser when you are done with the 4*s. Then link back from betterbidding and everything will be unchecked, including those ones you can't now use at the 3.5* level.

I can't speak for the quality of the 3*s, but AaronJB is really an expert on Chicago. Until you hear from him, if you'd like you can see the list of hotels other members have reported here (first post in this Illinois - Priceline area). Then you can go to the Hotel Reviews at the very end of this site and/or tripadvisor. I like the reviews here because they also can reflect the fact people got the hotels at bargain prices. However, there are lots more reviews on tripadvisor.

Do take those reviews with the proverbial grain of salt. And consider that things that bother some people won't bother you, and vice versa. I've read people getting quite incensed about European hotels not having washcloths, when that is pretty much the way it is in Europe. Firm beds vs soft beds - preferences vary.

Romelle

PS - if you happen to have successfully bid on some of those places smaller than Chicago, maybe you could still report them here? Data points for the smaller places are much rarer and truly appreciated by the next individual looking to bid there.

Zone info:

1. Franklin Park Area: 1*, 2* (rebid zone for 3* and up)

2. Greater Chicago: all but 4* (rebid zone for 4*)

3. Hyde Park: 1*, 2* (rebid zone for 3* and up)

4. Lincloln Park: all but 4* (rebid zone for 4*)

5. Midway Airport Area: all but 4* (rebid zone for 4*)

6. Midway Airport North: 1*, 2* (rebid zone for 3* and up)

7. Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area: all star levels

8. North Michigan Ave - River North Area: all star levels

9. O'Hare Airport (ORD) North: all star levels

10. O'Hare Airport (ORD) South: all star levels

11. Skokie - Niles - Evanston: 1* through 3* (rebid zone for 3.5* and up)

Recording current area names for posterity. Thanks for the tips on rebid zones, Romelle. For me, I didn't want to go much higher than $60 for my first round of bidding, so I kind of jumped around the star levels before increasing too much more than that.

Rates are not that high for your dates and i think you can likely get a well located hotel for a reasonable price for these dates for just a little more than you have already bid, but how you proceed will come down to your needs/goals for this stay...

For some reference, i think a decent 4* hotel can likely be had in the $70-$85 area.

Are you willing to pay more for a higher rated hotel (more for a 4* vs. a 3.5* vs. a 3*) OR is your goal the least expensive 3* or better for this trip? Which 'downtown' zones are acceptable... is NMA-River North the only acceptable zone OR is Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park also acceptable? (the former has a bit more 'action' with restaurants, bars, shopping, etc)... the latter is a bit more business oriented and can get quiet at nite but does have the aquarium, museums, etc.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for framing your question much better than I was able to above: yes, my goal is the least expensive 3* or better for this trip. Both downtown zones (NMA-River North and Millenium Park-Loop-Grant Park) are acceptable, as we will be heading to the weekly taping of Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me at the Chase Bank Auditorium and an aquarium will be in there too.

We are also planning on driving, and I'm hoping to minimize the cost of parking. Does that sound good? We will not need our car during our stay. Thanks for your help!

-Sean

One relatively minor issue becomes some of the properties on the West side of each zone. In the Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park zone, that includes the W City (4*), La Quinta (3*) and Allegro (4*), as well as the 3* Holiday Inn Mart Plaza in the River North-NMA area, although at least with all of these properties, they're right near CTA "L" stops. The West side of the Loop can also be very quiet at night, which may be an issue if you plan to be out later in the evenings.

Opinions on hotels are going to vary by taste (a hotel may not be everyone's cup-of-tea in terms of style) or experience (less-than-optimal particular room, etc.) There are a few properties that I think are "lesser" (the 4* Allerton and Felix in the River North-NMA area, for example.) Additionally, I'd recommend staying at the 4* level in the Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park area, but there are some very nice 3* and 3.5* properties in the RN-NMA zone on PRICELINE.

I think $50-60 will be a bit short at the 4* level, but will likely be enough at the 3.5* and especially 3* level. I wouldn't recommend driving if possible, but if you are driving, definitely no need for the car during your time in the city.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Got it! :D

I just called them and requested a king size bed, and they seemed to be perfectly okay with that. ^_^

I plan to book a spot for those three days at the 1250 N Dearborn lot (rate is $72, seems like), which should be better than paying $39/night at the Indigo!

Bid history (area info below bids):

Bids: (1/2/13, 9pm)

4*, area 8, $50 -- Rejected

4*, area 7 and 8, $50 -- Rejected

4*, area 1, 7, 8, $55 -- Rejected

4*, 3.5*, area 1, 7, 8, $55 -- Rejected

4*, 3.5*, area 1, 3, 7, 8, $60 -- Rejected

Bids: (1/3/13, 10pm)

4*, area 8, $45 -- Rejected

4*, area 1, 8, $50 -- Rejected

4*, area 1, 3, 8, $55 -- Rejected

4*, area 1, 3, 4, 8, $60 -- Rejected

4*, area 7, $45 -- Rejected

4*, area 1, 7, $50 -- Rejected

4*, area 1, 3, 7, $55 -- Rejected

4*, area 1, 3, 4, 7, $60 -- Rejected

3.5*, area 8, $45 -- Rejected

3.5*, area 1, 8, $50 -- Rejected

3.5*, area 1, 3, 8, $55 -- Rejected

3.5*, area 1, 3, 6, 8, $60 -- Rejected

3*, area 8, $45 -- Try again right now

3*, area 1, 8, $50 -- Hotel Indigo Gold Coast!

Offer Price, avg. per room, per night: $50.00

Rooms: 1

Nights: 3

Room Subtotal: $150.00

Taxes & Fees: $32.49

Total Charged to Card: $182.49

Current (as of 1/3/12) area info:

1. Franklin Park Area: 1*, 2* (rebid zone for 3* and up)

2. Greater Chicago: all but 4* (rebid zone for 4*)

3. Hyde Park: 1*, 2* (rebid zone for 3* and up)

4. Lincloln Park: all but 4* (rebid zone for 4*)

5. Midway Airport Area: all but 4* (rebid zone for 4*)

6. Midway Airport North: 1*, 2* (rebid zone for 3* and up)

7. Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area: all star levels

8. North Michigan Ave - River North Area: all star levels

9. O'Hare Airport (ORD) North: all star levels

10. O'Hare Airport (ORD) South: all star levels

11. Skokie - Niles - Evanston: 1* through 3* (rebid zone for 3.5* and up)

Congratulations on your success!

Nice to see you scored a great deal at this well reviewed property and that you're pleased with the results. Good to hear that the hotel was receptive to your room type request.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Fantastic rate for a very nice property. This is in the Gold Coast neighborhood, which is a very nice area just a few minutes walk of the top end of the NMA shopping area. There's quite a few restaurant options and it's a bit more of a neighborhood feel. Additionally, this isn't a terribly far walk from Old Town (Second City) or Lincoln Park Zoo.

There isn't too many parking garages RIGHT there, but if you were able to get a spot in a garage a bit further South (maybe around Chicago and State), not a terrible walk. Additionally the Indigo is around the corner from a Red Line subway stop.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]