Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Times Square - Theatre District) Doubletree Suites By Hilton Nyc Times Square

kellystreet
By kellystreet,
in

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and Priceline/Hotwire. Any help is appreciated.

Travel dates: Mon, Sept 17 - Sat, Sept 22

Desired highest price: $180

Star rating: 4

Priceline zones: Times Square - Theatre District, Midtown West, Central Park South, Upper East Side

We'd also like to be within minutes (walking) of a subway station, so if any of these zones have known hotels far from a station, that info would be great.

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

There are no 4* hotels offered thru PRICELINE in the UES zone so we won't include that in your bidding... this leaves TS, CPS and MTW. 2 out of the 3 (TS and CPS) are some of the most expensive zones in NYC at the 4* level, and your traveling at one of the most expensive times of year for this area, which i think gives you a low chance of winning a 4* hotel at $180 or below.

To give it a try:

When bidding 4* in NYC you have SEVEN re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* TS and MTW...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS and CPS...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS and MTW and CPS...

Bid $163, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $168, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $173, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the detailed advice. I'll have to see if I can talk my wife into it. We've booked a hotel (which we can cancel) across the river in NJ and plan on taking the bus over. The positive about that is free breakfast, which no 4* hotel would offer. Maybe we'll try a couple nights in Manhattan and the rest in NJ.

I've got to do a little research before starting to bid to make sure there are no hotels we wouldn't want, proximity to the subway, etc.

I made bids in the Times Square zone last night around 9 PM. It's 10 PM the next night and it's not allowing me to place the same bids at the higher rates. I thought after 24 hours, I could bid again with the same zone and star level. We'll see if it's fixed in the morning.

If I place the same bid too early does it reset the 24 hours to that latest failed bid?

La Quinta Inn & Suites Secaucus Meadowlands. $145/night.

Please check for and use the links in our Support Page for your non-opaque purchases, as we have links there to most of the major hotel chains and online booking agencies, include La Quinta.

It's been well over 24 hours and it's not letting me rebid. Am I missing something?

Has it been 24 hours since your last bid which included this zone... or only 24 hours since you started bidding? For instance, if you start bidding at 10am and by adding re-bid zones, getting up to get coffee, etc, etc, you don't finishing bidding until 11am, then you need to wait until after 11am (not 10am) to try bidding again.

By the way . . . I have Priceline send me an alert whenever someone gets a 4-star deal in TS or MTW under $200. According to these alerts, this has happened 3 times in the last week.

These alerts are not very meaningful since they are not specific to your dates. Your trip is in September which is high-season, and the alerts you're getting could be for August which is typically low season and rates are much cheaper.

Gone up to $200 with no luck in Times Square and Mid-town West. Really don't want to go over. Would it help to shorten the dates? Instead of Mon-Sat just do Thu-Sat?

Why only these two zones? If your back-up plan is to stay in NJ, certainly there are other Manhattan zones that could work for your needs and be more convenient then your stay in NJ option.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We want to be within blocks of the subway. Any zones to avoid?

Are you only bidding the 4* level? If so, MTE, MTW, TS, CPS, and ESB are usually all centrally located and work well for the average user. Most 4* Downtown hotels are close to subways but it will take about 20-25 minutes to get to midtown each time you need to head in that direction. The Soho zone is also being bid frequently since PRICELINE split it from the rest of the Downtown zone so that may be one to look at if you are interested in that area.

NOTE: if bidding less than 4* then there are different zone comments that need to be addressed

If bidding only 4* at this point let us know which zones are acceptable (or ask any questions you may have) and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

I will be visiting for same period (Springsteen concert). Prices seem to be going down slightly, so there still is time / hope for a good rate. When deciding on NJ vs. Manhattan, you should also factor in the cost / time of tansporation from NJ versus the convenience of a hotel in Manhattan. As a frequent visitor to the City, I find it nice to be no more than a short subway or taxi ride back to the hotel to drop off packages and rest. The convience far outways the extra cost. With proper reaearch and planning a deal can always be found!

Exactly what information are you seeing differently in the hotel lists vs. the Priceline Maps (the maps only contain reported wins since about summer 2007).

Also, not sure if you are or aren't, but DO NOT use the hotel lists to determine your re-bid zones. The only method that should be used is discussed here: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained

If you're unsure feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zone with the board.

Let us know how we can be of further help.

Thanks for all your help. What I saw on the map vs the hotel list was 2 missing hotels on the map in the 4-5* range in Times Square -- the Chatwal and the Intercontinental. I checked again and these 2 are listed on the map page on the lower left side but are not shown on the actual map.

I've been using the map to see where hotels are in relation to subways and landmarks but not to determine rebid zones.

Thanks.

What I saw on the map vs the hotel list was 2 missing hotels on the map in the 4-5* range in Times Square -- the Chatwal and the Intercontinental... these 2 are listed on the map page on the lower left side but are not shown on the actual map.

If you click the names of the hotel to the left of the map you should receive a message that "This Hotel Not Shown on Map". These will be added once some further work on the backend is completed.

Madison Square Garden now has a 4*. Any idea what it is?

Not yet.

MSG should be removed as a rebidding zone for 4* searches in Manhattan.

Correct... now there are only SIX re-bid zones at both the 3.5* and 4* levels.

I've bid up to $200 in the following:

4* TS, MTE, MTW, ESB, CPS

3.5* TS

with no luck. Any further advice? Should I split my dates? It's a pretty long stay (Mon-Sat). Should I look at other zones or fewer stars?

At current rates, for the zones and star rating that you've bid, i think you'll need to be closer to $300 than $200. If you're willing to change hotels you can try SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID, but a quick look i'm not sure just how much it will help unless you're willing to move outside of Midtown and include Downtown in your bidding. If you have to 'give' someplace, not sure if you're preference would be in location, star rating, or changing hotels mid-stay.

And only bidding the Times Square zone at the 3* level?

Please confirm and we'll have a look at rates for this area (or any others that you intend to include in your bidding at the 3* level).

I'd like to try going down to 3.5* and then 3* star in TS, MTW, and CPS. I'd like to stay below $180 but could go to $200 if you think $180 is unlikely.

After that I'll open it up to other zones like Downtown. The purpose of our trip is to visit landmarks and museums. Any other zones I should begin to consider? Chelsea, Madison Square Garden, Soho?

Thanks. This advice and help has been awesome.

I'd start at $160 and head higher by $5's up to $200 at the 3.5* level in Midtown for these dates, and if that isn't accepted, starting over at 3* and working towards your max. Unfortunately, based on HOTWIRE rates for these dates, $180 is unlikely and $200 is likely going to be very difficult.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]