England London Thistle Marble Arch

wcj1
By wcj1,
in

(Decided that I will try to start writing reviews. Wrote this review for another site awhile ago.)

Had room 381. Must have recently been redone as all was in good condition. Some of the wood furniture was scratched some, but that was the only blemish.

Room was on an inner-courtyard with view of ducts, but that was fine as we wanted quiet. We also had 2 twin beds, but as we were both jetlagged, we didn't want to share a double either. Never heard noise from other rooms.

Room had a good-sized sitting area with a love seat, coffee table, a writing desk and chair, and I think another chair. The TV sat on top of the minibar console and we were able to remove drinks from the minibar and add our own without being charged. TV was fine with some radio channels and at least german channels. Could see your bill online. I paid $66 before VAT on priceline. I saw that the rate including VAT was 50# (maybe 50.50#). TV welcomed me with my name on the screen as I came in the room.

A good amount of storage with various closets and at least one drawer and a place to lay at least one medium/large suitcase flat.

The bathroom was in good condition. Only a small door for the shower which meant some water spilled out and 2 separate hot/cold faucets at the sink, altough they were next to each other. The bathroom was good sized and not cramped at all. We noticed that we did not have quite enough towels the first night, but we got by and did not complain. The maid stocked enough towels the next day without us asking, so it was good that it was noticed.

Check-in and out was fairly quick. It was obvious I was priceline as the check-in clerk pulled a sheet out which listed me and 3 other priceline customers checking in.

Hotel entrance is on the backside, away from Oxford street. It was 1.5 blocks from the Marble Arch tube. It was 2 blocks from a Sainsbury's (just past the tube) which is a small grocery. A Marks & Spencers a couple of blocks the opposite (east) way on Oxford. I found myself loving the grocery stores in London and the ability to pick up cheap (2-3#) and good sandwiches to eat.

Overall we were very happy with the hotel and we hope that we get it again when we go next year.

BillJ

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Compared to the few other Priceline hotels I have stayed at, the Thistle Marble Arch is the most romantic (not small though - close to 800 rooms). The decor in the lobby is charming, and the rooms have a retro feel to them, yet in great condition. The room was large, they gave us a triple room at no extra charge to sleep our 3-year old.

On the downside, the service was cold at best. No room service one day due to my son napping, but no effort to come back later. When I called for the items that we needed, it took over 1.5 hours and a second phone call. When we checked in, there was not one person whose mother tongue was English at the front desk. Neither the check-in clerk nor myself could understand each other. Practically every question or statement was followed by, 'What?' To be fair, I think the clerk was new, but still annoying.

I agree with the previous post about food in the area. We didn't upgrade, so we ate breakfast out every morning, which was usually scones from Marks and Spencer, one block away. The food area is excellent & top quality, and open early before the rest of the department store. The scones were the best we've ever had. I gotta mention Pret a Manger, a sandwich place now all over the place in London, with one right next to the Marble Arch tube station. Great sandwiches, always fresh.

Despite the cool service, we would stay again due to the nice room and great location.

• 4 months later...

We just completed two stays at the Thistle Marble Arch. First was a two night stay (March 9-10, 2006), the second a four day stay (March 12-16, 2006). I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. The check in was fast and smooth. No mention of priceline and no push to upgrade. We are a family of four, so I had booked two rooms. They were very kind to allow us early check in and accomodated us with two connecting rooms. It was like having a suite. We had paid $60 per room so it was a great value.

The rooms were clean and updated. Each had a table and two chairs for sitting. A desk area and chair with internet connection. We didn't use it. Baths were roomy and had a nice selection of toiletries. Rooms had a mini fridge which was nice. There was a pot that made hot water and came with instant coffee, tea and hot chocolate.

The hotel is located just off Oxford St. You are about 1/2 block from the Marble Arch tube station on the Central line. For those with small kids, there is a Pizza Hut and McDonalds nearby. Marks and Spencers is only a block away and they have a complete grocery store on the lower level. We would purchase fruit, sandwiches, milk, sodas and stock our mini fridge.

We did have breakfast at the hotel two mornings and it is pricey...but I did not have to pay for the kids (age 6 and 7) They do not offer anything ala carte. Your choice is either continental or full English breakfast priced at 12 and 15 pounds. There is a snack/cafe off the main lobby that offered sandwiches for a lower cost.

This hotel takes up an entire city block. So on our second stay, our rooms were quite a hike from the lifts. It didn't bother us, but it should be noted.

All in all, we were most pleased. London is a very expensive city but this was by far our best bargain.

• 1 month later...

Booked trough Priceline for $60, which really is very good price for London. Room on 8th floor was in in good condition with big bathroom.

Good location, Oxford street has all the big department stores and Marble arch tube is 1 1/2 blocks away.

Generally we were really happy with the hotel, room was quiet and good size for London, service was ok and price you hardly can beat.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]