Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco Help with Strategy

sauvignonblanca
By sauvignonblanca,
in

Hi all,

Went to San Francisco two years ago and got the Hilton on O'Farrell for $85/night, incl. taxes. Was wondering if anything like that price would be even remotely possible for 12/9 - 12/14? So far, not even close. Bidding history:

4-star Financial District

$80 - $110 (using rebid zones): not accepted

4-star Union East

$80-$110 (using rebid zones): not accepted

Any idea whether a sub-$120 price might be possible closer to our travel dates? Looks like there's a 4-star on Hotwire for $140 in Union Square East. Every time I book on Hotwire more than a month out, it seems that prices drop later...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Welcome to Betterbidding

Sharing any prior wins would be greatly appreciated.

$120 may not be enough, but probably not too far off. What would be your desired budget per night for this stay?

There is no way to know if rates will come down closer to your dates; they could potentially go higher as well.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for the feedback! Messages read :).

My desired budget would be sub $120/night; the lower, the better. If we can't get a four-star for less than that, we may just pay full price for a 2-star in a desired area. Location is more important to us than comfort for this trip, and budget reigns above all else. No point in going to San Francisco if you're too broke to enjoy fresh oysters and great wine :).

When bidding 4* in San Francisco you have SEVEN re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Financial...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $88, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $93, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $98, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* USE...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $88, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $93, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $98, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Financial and USE...

Bid $103, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $108, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $113, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120

Any questions feel free to ask.

If the above is unsuccessful i'd looking for a fully refundable back-up plan so that you have something that will work for your needs and budget while also giving you the flexibility of continuing to try PRICELINE / HOTWIRE in the weeks ahead. You can also use our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com that should help you find something thru 'retail' channels that meets your desired location and budget preferences. Also, as you get closer, if still unsuccessful you may want to try 3.5* and 3* bidding in the zone(s) above, which may end up being a better deal then whatever 2* you book at a back-up.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes and keep us updated on your progress and/or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

As a cancelable backup, I would book the Holiday Inn Golden Gateway for $78/nite on Lastminutetravel.com, via LMT club...cancelable up to 3 days before checkin. It's in a reasonable location right next to the California line cable car terminus, and near some major bus routes, as well as close proximity to restaurants. That way you can keep bidding via Priceline. Good luck.

I would be very hesitant to stay at the Cova Hotel if I were you.

It's pretty much in the Tenderloin, and not just on the edge. There's a discussion in the San Francisco forum on TripAdvisor. I would look at that and possibly try to change my plans, were I you. slruud was wise in suggesting the HIGG - it's in a nicer area and the cable car down California is usually doable. Not nearly as crowded as the Powell line.

Hopefully, something will come up via PRICELINE or HOTWIRE and you won't have to worry about it....

Thanks for the advice :). I actually used to live in the East Bay, and frequently visited a friend that lived in an apartment building a few blocks away from the Cova. While I wouldn't walk around many streets around there at night by myself, I've actually found it to be a unique and interesting neighborhood - with some of the best Indian and Vietnamese food in the city (although I never did find Bahn Mi that measured up to South Bay standards). I'd much rather stay in the Tenderloin than much of Oakland, Richmond, or even the Western Addition.

I would've included Civic Center West in my original search, but I had a less-than-stellar service experience there once at the Hilton Union Square, and would rather avoid that particular hotel.

Appreciate the well-meant advice, though :). I know many people in the city who would avoid that area at all costs.

Well, as long as you know what you're getting into.....

Before I moved to SF, I stayed on Market St in the Civic Center Area at what is now the Whitcomb; was then a Radisson or Ramada or something. I took a walk from there straight down Jones or Turk Street, up towards Nob Hill, trying to meet a friend or something. For me, it was such an unpleasant experience, I vowed not to stay near there again. So I haven't.

That being said, I looked at the Cova's website, and it does seem like they have a nice property with nice rooms. So I'm sure it will all work out, one way or another.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]