CA Orange County Hyatt Regency Disneyland

cabogirl
By cabogirl,
in

I stayed here last November on a Priceline win. Very nice hotel. If you are a Hyatt passport member you can ask to be upgraded to either a king suite or family suite for usually about $20.00 more a night if available. If you're traveling with children, I highly recommend. Separated rooms with bunk beds & tv for the kids. Parking here was about $18 a night I think. If not a member, you can sign up at Hyatt.com.

• 1 month later...

just a quick comment on the location of this hotel.

it is NOT within reasonable walking distance of Disneyland.

i mean, some people would walk it (like me, who regularly walks miles getting around Manhattan all the time).... the 30 minute walk is certainly good exercise...

but i think most people wouldn't want to walk. Harbor Blvd is only slightly less dumpy than 2 years ago (i was last there in 2001). and wouldn't you rather be spending your time waiting in line for California Screamin'? :)

so, just a heads up on the location. plan on taking the shuttle (which currently stops at 4 other hotels and takes forever to pick up/drop off all the passengers, but you still get to/from Disneyland faster than walking.)

I enjoyed my stay at the Hyatt, it was just incredible for the $27 a night I paid. I had a room in the south tower, 5th floor with an atrium view. I've heard a lot of horror stories about the south tower but it seems I got a renovated floor as everything looked new. Room itself was great, though bathroom was a bit small for my tastes. Service was great, everyone made me feel welcomed at all times.

Ordered room service one night, food was amazingly good. Of course, overpriced, but that's to be expected of any hotel dining.

Definitely too far to walk to disneyland, even for someone who is in decent physical condition probably wouldn't want to do it as it's at least 1.5 miles one way though probably more like 2 miles through non-scenic areas. Considering you'll be on your feet all day at the park it's not something I would recommend. They do have a shuttle that runs every half hour.

Self-Parking came in at $12 a night with in-out privs. Lot is just off the rear entrance and secured 24 hours. Only thing I was peeved about is how the lot would fill up at night during conventions held by the hotel. In these cases I had to park waaaay in the back. Hotel guests should have priority parking for the money they are spending to park there each night, as in the morning the front of the lot becomes totally empty.

• 6 months later...

Just came back from a 4 night stay at the Hyatt Regency Orange (Garden Grove). Now I can report first hand on the North/South Tower comparisons as I spent 2 nights in each.

Perhaps coming on one of the busiest weekends (Easter Break) was the reason I was unable to swing a North Tower room. I really did try! Apparently, they were fully booked and almost all the North Tower rooms are Suites (one standard room per floor).

I was sadly assigned a South Tower room which was disgusting (think shabby hotel room, dingy, dark, dirty). After complaining about my room conditions (and my EXTREME disappointment) they found me a 'business' room on a higher floor. This looked exactly the same to me, but apparently it 'was bigger'. Patched carpet, cheerios and peanuts on the floor near the beds were what greeted us in this 'better' room. I can't even imagine that this room was stylish and nice 'once upon a time'.

Anyhow, we had 2 double beds on a non-smoking floor so the 3 of us at least didn't have to share a bed. This was the first time sleeping in a double bed with my husband and hopefully the last (in a double that is!) -- I though that in North America most hotel rooms had 2 queens or 1 king? The room always SMELLED fresh, in that there is a strong deodorizer smell constantly. It is very noticable, even if you've been in the room all night.

I don't even think the Hyatt (Portico) toilettries are even all that special, but I did notice they cheaped out and did not replace these the second day -- they merely relocated remaining products from the shower to the counter. This is the first time I've come across this. Do they really think 3 people can use the remaining product in those little tubes without rationing them?

We were told the first day we could have upgraded for $50 a night. If I was planning to double the cost of my hotwire bid, I would have booked directly with the hotel of my choice. Another person I asked (on day 2) said it would be $40 a night for an upgrade -- which made me wonder if they really have a set price or not. I have heard a whole range of prices, but expected a cheaper nightly upgrade as people who are Hyatt Gold Members have reported getting upgrades for as low as $15. My husband politely complained about the cleanliness of the room (even though we didn't ask to move yet again) and when we came back from the parks there was a fruit & cheese plate waiting from the front desk manager. That reflected some good points about the service, but if they were really concerned about keeping me as a customer I feel they would have moved us to the North Tower (even if it was a Suite). I know this sounds ungrateful, but being a Hyatt Gold Member, I've booked directly with them for some of their premium properties -- I've also spent an obscene amount of money on a wedding at the Hyatt. I think my loyalty was worth keeping, and better room quality would have done it -- not cheese and fruit. On the upside, the soft cheese and dried cranberries where delightful. :)

We were told there were many people checking out on the Sunday night and they would try to get us a North Tower room at that time. And they did come through. The North Tower room was wonderful, very contemporary, clean and had a nice (though basic) bathroom with granite counters. It had a King bed and we were able to get a cot for our daughter at no additional charge.

