Priceline Hotel: 5* Venice 10/11 - 10/14

dufman
By dufman,
in

No success yet but just thought I would post my results here so far.

Tried 165 - 180 in four separate bids for a 5* in Venice but no dice yet. Going to continue trying with over the next week raising my bids by $10 each time and will post back results. Am trying to get two bids in per day as there are no 5*'s in Mestre. If anyone has better ideas pls let me know.

Will continue to post back results

Using MAPS and HOTELS.com the best rate i'm seeing for a 5* hotel for these dates is $560+ so a win around the $200 mark would seem to be tough, how high are you willing to bid before lowing your star rating?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hadn't see the MAPS and HOTELS.com tool - this looks really cool! Is this something developed by better bidding?

Yes, we own and developed MAPS and HOTELS.com based upon what features i wanted/needed to assist others in researching their hotel stays, which is why it has the ability to sort/filter so many different ways. We also have a new feature in the works for that site as we speak (i'm guessing 2-3 weeks away since we have other projects in the works as well) which i think will be a HUGE addition to that site as well (that's all i'll say at the moment ;) ). Glad you like the it!

$250 would be the highest I want to go. In your experience what would be the expected winning bid based on a $560 price on maps and hotels?

It's difficult to say what the right price is... but $250 will not likely be enough. When hotel rates spike to a very high level, it's indicative of very high demand, and although their is more margin for the hotel during these times, they are also in less of a need to discount since the demand is high and they would prefer to take their chances selling the room themselves at full price. So while discounts of 50% or more are common thru PRICELINE and HOTWIRE, it tends not to be when rates (and demand) are very high.

With this said you do have a little time on your side so i would certainly try up to your maximum, but i would say the odds of success (based upon current rates) are somewhat low.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The same deal for the San Clemente Palace is also available for $275/nite thru Hotels.com and includes breakfast and is refundable. However, note that this is for a standard double room and is on San Clemente Island, which is outside of PRICELINE's "Venice" zone.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (or the board's Hotels.com link should you go that route)

Let us know what you ultimately decide or if we can be of further help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]