Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Harrisburg - York (Harrisburg) Sheraton Harrisburg/Hershey

CrazyOne
By CrazyOne,
in

Note: this win included an "add nights for the same rate" link.

Not too surprising actually after 4-5 rounds of bidding. Several days of scanning Hotwire and the Priceline Express Deals plus the regular available pricing on PL led me to believe that I might not even get a 3.5* with PL bid. The prices for the two places on the regular booking side of Priceline (Hilton and Sheraton are it on that side) were $140 and up and there were no 3.5* Express Deals.

I bid up to high $40s a few times then yesterday bid $50 for 3.5* and still nothing. Then each of the last few days I also did some bidding for 3*. There was a 3* deal at $48 on Express Deals but I bid 3* up to $42 or $43 yesterday and still didn't get one! (Actually there was one at $48 and one at $49 in zones that I had included in the bid.) Hotwire had their 3.5* at $59 (although one of the earlier times it was as low as $53), but a hotel they have listed as 3.5* was a 3* on Priceline. I wouldn't have minded that one assuming that was it, but I'm still trying to get the price a little lower.

Basically I was ready to keep at it a couple more days or maybe just take one of the Express Deals or Hotwire but yesterday I got a little hint that I think I figured out: on my very last 3* bid, it gave me a counter offer, increase to $51 and get a win. I think the bid at the time was $43, maybe $42. Now with a 3* Express Deal at $48 and $49, what does that tell you? Think about it for a sec. Despite the fact that this could be entirely separate inventory, it's not likely they would have you bid more than the Express Deals at the same star level. So my hunch was that if I had bumped to $51 they would upgrade me to 3.5* for a win. But I decided to skip it and wait another day and think about it, debating whether I want to pay that much.

Well, today I bid up to $50 again with no luck and had one more easy rebid, and I thought well what the heck, it's only another buck or two. I can hardly complain given the other going rates for these places. I hate to miss because I'm $1 short so I couldn't bring myself to put $51 in there. I put in $52 and here's the win. It's quite possible it would win at $51 though, but NOT at $50. There is a AAA rate I would qualify for at $129 that night, but that's the lowest I've seen for this property so this is pretty good!

I wore out those little boxes at the top of the page over the last few days, between this and the Fishkill NY night before Thanksgiving win. Sure does come in handy for starting a new bid at lower star level for example, plus to get the Hotwire and Priceline windows open at the same time.

Offer Price: $52.00

Rooms: 1

Nights: 1 + Add nights for the same rate!

Room Subtotal: $52.00

Taxes & Fees: $13.16

Total Charged to Card: $65.16

Interesting. Must be NY law that they separate the tax and fees? I thought that was something different on my other win yesterday. This one does not separate the tax and fees.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]