I would stay here again if there was absolutely no possibility of a South Tower room. Even furniture in the lobby was worn through and not up to what I percieve to be the Hyatt standard. I guess there are a wide range of properties under the Hyatt umbrella and I should be cautious of which ones I book at.

Parking was $12 a day, but there was a free shuttle to the parks (which I believe balanced out my costs). The shuttle could be incredibly crowded (especially on the way back) but seemed more convenient that parking at Disneyland (which we did for one day). I didn't eat at the restaurants in the Hyatt as there were strip-malls across the street with some very good eating options. The pool near the North Tower was very small and the one near the South Tower was better but just functional. No exciting water-play areas or cabana bars so I didn't spend much time by the pool.

I'm glad I ended my trip in the North Tower Room, but now when I think of Hyatt I will be more likely to associate it with the dirty South-Tower room than my favourite -- the Seattle Hyatt Grand.

The trip was great, I had fun and 2 nights at a nice hotel. We just wont mention the other 2 nights again, okay?!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The hotel is undergoing remodeling in the south tower. floors 3, 15, 16, 17 are shut down. I stayed on the 9th floor-south tower a couple of days ago.

Nothing great about it, yes the carpets are dirty, but we felt comfortable sleeping there. It's worth the PL price you usually see, and the Disney shuttle is convenient and easy. Ultimately its ok, just needs a facelift inside the rooms.

We parked on Chapman and a side street just off of that to avoid the $12/day charge. What a rip-off! Street cleaning is every Thursday 5-9am, so that's when to look at the side streets.

• 2 years later...

I would ignore most of what has been said about this Hyatt Regency, since all the previous reviews are at least 2 years old. I stayed in a South Tower room this May 2006, and it was perfectly fine. Completely renovated, and nicely done. The bath is a bit cramped, but has nice granite floors and countertop. The room with 2 Queens isn't particularly spacious, but we did manage to squeeze in an extra adult on the floor between the two beds, with a foam pad we brought along. The others could use the space on the other sides of the beds for pathways....

The bellmen wouldn't let us use their gold carts for luggage transfer. I usually like to carry my own luggage. Just park on the opposite side of the lane in front of the hotel if you want to do this. The front curb is reserved for valet and bell purposes. PS: Access the hotel from southbound Harbor drive (this is North of Chapman). If you're coming from the south, go up one light north of Chapman and do a U turn.

Many of the hotels (like the Crowne Plaza, for ex.) in this South Disney area charge some sort of extra fee or surcharge -- they just call it different names (resort fee, parking, or shuttle fee). But remember - the Hyatt Regency provides their own shuttle, and it only stops at one other hotel, then goes straight to Disney. The red Anaheim trolleys that most hotels use are a pain in the neck -- they are often late, crowded, etc. Just remember, for ALL the transportation services, to plan on exiting the park BEFORE closing -- otherwise you may have to wait for the shuttle to come back for the next group... The Hyatt has a large A/C tour bus that probably holds about 40. It is much more comfortable than the trolleys... There are VERY few hotels left that have their own shuttle - the only other one I can think of is the Candy Cane. Then there are a few that are far away, in Buena Park & La Mirada.

The South pool's jacuzzi was very crowded when we were there, so we went to the North Pool, which is landscaped much nicer (tropical). But to do this you have to traipse through the formal lobby, which is also the center of activity, with access to ballrooms (and weddings), and a variety of stores and restaurants (Starbucks, etc.). So bring robes & flip flops, and even then you'll feel funny (we walked right by a wedding party!) Access to the North pool is through a door to the right of the Starbucks.

Front desk people were very gracious, though I did hear someone down the way complaining that they would never stay there again....I'm not sure what their problem was....

• 4 months later...

For a 3* property, this is a really nice hotel. I can't tell you about any of the amenities of the general area and hotel, as this stay for us was a sleep-and-go proposition, but the hotel left a very good impression on us.

