Priceline Hotel: SFO USE

Pearly
By Pearly,
in

Has anyone ever bid for a 4 star hotel in San Francisco area of USE and gotten a bad hotel. By bad I mean not a good location or a room that was not satisfactory?

I have never used Priceline and am quite nervous. Would appreciate any tips. I would like to end up at the Hyatt Regency and would love any advice.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Perfect opportunity to use our San Francisco Maps feature. :)

You can not guarantee the Hyatt Regency... you can receive any 4* hotel (as deemed by Priceline) in the shaded area which makes up the USE zone (which really isn't that big).

If you'd like to move forward please supply the actual dates of your stay and we'll suggest a bidding strategy to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would like to have your help/strategy in my first bidding experience. I would like a 4* hotel in the USE area for the dates of Sept. 29-Oct 4. One other point, I do want two rooms as we will be with another couple.

Does Priceline charge something in addition to the rate you get?

Priceline charges a booking fee (which is mixed in with the tax figure they show you) but it amounts to approximately $5/nite per room... the total amount charged to your card will be shown to you before your bid.

When bidding 4* in San Francisco you have four re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read RE-BIDDING EXPLAINED and feel free to ask any questions that you may have and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board. If you're overwhelmed at first don't be alarmed as we'll walk you thru anything you dont' understand step-by-step.

Once you have re-bidding understood:

Select 4* USE...

Bid $68, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $77, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80.

Any questions feel free to ask. Don't forget to select two rooms from the dropdown menu and bid both rooms at the same time... this way if accepted you'll be sure to be at the same hotel.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Re-bid zones change as new hotels are added/removed/upgraded/downgraded, so it is best to know yourself how to check your re-bid zones, as it should be done before every bidding cycle. From RE-BIDDING EXPLAINED:

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a Priceline page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process. It is important to do this before EACH attempt at adding a zone that you really don't want, as new hotels can be added and the star ratings can change at any time.

Yes, you now need to wait 72 hours before you can bid again.

Bump this thread a few hours before you are able to bid again and we will re-evaluate current prices at that time.

What is the most you would be willing to bid?

I would hope to get it for less than $100

Select 4* USE...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95.

I do think you'd likley ultimately be successful with the previous strategy, but if you'd like to get it done "sooner rather than later" i would try the above.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Still no luck at $95

I was told others in our group could bid but they would have the same mailing address we used. Would that disqualify any more attemps?

Are there any 'break points' in bidding such as 6 weeks before, after midnight....don't know just random thoughts.

I will try again tomorrow. I did read the reviews posted on your list of hotels. When I read the reviews and tried to get a quote through tripadvisor eg. Expedia ... the Grand hyatt, Palomar, Marriott all said they were sold out. Not sure if that is really sold out or just out of the rooms available at the discount.

Where should I start tomorrow? USE

Expedia is not a very good source for 'true inventory'... only trustworthy place is the hotel's own website. Seems like getting this done 'reasonably' is more important than overpaying by a couple of dollars; if that is the case this is how i would proceed:

Select 4* USE...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90.

It seldome takes more than the above to be successful in this zone, but if/when it does, users often decide to include the USW zone in their bidding as the increased cost of the USE zone isn't justified given the proximity of the zones... however, if you want USE i think it's too early to be settling for your second choice of zones. I would stick with the above for a couple of weeks (until the beginning of September) and re-evaluate at that time if you still haven't had success. If you feel a need to get something prior to that let us know and we'll advise with a slightly modified approach, but to get a 'good' price i think it's prudent to stick with the above for awhile.

I called these hotels or went to their web site and got the same answer....no rooms available. Grand Hyatt, Palamar, Mariott, Westin St Francis.

Would seem this is not a good sign............. :)

Should I still try tomorrow or wait? I believe there is a physicians convention but isn't there always conventions?

There is a convention going on that goes through the 29th, perhaps some attendees are not leaving until the 29th and some are staying over longer. This is the convention:The Wireless Association Wireless I.T. & Entertainment 2005 Tuesday, 9/27/2005 through Thursday, 9/29/2005 Attendance: 13000

Maybe if you split your bid, go for the 30 or the 31st to the 4th and look for the other dates in other areas or try to fill those dates later. Are your plans firm?

So what is the opinion of our more experienced members? Should I just wait until September as suggested? It would seem there are no real bargains at this point. I had planned on trying today but the above list reader makes me feel it is pointless. I thought the fact I needed two rooms for 5 days was a problem but I see the request for a much shorter stay was also unsuccessful.

I didn't suggest you wait until September... i suggested you continue with the above strategy until September (so try 2-3 more times over the next 10 days or so).

I figured once you're within a month of your stay you could then start to consider other options (such as adding USW and/or other zone(s) as well as SPLITTING YOUR BID).

The Hyatt Regency is a frequent acceptor in this area and although rates are high, they are not totally out of line with rates when we have seen prior acceptances.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]