Priceline Hotel: Need help for Hamburg

karinski
By karinski,
in

Please follow-up your previous Hotwire Boston thread with whatever you ended up doing for that trip, then click each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links and reply to this thread, we'll have a look at your post above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

When following-up your threads please post what you did do for the stay... not just what you didn't.

For your Hamburg trip, are you willing to pay more for a 5* vs. a 4* OR is the goal the least expensive 4* or better for this trip?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am happy to pay more for a 5*, but a 4* is fine if that's what we get. I am more worried about the location as Hamburg seems to only have one zone, and I don't want to be out of the city. I'd like to be as central as possible. I'm not sure if that's possible to predict in this case"?

I am more worried about the location as Hamburg seems to only have one zone, and I don't want to be out of the city. I'd like to be as central as possible. I'm not sure if that's possible to predict in this case"?

You have to be prepared to stay ANYWHERE within the boundaries of the zone map. With Priceline bidding there is no way to "predict". With Hotwire, the "educated guess" as to the hotel can help you get a location, but even that is not for certain.

I did zoom way in on the Hamburg map and see many parts of it are nicely covered with little blue "U"s indicating Underground transport. But there are some other areas not so well covered. I saw one symbol I think might be a train station. You don't mention whether you are from the US or elsewhere. But if you are from the US and not familiar with Europe's public transportation, you are in for a pleasant surprise. Even without an underground line, there most likely is a really good network of buses. If public transport would serve your trip plans, you might consider the further out areas.

Did you look at the Priceline list of Hamburg hotels other members have reported getting? First post in this Priceline -Other Countries area. While it is always possible to get new hotel (has happened to me several times), the reported hotels will at least give you an idea of what you might get.

Romelle

I am happy to pay more for a 5*, but a 4* is fine if that's what we get.

It's not clear from your post, if going the PRICELINE route did you want to first bid for a 5* hotel up to your $183/nite budget OR try for the least expensive 4* or better up to your maximum $183/nite bid?
I am more worried about the location as Hamburg seems to only have one zone, and I don't want to be out of the city. I'd like to be as central as possible. I'm not sure if that's possible to predict in this case"?
As per Romelle's comments above, with PRICELINE you can't target (or avoid) any part of the zone... you have to be willing to accept a hotel anywhere within the zone boundaries. With HOTWIRE you can take an educated guess as to the hotel being offered (and therefore, assuming your guess is correct, have an idea of where the hotel is located) but also often see the breakdown of reviews by previous HOTWIRE guests where one of the categories is 'Location of Hotel' which could give you a bit of insight/comfort in knowing that the hotel is in a convenient location.

The trade-off is that HOTWIRE usually costs a little more than PRICELINE, so you have to decide if it's worth a little more to have a bit more information regarding the hotel.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Yes. I wasn't sure whether the board was aware perhaps of there not being a certain * of hotel or anything like that in the further regions as I know there are often occasions like that. I think in this instance I will just stick to HOTWIRE as there isn't a huge amount of info on Hamburg and I don't want to end up being out by the airport or something like that. I'll let you know how i get on if I book via HOTWIRE. thanks.

As a "local" I'll try to help with some information.

The airport of Hamburg is a so named "City Airport". Meens that it is not outside of Hamburg as many other airports are - because of the noise not very funny for citizens as I am. However as Romelle already mentioned, from the Airport with the Underground you'll be directly in the middle of the city in less than 30 minutes.

On the other hand, if you tried a 5* you'll be on the safe side because none of them is outside, ALL (even if not listed) are in downtown of Hamburg. So again, you might try HOTWIRE, or perhaps for the same amount a 5* on PRICELINE.

Good luck.

• 10 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]