We came into the property via a Priceline bid of $53. A couple of days prior to our arrival, I emailed Hyatt through their dedicated Priceline help address asking for a non-smoking king room. We weren't able to check in until about 10:30 pm on a Wednesday, and the desk clerk noted our request. She apologized that she could not grant us a conventional king room, as they were all assigned. However, she did upgrade us to a conference suite. When we walked into the room, we were greeted by a 10 foot long conference table and chairs, a wet bar setup, and a living room suite. The king bed seemed to be dwarfed by the surroundings.

The room was very clean, the bed was very comfortable, and the service was great. This may not be an ideal choice if Disneyland is your ultimate destination, but as a rest stop, not a problem.

Proud to be Canadian!

• 1 year later...

Dates of stay: 1/2/09 - 1/4/09

# of nights: 2

# of occupants: 2 adults

Price paid: $65/night

This was my first time staying at this hotel and I had read previous reviews about the dreaded "south tower" rooms so I was really hoping for a north tower room. We called the hotel while driving down to Anaheim to let them know we would be late getting in (8pm). We arrived at 7:30pm and were greated by a very friendly front desk employee named Meghann. We gave her our information and she checked us in and told us that we were being upgraded to a kids suite (1 King, bunk beds and extra TV in separate room). I knew from reading previous reviews that this meant we would be in the north tower. Yay! We didn't even ask, she just told us. Room also had a mini-fridge and coffee maker.

We stayed on the 7th floor, at the very end of the hallway with a view overlooking the front driveway to the hotel. The room was very clean and comfortable. There was minimal wear and tear showing on the furniture but the bed was very comfortable. Noise level was fine and I only heard other guests when they were entering or leaving the room right next to ours. We didn't utilize the free Disneyland park shuttle since we have annual passes with parking so we drove. Parking at the hotel was $15/night, but I knew that ahead of time and wasn't surprised. I do believe that most of the nicer hotels in the Disneyland area charge for parking.

Upon check-in they did place a $55 hold charge on my credit card for any "incidentals" we might incur during our stay. We didn't and the charge was removed within 24 hours after we left and we were only charged the $30 parking for the two days.

I would definitely stay here again and I highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• 7 months later...

Stayed here 8/13/09-8/17/09 won on priceline for $41.00 a night. Was aware of $15.00 a day parking fee. Can't complain too much for price I paid. Going rate at the time was $129.00 through Hyatt's website so I had a huge savings. I had a south tower room. They are in a process of a $25 million renovation. I never heard any construction noise so maybe they started the renovation in the north tower?? So yes the rooms do show quite a bit of wear and tear, so keep that in mind and don't go in expecting 3.5 star luxury and you won't be disappointed. To me it's only worth 3 stars until they complete renovation. Beds were pretty comfortable and so were the pillows. Water pressure in shower was strong and good also. Overall it was a good experience. I did have initial problems with my room key. It would not read it. The manager came up and let us in and gave us another set of keys. I tried it a bit later and should've known, they still didn't work. Came down to the front desk and told them of the problems and they gave us brand new keys and sent up maintinence to check out the key lock. He said the front desk needs to give out brand new key cards everytime, instead of re-using them over and over and they won't read. So make sure you get new cards, not used ones. Starbucks was very conveinent in lobby every morning. Never had a parking issue with the lot being full, but then it's not shared with any other hotel. Didn't use any other amentities so can't comment on them. Staff is very helpful and friendly.

• 2 months later...

We have just finished our stay and could not find many faults with this place, we were very happy with pretty much everything.

Upon checking in we were offered an upgrade to one of their recently refurbished suites or family suites for an extra $40 per night, we decided not to as the amount of time we were planning to spend in our room was minimal.

The room was very clean, and had good blockout blinds (great for a sleepin after 24 hours of travel), the bathroom was also very clean (not much ventilation though, did steam up alot after a shower).

The beds were extremely comfortable and the bedlinen seemed to be of good quality.

The only thing I was a little miffed with was that housekeeping didn't move all our rubbish, we sometimes came back to empty drink/food containers in our room, we just put them in the bin in the hallway.

There is a free shuttle to Disneyland every half an hour, they have a little giftshop just off the lobby, a Pizzahut Express and a Starbucks, the prices did not seem to be jacked up too much just because the hotel has a higher star rating.

The staff were extremely helpful with any questions we had, and didn't seem to treat us like cheapskates just because we used Hotwire to book LOL

They did have a fee for using the car park which was $15 per night (inc tax) and internet access has a daily fee of $10

I would totally recommend this hotel to stay in, very clean and comfortable :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]