PDX warning (RENT OUT OF COUNTY)

daawgon
By daawgon,
in

Warning/savings for Portland, Oregon renters:

You can save a bundle by not renting at Portland airport! Based on a quote from Budget for this sample, you can save $32. by going off airport, next county

sample for 8/5, Full Size,

Portland Airport/PDX quoted base=61.99;est total=77.86

off airport quoted base=44.99;est total=45.32

the off airport location is Beaverton (direct rail transfer from airport, approx. 1 hour travel time) not the same county as PDX

I did not carry that last one far enough! Now I see that Priceline has an "off airport" section for car rentals, and I ran the same rental through that:

(when you go to PL/Off Airport, you select the agency, so I selected Budget)

sample for 8/5, Full Size

Beaverton quoted base=39.94;est total=40.27

Using the Priceline/Off Airport(Beaverton)/Budget-Rent-a-car/full size quote,

I save $37. on this transaction/1 day

If this is an actual trip you're considering, then allow me to spare you the 1-hour train trip to Beaverwhatever: Travelocity has an Alamo car for you right there at PDX for $36 on 8/5. This is for a Standard, with free upgrade to Full. Estimated total: $45.29. And if you miss that deal, then SideStep will get you a smaller car for $37. In Terminal.

There is almost always some website that has a low rate. Always check Travelocity, Expedia, SideStep and even Hotwire. Then check all rental car company websites: Avis, Alamo, Budget, National, etc. and not forgetting Payless!

Heck in places like Chicago and Indianapolis, not only is Alamo and National the same company but the same lot and same cars, Having just a Debit card until recently it was the only way for me to rent, and at both of these locations my car was driven out of the lot with a national key tag and national licence plate holder and at EWH I was directed by a sign to the National counter.

Avis and Budget are both owned by cendant along with Ramada, Days Inn, Super 8, and a couple other hotel chains.

DollerThrifty is also a multibrand rental company

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]