Hotwire Hotel: 4* New Orleans (French Quarter) Sheraton

Spburr01
By Spburr01,
in

Hello! I have never gotten a hotel through PRICELINE or HOTWIRE before, so I don't really know what I am doing. Any help is appreciated.

I need a hotel in New Orleans, 3 star or higher, in walking distance to the Superdome/Bourbon Street for Dec 31-Jan 3. I would like to pay $115 or less per night, but realize this may be unrealistic. Like I said before, any advice or help is appreciated!! Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I'm guessing that your budget will not likely be realistic, given New Years Eve, as well as i'm assuming there is a college football bowl game taking place at the SuperDome during this stay as well.

However, we can at least start, give it a try, and take it from there....

First, if you haven't done so yet, please read your messages.

Second, if you enter 'New Orleans, LA' and your dates into the PRICELINE search box on the top of the page and then GO, you'll see how PRICELINE splits this area up into various zones. If you zoom in on the map, are you willing to accept a hotel anywhere within the shaded boundaries of the French Quarter and/or Downtown zones? What about the 'Convention Center and Warehouse-Arts District' zone?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know the above regarding the zones and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm a member, not a moderator, but just to get you started I'd suggest taking a really close look at the New Orleans Priceline zone maps. You can link to PRICELINE from the upper right hand corner on this page or you can just click any of the underlined "Priceline"s.

People's definitions of walking distance can vary quite a bit. If you zoom in on those zone maps you can find the Superbowl dome off to the left of the Downtown zone and Bourbon street running through the French Quarter.

When bidding Priceline, you have to be prepared to accept a hotel anywhere within the bid zones. With that in mind, and your "walking distance", which zones do you find acceptable?

Romelle

Ok so I did some research and I think I want to start in the downtown region. My friend got a 4 star hotel downtown for the same dates for $200 from bidding on Priceline. I think I would be ok going down to a 2.5 star (broke college student). Where do y'all think I should start bidding? Thanks again for all of your help!

My friend got a 4 star hotel downtown for the same dates for $200 from bidding on Priceline.

Please make sure s/he knows about BetterBidding and please ask them to post their win to the board so that others can benefit from this information.

Did you first want to try for a 3* up to your limit or is the least expensive 2.5* now the goal?

Also, i would be including as many zones that are acceptable (Downtown and French Quarter at least, assuming both are acceptable, you can try the Warehouse zone should the previous zones fail) as the more zones you include the more hotels you give the opportunity to accept your bid price... and given the high demand for these dates i think your budget is likely going to be a bit difficult based upon current prices i'm seeing.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, its been a long time, but I certainly have experienced the broke college student phase. You might have to get more creative with this visit, and a lot will depend on what you personally find workable.

If you look at HOTWIRE you can see some of the less expensive areas. You might break your stay up into staying partially in a really expensive area and partially in a less expensive one. I don't know public transportation in New Orleans, but I'm sure you could research it out or find somebody to tell you more about it.

You'll see that the airport hotels are surprisingly reasonable. I've used them in other cities. The drill is to find one with an "airport shuttle". Then each day you get the hotel to shuttle you to the airport and from there take public transport (bus/train/metro/??) to downtown. Larger cities simply tend to have some reasonable ways of getting from the central area to and from the airport. Some are only a $1 bus ticket, and some are more, but there almost always is some reasonably economic way to do it. And the hotels around the airport have pretty much learned they need to provide shuttle service to the airport to stay competitive. But if you are liking this approach, do check it out carefully. I can't speak for New Orleans.

While the boundaries are different between HOTWIRE and PRICELINE, the price pattern is roughly similar with PRICELINE maybe being a little less expensive.

There are some other less expensive areas, but for those you'll have to investigate the safety as well as the public transport.

If you happen to be flying there, and your last day is mostly just getting to the airport and taking an early flight out, an airport hotel might serve well for that. With that night in the $60-$70 range, a more expensive one for the other nights might still average within your budget.

And finally, when comparing Priceline and Hotwire deals, Hotwire can be more generous with stars than PRICELINE. Maybe a half star. It varies. But a 2 1/2* on Hotwire might be a 2* on Priceline. On the other hand, with HOTWIRE you can select for very specific amenities.

Romelle

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you got these tough nites settled and that you're pleased with the results.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board. Can you please add a reply to this thread with the amenities shown before your purchase... you can still view this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]