Hotwire Hotel: 2.5* Calgary (Airport YYC) Country Inn and Suites

misconduct
By misconduct,
in

I reviewed the available Calgary properties for my stay dates on Hotwire and saw the 2.5 star option for the YYC Airport zone. While the BB Hotwire list didn't have a 2.5 star hotel identified yet, I was fairly certain the property would either be the Country Inn and Suites (I thought it might have been reclassified, since the BB list had it as a 3* property) or the Holiday Inn Express.

After comparing the list of known properties on the BB Priceline and Hotwire hotel lists, I decided against bidding on Priceline. Hotwire listed the awful 3* Radisson in the YYC Airport zone as a best buy (it was actually cheaper than the 2.5* option on Hotwire) and the hotel also lists with Priceline... I feared getting upgraded by Priceline to the 3* Radisson. I proceeded to purchase the $83 2.5 star option and confirmed it was the Country Inn and Suites.

Rate per night: CAD 83.27

Nights: 2

Rooms: 1

Tax recovery charges & fees: CAD 31.07

Subtotal: $194.60

Listed amenities are: Free Parking, Free Breakfast, Indoor pool(s), Pool(s), Business Center, with a 100% Hotwire satisfaction rating. The Hotwire Canada hotel list should be updated to note the star rating change. It's a perfect win for me, as I'm staying next door at the Hampton Inn the night before since work is paying for that stay. Lowest rate on the hotel website is $134.10 with CAA/AAA discount.

I have a tip for anyone looking at properties in the YYC Airport zone. I travel to Calgary at least twice a month for work and have stayed in almost every 2.5* or higher hotel in the area. Don't bid for a 3 star property in the YYC Airport zone unless you can rule out the Radisson... it will be fine for a one night for unfussy travelers but the rooms are worn, the walls can be thin, the internet strength is dodgy, the beds are uncomfortable, no free breakfast, and service is inconsistent in the restaurant and lounge. The hotel was once owned by a local hotel conglomerate that owned a half dozen mediocre Alberta properties with the same issues I listed above. While the Radisson has completed some cosmetic renovations and upgraded a few rooms, the overall issues persist.

The 2.5 star options in the area are much better value (free reliable internet, better walkable dining options, free breakfast) and are much more comfortable than the 3* Radisson. It may even be worth paying rack rate at the 2.5 star options in the area on the weekend when prices drop because of the free parking, internet and breakfast at a lot of the properties. Consider staying at the Country Inn and Suites, Hampton Inn (not a Hotwire property but my favorite for their excellent staff and comfy beds), or Holiday Inn Express in the area. The best 3* options in the area are the Four Points by Sheraton (an identified Hotwire property), the Hilton Garden Inn and the new Courtyard by Marriot (both are not identified with Hotwire or Priceline).

Also, for those considering Calgary downtown properties, parking in downtown Calgary is exorbitant even on weekends (in the $30 range per day)and there may not be in-out parking privileges. Staying in any area other than downtown usually means free parking.

Used the BB HOTWIRE link to begin my bid.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]