Putting more than 2 in a priceline room

countchocula
By countchocula,
in

Hi there,

I have a priceline room in which I'm hoping to fit my entire family of 4. I read the FAQ about double occupancy, and I've already called and made sure we have two beds in our room. I asked about getting a rollaway, and they said it might be possible albeit cramped. So, they don't seem fazed about putting more than 2 in there.

I'm wondering about the rules surrounding this. Is the priceline reservation legally for 2 people only? Should I be a bit surreptitious with the kids, and not have them march up to the front desk with us when checking in? Sounds like it's mostly up to the hotel's discretion, eh? That is, they could refuse to allow 4 in the room if they wanted to?

Finally, how often do you hear stories of hotels actually being proactive in refusing more than double occupancy for priceline rooms?

Thanks a bunch! :-)

...shouldn't matter, anyway.

It matters in the sense that it's not as much of an issue in an area such as Orlando which is used to accommodating families and most hotels have a high percentage of rooms which can accommodate quad occupancy... whereas a place such as NYC has a high percentage of rooms with only one bed, little or no room for a rollaway, standard rooms are often only designated (per fire code) for double occupancy, and more than double occupancy often comes at an additional fee.

Also a factor is the age of your children... easier to do when your kids are 3 and years old and 5 years old vs. when they're 16 years old and 18 years old.

By contract the hotel needs to supply a room that can accommodate double occupancy, after that it's at their discretion. You can call the hotel (as you did) and request a room with two beds, but the hotel may not be able, or willing, to accommodate your request. If they are able/willing, there could be an extra fee involved. Most hotels will do what they can to accommodate your needs/request, but sometimes during busy nites it may not be possible.

For additional information see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

gotcha. So, aside from their willingness/ability to accommodate more beds in a room, if we just cram 4 people in a room (assuming it's not against fire codes, etc), will hotels ever actually stop you from doing that? Like, will they ever stop the 4 of you from walking across the lobby towards the elevator? Have you ever heard of that?

I don't know of anyone never being able to walk across the lobby, since of course you could be with friends from the area who are just spending time with you at the hotel. More specifically to the situation at hand, have there ever been issues checking-in when the hotel knew it was 4 people vs. the 2 people booked... "yes". However, this is more the exception then the rule, and the issue is usually resolved with an additional upgrade charge vs. a flat-out denial of service.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We regularly put SIX in priceline rooms. We walk in to the property in two groups on our arrival, but after check in, we always walk in and out together since large groups regularly have multiple or adjoining rooms. There are rare times when it is an issue due to room size, but I usually use the hotel lists here to see what I might expect for hotels.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]