Priceline Hotel: Seoul Bidding Assistance

MojojojoYYZ
By MojojojoYYZ,
in

Hello Everyone!

New to BB, happy to be here and glad there are people helping each other out with bidding assistance.

Will be sure to bid through the PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links so that this site gets the acknowledgement it deserves.

I'm writing for some help in regards to bidding for Seoul, South Korea.

I depart on the 29th October 2012 and will be staying there for a few nights. I just wanted to ask, is it too early? I think I'm thinking too much like airline tickets, the earlier you book the cheaper it can be? Or am I being naive? Give me a heads up!

Cheers!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

It's not too early, nor is it too late, to bid... rate are based upon supply/demand and a hotel can be 'behind' on their bookings at any time and make inventory available to the opaque suppliers in an attempt to 'catch-up' to where they'd like to be. For more on this subject see the related 'Bid Early or Close to Check-in' link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Are you dates first... do you know your check-out date?

Which zone(s) are you willing to accept and what is your desired star rating and maximum budget?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Howdy thereuare,

Thanks for moving the topic to a more appropriate forum and responding with the "Bid Early or Close to Check-In" link. I had a chance to go over the info and it hasnt helped my indecisiveness. Hmm I've always had trouble with how pricey Seoul hotels or Asia hotels have been in general, so hopefully I can use Priceline as a first to get a lovely rate at least for the two nights that I'm looking for. Its kinda end of season intro to low season so we'll see.

I'm aiming for a check in of 30OCT12 and check out of 02NOV12 for Zone 1 and 2 for either a 3 or 4 star.

Current Median Prices showing on Priceline

Zone 1 (South Central Seoul)

4* 180$

3* 196$

Zone 2 (Downtown Seoul)

4* 229$

3* 226$

And with knowing how pricey it can be with hotels in Seoul and my experience of reserving a love hotel on Travelocity, I'm aining for $140-$160 which I hope is not seeming to be lowballing.

Any advice would be much appreciated! And I am going to definitely try booking a hotel at the fully refundable rate at least to have something until I make a breakthrough with Better Bidding.

Cheers!

Hotwire has a Downtown Seoul 4* for $128 for your dates. You can see the details by using the Hotwire box up above, left side.

Hotwire tends to be a little more expensive, so that suggests you should start 4* bidding lower than $128. And if you bid for a 3*, even somewhat lower.

Priceline advertises savings "up to 60%". That doesn't happen very often, but you've got time to check even that low. 60% of the $180 you mentioned is $108.

Don't worry about "low-balling". Sometimes it even works. And you'll find it more frustrating if your first bid succeeds. You'll be left wondering just how much lower you could have started.

Romelle

What did you want to try first... try for a 4* hotel in either the South Central Seoul or Downtown Seoul zones with a maximum bid of $160?

Also, you can use our newly updated MAPS and HOTELS.com for help in finding a back-up reservation (just check the cancellation terms before you book) as you can easily sort by price, star rating, etc.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So I went ahead and already attempted today for a hotel. Started at 80$ and worked my way up to 100$. I tried at first for South Central Seoul, then included Downtown Seoul. So I'm going to wait this out a little bit maybe things might get better, I'm now looking around for decent refundable hotels.

Will check out the links you gave me and will update my strategies and steps taken tomorrow when I attempt again.

And I am certain that I'm using the better bidding links when I begin my travel purchases! :)

I'm glad to hear you've tried a little bidding, and carefully tested the "lowball" area. I've had a few happy surprises when I was doing that. And when I wasn't aggressive enough, remorse when that first bid was successful.

A few more things for you that you may not yet have found:

Under Support Page above are links to lots of hotels.

Under PRICELINE FAQ is a good discussion on whether to bid early or late.

At the very beginning of this Priceline - Other Countries is a list of hotels other bidders have reported here. There are a few Seoul hotels on it.

At the very end of this site is Hotel Reviews. I'm not sure if there are any Seoul reviews there, but wanted you to know about it.

And finally, if you aren't already familiar with it, www.tripadvisor.com is a great source of hotel reviews.

Happy hunting,

Romelle

Hey Guys!

So apparently I won a hotel! Go me!

I was super excited as I $90-$95-$100...and then $110 I got a win! Sweet! But then I looked up the location of the hotel and was shocked as this hotel is in an area its not the area thats shaded on the Name Your Own price map.

I'm on the line with customer relations in regards to this as this hotel is quite far from central Seoul itself. Infact its on the southern side of the Han River which separates the Northern part to the Southern part. The only zone that is listed on the southern side is Seocho-Gu - Gangnam-Gu.

Will let ya know what happens.

***UPDATE***

So apparently the agent told me that yes, this is a mistake and they would have to send it to corporate to update this info on the website.

I was told that if I attempt to bid that Zone there is a chance that I would get the same hotel again. So was told if I wanted a hotel in South Central Zone that I should book it the normal way. Excuse me? :)

Oi vey, he said that it would take some time for the hotel to be updated in the Priceline system. And well he is cancelling the hotel I bid and refunding me within 5-7 business days apparently.

At least they were nice at customer service/customer relations. Inconvenience...a little, but what can ya do!

The hotel that I "won" is:

Best Western Premier Guro Hotel

4 star South Central Seoul

1128-1 Guro-Dong, Guro-Gu , Seoul, Republic Of Korea

Sorry to see this happened to you but glad to see the issue was resolved.

I would either wait 2 weeks before bidding again, OR you can have a look at HOTWIRE if you're looking to get this done sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the report.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]