Priceline Hotel: Oracle Open World Convention, San Francisco

IBDP
By IBDP,
in

I could certainly use some help with a strategy for even getting a 4* hotel during this time in San Francisco for a reasonable price. Seems it is the time of the huge Oracle Open World Convention-I am going there to celebrate my son's 21st birthday. Are there any special strategies to use when there is a convention of 30,000 people approximately :)

Regards,

Donna

I posted this previously and had NO responses; it must have looked very boring (only 16 views). So I am back with a different Topic Title in hopes that someone will find this more interesting and offer some help. I will be in San Francisco during this huge convention, just by coincidence. Could use a strategy for acquiring a 4* hotel Sept. 21-24, 2005. The convention dates, I believe, are Sept. 17-22. I am thinking a good strategy may be to wait until the last day for attrendees to cancel their hotel reservations, then "come in for the kill", so to speak. After much research, I find that trying to acquire anything at a decent price or even semi-decent price at this time is a futile effort.

Anybody? :)

I think the earlier post was just overlooked in error, most likely.

What area of the city do you want to be in? What do you consider a decent or semi-decent price?

Do you have any flexibility on location or dates? And do you currently have a cancellable reservation?

I think the only problem you have here is with the first night of your stay, availablilty (checking Hotwire) seems to be there for the 22nd & 23rd. After you decide on what area you would like to bid for, the experts here can provide you with a bidding strategy. As Scorp said, it's probably best to first get a cancellable reservation for the entire stay. If you are successful with a Priceline bid for the second and third nights, you may be able to add the first night to the stay (rooms may open up closer to the date) If not you would still have one night from your cancellable reservation (which you can change to just one night - 21st) I know you probably don't want to change hotels, but this would give you a 4* for two nights. Better yet, if you could move back your arrival to the 22nd (and departure to the 25th) that may work out evevn better. If you are flying and already have tickets, this wouldn't work so well unless you can change your ticket without a big penalty. Good Luck!

Also during your dates conflict with the annual San Francisco Love Parade on September 24th.

They are expecting 100,000 people at the event which goes down Market at ends at the Civic Center. 70,000 are expected to be from in and around the Bay Area but many of those who don't live downtown are expected to get hotel rooms that weekend too. There are also small events leading up to the parade starting on the 22nd.

I've been bidding on priceline for a month now up to $95 for a 4* or Boutique and haven't had any luck. Last week I made a back-up reservation so I know I have a room for sure but I'm still trying Priceline every 72 hours....

Find a hotel now and make a reservation so you have a back-up just in case rooms sell out and keep bidding. (Last year I was able to score a 4* for $69 2 weeks before)

Good luck!

Once again, thanks for all of the information. The ideal areas would be USE, USW, and possibly nob Hill and Embarcadero. I thought about the two nigh (Sept 22 and 23) for a bid, but it seems there is nothing for the 21st.

Scorp, I have no flexibility on dates; as you see, there are a few appropriate areas. I would consider a decent 4* price maximum $100.00 night.

AJSIC: thank you for your tips on the Love Parade. My reason for being in San Francisco at that time is to celebrate my son's 21st birthday, but the love parade may make a great addition. For some silly reason, I think the attendees of the love parade will be searching the basic hotels, as compared with Oracle attendees, who have rooms blocked in all the 4* hotels. Any more thoughts on this? Thank you all for your input.

Yes, I think the majority of the Love Parade crowd will be looking for budget hotels since the expected majority is college age and from around Bay Area.

The other 30,000 are traveling from another state or country are usually late 20's and 30's...even 40's with more room in the pocket book. Plus a lot of the talent hired for the parade require 4* hotels by contract and there is a lot of talent in the parade.

I wouldn't be surprised if a percentage from the Oracle convention stays for the Love Parade....I know my friend is. Oracle has room blocks at several 2,3 & 4 star hotels all over the city. The only blocks with availibility are at 4* like Marriott and Hyatt. Maybe some of those 4* blocks will be released soon?

I'm still trying my bids ever 72 hours, I'll post if I get anything on Priceline.

If you want more details on the parade visit www.loveparadesf.org. It's a celebration all the different genres and sub-genres of electronic dance music that Saturday. Even if he's not into the music, people watching is quiet exciting and there will be a lot of people his age.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the love parade info, ajslc. I have been doing the 72 hour bidding three times thus far for 9/21 to 9/24 in Embarcadero, USE with no luck at all. Most recently, used every free rebid and bid up to $200.00; rejected. My feeling at this point is that there is no inventory, but I will continue to rebid every 72 hours. Guess I had better find a back-up hotel. Has anyone had any luck with these dates?

Finally, after being rejected up to $21000 for Sept. 21, 22, & 23, I decided it would be prudent to change my bid to the 22 & 23rd. I bid $75.00 for a 4* in USE area-rejected. I raised my bid to $95.00 in the spirit of saving time; my bid was accepted for the 4* Marriott downtown. 2 nights at $95.00 per night plus 36.22 in taxes and fees = $226.22. I realized that at this time, there is virtually no inventory of 4* hotels in San Francisco for the 21st. I reserved a room at the Nob Hill Motor Inn for that night at $124.00 for a king bed with continental breakfast and FREE PARKING. This motor inn has received rave reviews on tripadvisor as well as on other sights. I will try to acquire the 21st at the Marriott once again before my 72 hour cancellation time period at the Nob Hill Inn expires.

Regards,

Donna

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]